Acer laptop light occasionally blinks but no display( E5-471)

TechyGEek
TechyGEek Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives

I have an old acer laptop that used to be working fine for a long time but now for some reason when I kept on charging it while using it suddenly one day stopped working..

I removed the battery n pressed the power button for 1min and then plugged it back on but when I press the power button, an orange light flashes 5 times and then stops... but still no display

When I removed the battery and connected the power jack only and pressed the power button, a blue light blinks once or twice... but still no display...

Pls anyone’s help would be greatly appreciated and thanx a lot for your valuable time

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,329 Trailblazer
    It would help to know what model number you have. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TechyGEek

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    It would help to know what model number you have. Jack E/NJ
    Thanks for your time 🙂.. the model is E5-471 series
  • JackE
    Do you even get an ACER splash screen before Windows starts? If not, do you hear any fans, sounds, tones, beeps or melodies that may suggest Windows has actually booted even though the screen is black? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TechyGEek

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Do you even get an ACER splash screen before Windows starts? If not, do you hear any fans, sounds, tones, beeps or melodies that may suggest Windows has actually booted even though the screen is black? Jack E/NJ
    Hmm some dark green light used to be coming when I pressed the power button... and then it switched to black and back and forth.... but no sounds could be heard 
  • TechyGEek

Tinkerer

Pls someone provide a solution... cuz i have some important files stored in the laptop for a presentation in my office... 

• JackE
    >>>When I removed the battery and connected the power jack only and pressed the power button, a blue light blinks once or twice... but still no display...>>>

Does the blue power light blink, then stay on with the battery removed? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TechyGEek

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>When I removed the battery and connected the power jack only and pressed the power button, a blue light blinks once or twice... but still no display...>>>

Does the blue power light blink, then stay on with the battery removed? Jack E/NJ

When the battery is removed and the power jack is connected, and when the power button is pressed, the blue light flashes once and then goes off. When i press the power button again, without plugging the battery back in, the same blue light blinks and goes off. 
  • JackE
    OK. Refer to the two images below. Remove the battery and charger. Remove the base cover by first removing the yellow-circle screw and pulling out the DVD drive. The remove 17 red-circle screws. Starting from the battery compartment, pry the base cover up using a credit card or similar tool. There are ribbon cables connected on the other end of the base cover (marked A in yellow) so leave those connected  and just flip the base cover down to expose the mainboard. Re-seat both ends of another ribbon cable that runs in back of the fan (2 red arrows). Re-seat the connectors a few times to clean their contacts. This is the power button ribbon cable that supplies power to the mainboard. Then put it all back together and see if it'll fire up. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TechyGEek

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    OK. Refer to the two images below. Remove the battery and charger. Remove the base cover by first removing the yellow-circle screw and pulling out the DVD drive. The remove 17 red-circle screws. Starting from the battery compartment, pry the base cover up using a credit card or similar tool. There are ribbon cables connected on the other end of the base cover (marked A in yellow) so leave those connected  and just flip the base cover down to expose the mainboard. Re-seat both ends of another ribbon cable that runs in back of the fan (2 red arrows). Re-seat the connectors a few times to clean their contacts. This is the power button ribbon cable that supplies power to the mainboard. Then put it all back together and see if it'll fire up. Jack E/NJ

I really appreciate the time and effort you have put by explaining these things to me, JackE.

But can you pls suggest if there are ways to mark it work without opening up the case because last time I did it, it was very very time consuming..
  • JackE
    It's remotely possible that the charger is tripping out from an internal short. Measure the DC output voltage between the plug's outer ring and inner pinhole. Should be about 19volts DC.  The battery's highest voltage between two of its terminals should be about 11volt DC. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• TechyGEek

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    It's remotely possible that the charger is tripping out from an internal short. Measure the DC output voltage between the plug's outer ring and inner pinhole. Should be about 19volts DC.  The battery's highest voltage between two of its terminals should be about 11volt DC. Jack E/NJ  
    Yes the voltage values as you have mentioned are very similar... so now what do I do?
  • JackE
    Sorry. What you don't want to do. It's either the power cable connectors, the power button board, or the mainboard.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TechyGEek

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Sorry. What you don't want to do. It's either the power cable connectors, the power button board, or the mainboard.  Jack E/NJ
    JackE said:
    Ohhh ... I should open the laptop as you mentioned earlier ?
  • TechyGEek

Tinkerer

TechyGEek said:
    JackE said:
    JackE said:
    Ohhh ... I should open the laptop as you mentioned earlier ?
    I’m willing to open up the laptop... but is it guaranteed that it will work again?
  • JackE
    No. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TechyGEek

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    No. Jack E/NJ
    Umm... so what is ur final advice?
    Should i buy a new battery or charger or should i open up the laptop?
  • JackE
    A replacement battery & charger cost about $50 but might not work. Opening the laptop costs nothing but might not work either. At this point, you must make a decision on whether to do one, the other, or both but with no guarantees of success. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TechyGEek

Tinkerer

A replacement battery & charger cost about $50 but might not work. Opening the laptop costs nothing but might not work either. At this point, you must make a decision on whether to do one, the other, or both but with no guarantees of success. Jack E/NJ 
    If i buy a battery should it be the same model no. battery or any acer aspire battery will work?