TC-885-ACCFLi5o - SSD as boot drive?

NoloFour
NoloFour Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
Have read pertinent posts regarding adding an SSD via the M.2 interface in my new TC-885-ACCFLi5o.  It appears I can clone the 2TB HDD to a 1TB SSD and make the SSD my boot drive.  I don't mind completely removing the HDD.

Haven't purchased the SSD yet nor a "kit" for the install, any recommendations or "got'chas" to watch out for?

Best Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Good night NoloFour !

This model supports SSD with M.2 slot 2280 for both Sata 3 and PCIe.

As for cloning, cloning HDD from 2Tb to a 1Tb SSD will fail.
    Both should have the same storage space.
    You may try to reduce the HDD's disk space.
    but remember that in cloning the hidden partitions of Acer and icialización must be cloned as well.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited May 2019 Answer ✓
    NoloFour said:
    Ordered a "Samsung 970 EVO Plus Series - 1TB PCIe NVMe"  M.2 SSD card.  Per specs found for my TC-885-ACCLFi5o motherboard, I believe I can place this in the M2_2 connector which currently holds the Optane memory (if I can get to it).  Does anyone know if that M.2 connector is keyed to the "M form factor"?  That's what the SSD key is.  Also, does Acer have any help on GETTING TO the motherboard? Just removing the side panel won't do it "in this case" (no pun intended).  Thanks all -- great source of information!
    Maybe the video below will help.  The TC-885 requires some extra work to access the M.2 slot.  He shows it in reverse order in the video.  You have to watch the entire video.

https://youtu.be/Tk404ZbKkWE

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• MaClane
    Answer ✓
    Good night NoloFour !

This model supports SSD with M.2 slot 2280 for both Sata 3 and PCIe.

As for cloning, cloning HDD from 2Tb to a 1Tb SSD will fail.
    Both should have the same storage space.
    You may try to reduce the HDD's disk space.
    but remember that in cloning the hidden partitions of Acer and icialización must be cloned as well.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• NoloFour

Tinkerer

Thanks!
    The 2TB hard drive I'd like to clone to an SSD only has 52GB of used space.  I've used Acronis in the past to clone HDDs to SSDs of different sizes, with complete success.  Once cloned, can I use system BIOS to tell it  that I want the SSD to be the boot drive?
  • NoloFour

Tinkerer

J. MaClane, You were correct.  Acronis didn't like cloning the HDD+Optane-Memory to a smaller capacity SSD.   Might it have worked if the 16GB Optane memory were removed/deactivated?   Without Optane involved, I've used Acronis many times to clone larger sized HDDs to smaller sized SSDs (and HDDs), as long as USED space could all fit on the cloned-drive.
    What do you think?  I suspect I'll completely remove the 2TB  HDD once cloning is successful (one way or another).
  • MaClane
    edited May 2019
    In this case, the ideal defragment is the disk before cloning.
    And yes, after cloning you just set it up in Bios.
    If the SSD system does not rise, simply change the order of both systems in MSCONFIG.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• NoloFour

Tinkerer

Ordered a "Samsung 970 EVO Plus Series - 1TB PCIe NVMe"  M.2 SSD card.  Per specs found for my TC-885-ACCLFi5o motherboard, I believe I can place this in the M2_2 connector which currently holds the Optane memory (if I can get to it).  Does anyone know if that M.2 connector is keyed to the "M form factor"?  That's what the SSD key is.  Also, does Acer have any help on GETTING TO the motherboard? Just removing the side panel won't do it "in this case" (no pun intended).  Thanks all -- great source of information!
  • MaClane
    There is no secret.
    Simply remove the 2 screws that secure the side cover and remove it that will already have access to the motherboard.

And yes, the slot key M.2 2280 is key M

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited May 2019 Answer ✓
    NoloFour said:
    Maybe the video below will help.  The TC-885 requires some extra work to access the M.2 slot.  He shows it in reverse order in the video.  You have to watch the entire video.

https://youtu.be/Tk404ZbKkWE

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • NoloFour

Tinkerer

Wow, great information to solve my problem and the video was EXACTLY what I needed.  You guys -- and gals -- are GREAT!  thank you so much! -Bill-
  • NoloFour

Tinkerer

Okay, received the 970 EVO Plus.  I had previously "disassociated" the optane memory and PC ran fine.  I did NOT physically remove it, until I opened the case to install the EVO in its place.  The excellent video you guys provided was great for that was GREAT!
    Everything installed fine; PC boots from the old 2TB HDD, but now, I don't "see" the new M.2 "drive" anywhere in the BIOS.    What's the next step?
    I appreciate all of your help!  -Bill-
  • NoloFour

Tinkerer

Actually, under "Advanced" |"Intel Rapid Storage Technology", I can "see" the PCIe 1.0, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB ...serial#.... under "Non-raid Physical Disks:"     I changed a setting elsewhere that still referred to the Optane memory...changed it to ACHI (or the only other "choice"), but still don't see another drive that I can clone the 2TB drive to....any suggestions?

• MaClane
    Good night !
    In the Windows Disk Manager can you view the SSD?

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™