Are these CPU temps too high?

SycoXtreme
SycoXtreme Member Posts: 7 New User

Just recently bought an Acer Aspire e5 576g, 5762, which has an i5-8th gen, 12gigs ram, and a GeForce MX150.

When I have the High Performance power setting on and am gaming I'm getting temps between 85c - 95c for the CPU. The GPU is sitting around 70c - 80c. And I use a cooling pad

Are these temps too hot?

I created a power option that throttles the CPU to only work at 99% instead of 100% and my temps go down to 75c - 85c and I honestly dont notice a drop in performance, my game's FPS still is the same.

Comments

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    With HWiNFO you check what the average CPU and GPU temperatures are. It is all good if the CPU and GPU temperature doesn't exceed 85C and 83C average respectively. You can also undervolt the CPU with throttlestop to further reduce temps.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• SycoXtreme
    Throttling my CPU is basically what I did in order to achieve temps no higher than 80c. My average is 78c with theottle
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Throttlestop is not to for throttling CPU. Throttlestop means to stop throttling. Throttlestop is how the applications is called and with this you can control things like CPU core and cache voltages. Undervolting with throttlestop means to reduce the voltage to the CPU(this doesn't reduce performance). By reducing the voltage you reduce the heat output and therefore the temperature. There are many videos on youtube showing how to undervolt using throttlestop.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• SycoXtreme
    Well what I meant is how I stated it in my original post, if you read it. In order to combat high temps I just limited my CPU to only operate at 99% instead of 100%. My games have lost no FPS performance.