Resetting the Travelmate C300 BIOS

Options
onixiya
onixiya Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
So i managed to get 2 old laptops. A travelmate 3200 and a c300. The 3200 doesn't work so i went with the c300. It boots up fine to windows 7 but i want to use linux on it. I got the debian net installer iso, burned it to a cd, and tried to boot the cd directly. I then learned theres a bios password on it and the previous owner(PO) forgot the password. I then remembered that you can start the debian installer off windows so i did that. Debian got installed then it refuses to show a gui. It will show systemd doing its thing for a bit then go to sleep. Tried waking it, showed a bit more stuff, then back to sleep. Afterwards, it just showed a black screen. Recovery mode doesn't do anything different(I'll send a recording of it once i find my phone). I tried booting off a usb with freedos to run cmospwd while the hard drive was taken out. I wanted to use the /k part but it said to not do that on laptops and i don't want to ruin this one. Making the bios have a checksum error with debug doesn't do anything either. Now i know acer can reset the password but apparently theres a fee for it thats ridiculously expensive($100 USD). I also tried those bios password generators multiple times(i get 16343 when i guessed wrong passwords) but none of those have helped. I had a go with the cmos battery being taken out for about 30 minutes but that did nothing. I have no clue what to do now with regards to either getting the password or reseting the bios.

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Options
    Good afternoon onixiya !

The rules of the forum do not allow any kind of sharing of information on access, modification, breaking of passwords in Bios or similar.

In this case only Acer can reinstall.
    Or you can do it yourself if you have knowledge and equipment.
    This procedure does not invalidate any type of machine warranty.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!