Aspire A515-51G charging problem

TorrenoTorreno Member Posts: 5 New User
Hello, I bought a ACER Aspire A515-51G-51D3 laptop almost two years ago. A month and a half ago I encountered some problems with it. When I connect it to the charger, the charging LED and the Power LED blink constantly. I sent it to Warranty two times, both times it worked for a few days, after that I encounter the same problem. The first time it came back from service they told me they Updated the BIOS and the second time they told me they had replaced the main board. Is the charger faulty, should I buy a new one or should I send it to service again. The laptop is used by my brother to play games on it. Thank you for your time.

Best Answer

  • JackEJackE ACE Posts: 23,227 Trailblazer
    Accepted Answer
    >>>Is the charger faulty, should I buy a new one >>>

    If you have a multimeter, the charger should read about 19vdc output between its plug outside and center connectors. They are pretty cheap so you may want to get a replacement. Just google 'a515-51g' and 'charger' .  Jack E/NJ

    Jack E/NJ

FAQ & Answers

  • JackEJackE ACE Posts: 23,227 Trailblazer
    Check the bottom of the laptop for a battery reset pinhole. Remove the charger plug. Gently insert a paperclip into the hole for about 10 seconds to disconnect the battery. Then let the machine rest for 15 minutes. Plug the charger back in. Turn it on again. After booting, open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in the left pane. Then click 'change settings that aren't currently available'. Scroll down and uncheck the box for fast start up. The shut the machine down. Turn it back on again. Jack E/NJ
    Jack E/NJ
  • TorrenoTorreno Member Posts: 5 New User
    JackE said:
    Check the bottom of the laptop for a battery reset pinhole. Remove the charger plug. Gently insert a paperclip into the hole for about 10 seconds to disconnect the battery. Then let the machine rest for 15 minutes. Plug the charger back in. Turn it on again. After booting, open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in the left pane. Then click 'change settings that aren't currently available'. Scroll down and uncheck the box for fast start up. The shut the machine down. Turn it back on again. Jack E/NJ
    Hey, thanks for the hint, I tried that, the laptop charges normaly for a few seconds then, while it's off, both charging and power leds blink longer now (they are lighting on longer before going off).
    I honestly still think it's a hardware problem, I think the charger might be faulty
  • JackEJackE ACE Posts: 23,227 Trailblazer
    Open Device Manager. Click on the Batteries folder. Uninstall all the battery related drivers. Exit Device Manager without installing anything. Shut down. Turn the machine back on. Jack E/NJ
    Jack E/NJ
  • TorrenoTorreno Member Posts: 5 New User
    JackE said:
    Open Device Manager. Click on the Batteries folder. Uninstall all the battery related drivers. Exit Device Manager without installing anything. Shut down. Turn the machine back on. Jack E/NJ
    Hey, thank you for replying back. I have uninstalled all baterry related drivers but I couldn't manage to turn the laptop on again because the battery was too low. I tried to charge it and it does the same thing. 
  • JackEJackE ACE Posts: 23,227 Trailblazer
    Accepted Answer
    >>>Is the charger faulty, should I buy a new one >>>

    If you have a multimeter, the charger should read about 19vdc output between its plug outside and center connectors. They are pretty cheap so you may want to get a replacement. Just google 'a515-51g' and 'charger' .  Jack E/NJ

    Jack E/NJ
  • TorrenoTorreno Member Posts: 5 New User
    JackE said:
    >>>Is the charger faulty, should I buy a new one >>>

    If you have a multimeter, the charger should read about 19vdc output between its plug outside and center connectors. They are pretty cheap so you may want to get a replacement. Just google 'a515-51g' and 'charger' .  Jack E/NJ

    Thank you for your time :)
  • JackEJackE ACE Posts: 23,227 Trailblazer
    Good luck! Jack E/NJ
    Jack E/NJ
  • Akshay920Akshay920 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello all
    I'm having same problem.. Torreno did you found the solution to it.
  • dcunlocksdcunlocks Member Posts: 2 New User
    I am also having same probelm, when laptop is ON charger and charger is connected it automatically connect and disconnect again and again. On power off condition no charging led is blinking.

    Checked device charging port physically it seems to be OK.

    Did anybody know the solution.
  • WerebearWerebear Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have also had issues with my laptop charging and I believe I have identified a different solution.

    My problem has been getting gradually worse over time first appearing almost a year ago. I first noticed the system quit charging when I was playing Civilization 5. I thought that something about the game was stopping it from charging through a software issue.  Stopping play and rebooting would often cure the issue. Reseating the power plug sometimes helped, but it kept getting worse and eventually the power would just flicker when I reseated the cable and it was happening no matter what programs were running.  I went through the steps listed above but nothing helped.

    I decided to take my system apart to see if I could identify what the issue was.  Disconnecting the internal power cable and plugging in the power supply to the external connection, I used a volt meter to check power on the pins that plug into the mother board. Nothing I could do to the cable would interrupt the power so that appeared to clear the power supply and the internal cable. I then inspected the connector on the mother board and discovered one of the pins did not appear to have any solder on it. I used a fine tip screwdriver to push down on the pin and then reassembled the system. I have now used the system for over six hours with not a flicker including at least 4 hours of Civ 5. This application is significant because the laptop runs VERY warm and I believe thermal expansion caused the pin to lift creating the first sign of the problem and the pin has slowly lifted away from the pad over time.

    This is just a temporary fix, I don't have an extra  fine point soldering iron or the skill to resolder the pin, but I work at a place where I am hoping to have friends that can help me. I don't know if this will help anyone else, but it may be something to check.
  • dragongtx1dragongtx1 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Torreno said:
    Hello, I bought a ACER Aspire A515-51G-51D3 laptop almost two years ago. A month and a half ago I encountered some problems with it. When I connect it to the charger, the charging LED and the Power LED blink constantly. I sent it to Warranty two times, both times it worked for a few days, after that I encounter the same problem. The first time it came back from service they told me they Updated the BIOS and the second time they told me they had replaced the main board. Is the charger faulty, should I buy a new one or should I send it to service again. The laptop is used by my brother to play games on it. Thank you for your time.
    ...bro im also facing the same issue.....can anyone help me....
  • TorrenoTorreno Member Posts: 5 New User
    Torreno said:
    Hello, I bought a ACER Aspire A515-51G-51D3 laptop almost two years ago. A month and a half ago I encountered some problems with it. When I connect it to the charger, the charging LED and the Power LED blink constantly. I sent it to Warranty two times, both times it worked for a few days, after that I encounter the same problem. The first time it came back from service they told me they Updated the BIOS and the second time they told me they had replaced the main board. Is the charger faulty, should I buy a new one or should I send it to service again. The laptop is used by my brother to play games on it. Thank you for your time.
    ...bro im also facing the same issue.....can anyone help me....
    I fixed it, I had to send it to service 5 times before they fixed the problem (they even replaced the processor + motherboard, so I practically got a brand new laptop haha)
  • dragongtx1dragongtx1 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Werebear said:
    I have also had issues with my laptop charging and I believe I have identified a different solution.

    My problem has been getting gradually worse over time first appearing almost a year ago. I first noticed the system quit charging when I was playing Civilization 5. I thought that something about the game was stopping it from charging through a software issue.  Stopping play and rebooting would often cure the issue. Reseating the power plug sometimes helped, but it kept getting worse and eventually the power would just flicker when I reseated the cable and it was happening no matter what programs were running.  I went through the steps listed above but nothing helped.

    I decided to take my system apart to see if I could identify what the issue was.  Disconnecting the internal power cable and plugging in the power supply to the external connection, I used a volt meter to check power on the pins that plug into the mother board. Nothing I could do to the cable would interrupt the power so that appeared to clear the power supply and the internal cable. I then inspected the connector on the mother board and discovered one of the pins did not appear to have any solder on it. I used a fine tip screwdriver to push down on the pin and then reassembled the system. I have now used the system for over six hours with not a flicker including at least 4 hours of Civ 5. This application is significant because the laptop runs VERY warm and I believe thermal expansion caused the pin to lift creating the first sign of the problem and the pin has slowly lifted away from the pad over time.

    This is just a temporary fix, I don't have an extra  fine point soldering iron or the skill to resolder the pin, but I work at a place where I am hoping to have friends that can help me. I don't know if this will help anyone else, but it may be something to check.
    hey bro....i need a small help.....as u told u press the pin which is not soldered on motherboard...plz can you tell me that pin... because i have also  same issue....& i tried to find it...but there are lots of pins...plz help me
  • MrLochMrLoch Member Posts: 9

    Tinkerer

    Hello! Has anyone figured out how to solve the issue without doing any soldering? I'm having exactly the same issue when the computer is working with relatively high-demanding software. I do some occasional video production and photography editing with Camtasia Studio and Lightroom, and when I hear the GPU's fan goes spinning louder and faster, the laptop beeps as it's been disconnected, the icon on the battery changes to display the battery only, and the lights next to the connector change their color (just one of them turns to orange). Mine is a A515-51G-84ZP. Hope you guys can help me. 
  • JackEJackE ACE Posts: 23,227 Trailblazer
    Soldering? The OP's issue was resolved by checking the open circuit voltage of the charger with a multimeter. https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/662480/#Comment_662480   What is the voltage output of your charger?

    Jack E/NJ


    Jack E/NJ
  • dragongtx1dragongtx1 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hey guys I got the solution for charging light blinking while gaming...no need to change your adopter or mother board or uninstall battery drivers. When you play heavy games like GTA5 or Apex Legends Your laptop GPU Temp increases to 100 for sure ie. your GPU using 100% of performance. just follow the steps, It will decrease your GPU Temp by 30c.
    1. Open power options by right clicking on battery icon.
    2. Set to balance mode.
    3. Then go to change power plan after that go to change advance power potion settings.
    4. +Open Process power Management -Maximum Processor State & change on battery 100% & On plugging 100% to 90% both.
    5. Apply-Ok.
    Now try to run your games defiantly it will work.
    For more options of games like FPS meter & GPU Usage use MSI After Burn.
    Good luck guys!
  • VishalsinghVishalsingh Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hey guys I got the solution for charging light blinking while gaming...no need to change your adopter or mother board or uninstall battery drivers. When you play heavy games like GTA5 or Apex Legends Your laptop GPU Temp increases to 100 for sure ie. your GPU using 100% of performance. just follow the steps, It will decrease your GPU Temp by 30c.
    1. Open power options by right clicking on battery icon.
    2. Set to balance mode.
    3. Then go to change power plan after that go to change advance power potion settings.
    4. +Open Process power Management -Maximum Processor State & change on battery 100% & On plugging 100% to 90% both.
    5. Apply-Ok.
    Now try to run your games defiantly it will work.
    For more options of games like FPS meter & GPU Usage use MSI After Burn.
    Good luck guys!
    This method worked like charm.
    Thanks
Sign In or Register to comment.

Who's Online1.7K

Acer-Laura
Acer-Laura
andersonms
andersonms
Btcrider
Btcrider
busu3
busu3
Chema
Chema
dirgh_07
dirgh_07
EaglesWings
EaglesWings
gamerbwoi
gamerbwoi
ivanmitic
ivanmitic
JRM123
JRM123
kazpentrey19
kazpentrey19
pulkitking24
pulkitking24
Reinholdx
Reinholdx
Tazdiable974
Tazdiable974
ttttt
ttttt
+1.7K Guests

Join in, share your experience!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Assistance by Acer


Drivers &
Manuals

Acer
Answers

Get Product Information
( only)

Acer Support
Videos