acer predator x34a

matty8708
matty8708 Member Posts: 9 New User
edited February 14 in 2019 Archives
hey guys i recently baught the acer predator x34a plugged everything in using the display port but the picture quality is terrible and im stuck in 1024x768 and its telling me thats the reccomended resolution,theres no option for me to change to any other resolution,ive tried everything but nothings working.im using a gtx 1070 sc card and ive updated all the drivers,any help would be appreciated cheers

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good afternoon matty8708 !

Reported that you updated the video drivers, correct?
    But did you also update the drivers of the integrated processor GPU?

What brand and model of monitor are you using?
    Have you tried another cable?

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• matty8708
    hey maclane thanks for your response,yes all drivers have been updated,im using the gtx 1070 and havent updated the intergrated gpu,would i need to? the monitor is the acer predator x34a.and no i havent got another cable. also would it matter if the display port cable i have is version 1.1? do i need a 1.2? cheers
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Are you connecting the monitor to the GPU's port or the motherboard? Have used the PC with other monitors? To check whether it is a GPU or a monitor issue, I suggest you to try connecting the monitor to the motherboard to find out if the issue will still persist.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• matty8708
    the monitor looks great in 1080p with the hdmi cable,so we know that the monitor is working perfectly fine,im just a bit confused as to why the display port resolution is only the one 1024x768 and no option to run at the full resolution,
  • ven98
    So, when you connect the monitor to the 1070's HDMI port you are able to set to native resolution, but when you connect it the DP of the 1070 you can't set it higher than 1024x768? I assume you have tried changing the resolution from the nvidia control panel.

I doubt the issue could be in the cable itself, but it might be possible. By the way, there is no such thing as DP 1.1 and DP 1.2 cable. This is something made up by sellers in order to sell the cables for higher prices.

You don't have to update the integrated graphics, when you connect the monitor directly to the 1070, only if you are connecting it to the motherboard's ports.

If you have a 2nd DP on your GPU, you can try connecting the monitor to it, to check if the issue will persist. 
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• matty8708
    yes the 1070s hdmi port works fine at native resolution but when using the display port the resolution restarts at the 1024x768 with no option to go any higher.ive tried everything,could it be a software problem? would reinstalling windows maybe fix the problem?
  • ven98
    You can try re-installing windows, but the chance for that being the problem is almost 0.

Go to windows search and type device installation settings and then press enter. A windows will appear that will ask you to select yes or no, select no and apply. This will disable auto driver update. Use DDU while in safe mode to uninstall the nvidia driver and then install driver version 417.22 from nvidia. If that doesn't help uninstall the driver with DDU in safe mode and install 399.24. With this you will know if the issue is driver related.

If the issue still persists, as you don't have a second DP on your GPU, I would suggest you to try connecting another monitor with DP if that is possible. If by any chance your motherboard has a DisplayPort, I suggest you to try with it.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• matty8708
    ok so i booted in safe mode and uninstalled the display drivers,then rebooted with my onboard display port and i was able to boot in with the full resolution,i updated the driver 417.22 but when putting the cable back into the 1070 it went back down to the old resolution of 1024x768,
  • ven98
    As the you are able to output the native resolution through the onboard DisplayPort, that means the issue is in the 1070. Using a different driver doesn't seem to help, so I would suggest you to contact the manufacturer.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• matty8708
    Got myself a new display port today and instantly its showing up the native resolution at 100hz,im a happy chappy. Cheers for your help. 
  • matty8708
    the screen is still going black on me ever so often tho, it just turns off,the blue light is still on and a pull of the plug then putting it back in turns it back on every time. not sure if this is a software issue or hardware,