Acer Aspire E5-575-338M Charging problem.

TEP
TEP Member Posts: 8 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Model: Acer Aspire E5-575-338M
Time owned: 21 months
Issue:
The problem has started recently in the beginning of the year of 2019. The laptop is being moved quite often, from a desk to a table, therefore the charging cord has to be rellocated as well. I usually keep the charger on the laptop all the time, unless there are times like "looking something up in a browser late at night" or "cheching social media and mail early morning" where the latop charger may be off, and the battery isn't being charged. 
It has started with a small, almost unnoticable issue, where after moving the laptop to a different place, plugging in the charger into the laptop would not show that the device is charging and the orange light would not show in front of the laptop. Replugging the wire to the charging port a few times fixes the issue. 
A couple months later, it got worse and worse. I would have to replug the wire up to 50 times before it will start charging. I believe that isn't actually a good thing to do, as mechanically it will weaken the port itself, and may cause damage. 
Lately it can take more than 50 times, before the charger would start working, and I found out that if I turn the device off, while it isn't charging while the charging cable is plugged in, once the laptop shuts down, it will start charging. 
And even now, this trick almost does not work either. 
On the additional note, when the battery is charging during the laptop being operated, sometimes it just stops charging, causing me either to keep replugging the cable or shutting the device down for the trick maybe to work. 
Once the laptop is set on a desk or a table, it is mostly stationary, and the AC adapter does not move. I highly doubt that the problem is with the cable itself or something in the charging port mechanical wise, since wiggling the plug in the port does not help any. The charger can start charging on it's own. 
I believe at one point it will not charge at all. 

I have tried the solutions that were given in the similar topics in this community:

1. Pressing the "battery reset" button with a small pin, while AC adapter is out, and waiting for 15-20 minutes. That worked for me right off the bat for the first time 2 months ago, a day after it changed back to the same state. 

2. Uninstalling the battery drivers in the Device Manager. That did not do the trick either. 

I would apprecite any help on this issue. 

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    You can download the latest version available, which is 1.47! However, before trying to update the bios, you have how to test the notebook with another power adapter and another dc in jack cable to check if the problem remains? Are you plugging the notebook directly into a properly grounded electrical outlet?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• Have you tried upgrading the drivers with the driverbooster or driverpack program? Have you tried updating windows? What is the bios version?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • TEP
    Thank you for your reply. 
    egydiocoelho said:
    Have you tried upgrading the drivers with the driverbooster or driverpack program? Have you tried updating windows? What is the bios version?
    DriverBooster found an update for "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" mine was from 2006. Updated and restarted, but it did not fix anything. Still no charging. 

The Windows is up to date, as it stated, and the latest update on there was 
    KB449364 on April 20th. 

The BIOS is v.1.25
  • TEP
    edited April 2019
    I have redone the steps with resetting the battery again, in case it was needed. At this point I was unable to get the laptop to start charging in any trick I used. I went and rolled back the battery driver to 2006 one. I have also noticed that when the charger is plugged in while the laptop is off, the little lights in the front of the laptop which indicate the "system on" and "battery status" lights blink every second in white color. Their brightness is very low, next to invisible. The battery light sometimes tries to blink orange. 
    That indicates to me, that the system is trying to charge but is unable and keeps trying.
    Update: As I am typing this, I powered the laptop to check, no charge. I then shut it down, and after about 3 minutes the orange light came on, and it started charging.
  • Have you tried to calibrate the battery? How long have you had this notebook? What is the bios version?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• TEP
    edited April 2019
    Have you tried to calibrate the battery? How long have you had this notebook? What is the bios version?
    Yes, I have already tried to calibrate the battery by running it down and charging it. 

As I've stated in the first message. I had this laptop for about 21 months, almost 2 years. 

The BIOS is v.1.25. 
  • Have you tried updating the bios to see if it solved the problem? Do you have how to test with another battery?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• TEP
    Have you tried updating the bios to see if it solved the problem? Do you have how to test with another battery?
    I have not tried to update the bios yet. For this model, there are 12 BIOS/Firmware files in the "Drivers and Manuals" section. Which one would I have to download? 

On this particular model, the battery cannot be removed easily. I would have to disassemble the laptop to get to the battery. On the other hand, as far as I remember, laptops can run without the battery as long as they are plugged in and charging. Not sure about this model, but even if the battery would fail, the laptop would still work if it is plugged in. 
    The battery on this laptop works fine. 
  • TEP
    Here is the list of the files for the BIOS/Firmware updates:

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    You can download the latest version available, which is 1.47! However, before trying to update the bios, you have how to test the notebook with another power adapter and another dc in jack cable to check if the problem remains? Are you plugging the notebook directly into a properly grounded electrical outlet?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• TEP
    edited April 2019
    Yes, the outlet is grounded, and works correctly. I have tested it with a voltmeter. 
    I am on the other hand going to order an another charger, because after all it seems that the charger itself could be the problem. I have tested it with a voltmeter as well, and the numbers were spiking and not stable. The AC box does get quite hot during the charge, but no burnt smell seems to be present. 

I am going to try the charger first, and If that does not work, I will try to update the BIOS. 

Thank you for your assistance so far. 
  • TEP
    edited April 2019
    The new charger has come in today. Out of the box it worked. Unplugging and plugging it back in works without a problem. I will continue to observe the laptop, but I suppose the issue is fixed for right now. 

Thank you very much for your assistance! You have helped me to fix this problem that has been bugging me for a while. 
  • Great, my friend! Keep testing and reporting here!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Xionano
    Xionano Member Posts: 1 New User
    Have almost the same problem in the past two years. My e5-575 has just burnt the 3rd a/c adapter. Problem goes away with new a/c adapter but after a couple of months problems start again. I suppose it's a battery problem. Do i have to replace it or just keep on buying adapters?
  • Ideally, you should create a new post @Xionano

egydiocoelho Trailblazer