Acer Nitro 50 N50-600EB14 - How to remove plastic front panel

david_eeee
david_eeee Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi, I recently asked a question about how to remove the optical drive from the N50-600, as seen here 

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/561097/acer-nitro-n50-600eb14-how-to-remove-optical-drive-bay-and-psu#latest

however this requires that the front panel be removed before someone could use unscrew the screws holding the drive in place.

Does anyone have any help for me on how to remove the front panel of the case (the plastic black shroud that surrounds the actual metal case) so that I can get access to said optical disk reader? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best Answer

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Good Morning david_eeee !

Follow the instructions:

1.  Remove the screw

2.  Remove the left side cover

3.  Remove four screws of HDD-ODD metal bracket then disassemble the bracket  

4.  Push three hooks and remove front bezel.  

5.  Remove top cover

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Follow the instructions:

1.  Remove the screw

5.  Remove top cover

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• david_eeee

Tinkerer

MaClane said:

Follow the instructions:

1.  Remove the screw

5.  Remove top cover

Thank you for the help @MaClane! This is incredibly useful

I was about to start working through these steps before I realized some potential problems. The red and black wires appear to be connected to the PSU's 24 pin connector through the use of some sort of adapter that ive never seen before. I believe these red and black wires are used to power the computer's red header light on the front? (these are the same wires that can be seen in step 4's picture - I presume the green and white wires are for the power button and are connected directly to the motherboard)

Would it be safe to pull the front bezel off the computer case with these header wires attached? And if they are attached to the 24pin connector to power said header on, is there some sort of way I could connect the header back to my new PSU? I don't really care for bright red lights and am perfectly willing to sacrifice it to upgrade to a 1070ti, but it would be nice to keep!

Or am I completely blind, and the black red wires connect directly to the mother board, and I can't see it because of the slim ODD in my way?

Additionally, is step 5 **truly** required to get access to the front of the case? Or is that mostly just to get access to the top? I am not afraid of doing more work, but removing the top of the case to get to the front seems kind of odd to me? I haven't tried to take it apart yet, so it might yet be required
  • david_eeee

Tinkerer

to anyone viewing this in the future, step 3 is NOT required, you can safely push the hooks off even when the shielding with the hard drive is in place. Step 5 is also NOT required to get to the front of the case (not to mention impossible due to the rivets in the back of the case preventing the top panel from moving at all)

There may be hooks visible in step 4, but the other side of the cases uses ""door joints"" to hold the front panel in place. You'll understand what I mean by door joints when you see them, there are 3 of them, 1 near the top, middle, and bottom. There is a set of blue and white wires that connect to the front LED red header - be careful you don't yank the front panel off too quickly or the wires will pull. Note that these LED red header wires are connected directly to the 24 pin connector from the PSU, not the motherboard
  • Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    to anyone viewing this in the future, step 3 is NOT required, you can safely push the hooks off even when the shielding with the hard drive is in place. Step 5 is also NOT required to get to the front of the case (not to mention impossible due to the rivets in the back of the case preventing the top panel from moving at all)

There may be hooks visible in step 4, but the other side of the cases uses ""door joints"" to hold the front panel in place. You'll understand what I mean by door joints when you see them, there are 3 of them, 1 near the top, middle, and bottom. There is a set of blue and white wires that connect to the front LED red header - be careful you don't yank the front panel off too quickly or the wires will pull. Note that these LED red header wires are connected directly to the 24 pin connector from the PSU, not the motherboard
    Thank your @david_eeee for the info. :)
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• Elpacotaco912
    Elpacotaco912 Member Posts: 1 New User
    So if I take off the left panel. Then undo the 3 plastic clips the front panel should swing open to the right like a door? 
    I am trying to get access to the M.2 Slot.
  • Kozy
    Kozy Member Posts: 1 New User
    I just got one of these and am opening it up for the first time. I'm having trouble getting the front panel off. When I unhook it and try to open it I'm met with resistance from the "door joints" mentioned earlier. I'm trying to firmly yet delicately open it, but it doesn't want to fully open up and/or come off.
    I feel like I'm missing something. Or maybe I'm just not using enough force. Is it essential to remove the top cover? Because that doesn't want to come off either.
  • Kno63
    Kno63 ACE Posts: 15,254 Trailblazer
    edited January 2020
    Kozy said:
    I just got one of these and am opening it up for the first time. I'm having trouble getting the front panel off. When I unhook it and try to open it I'm met with resistance from the "door joints" mentioned earlier. I'm trying to firmly yet delicately open it, but it doesn't want to fully open up and/or come off.
    I feel like I'm missing something. Or maybe I'm just not using enough force. Is it essential to remove the top cover? Because that doesn't want to come off either.

Hi Kozy,
    > ... I'm met with resistance ....<
    after removing the side panel, the "trick" is that you first must remove the ODD drive. Plug off SATA and  power cables (blue arrows), then push down black plastic clip and pull out the ODD drive.

Then open the three clips that are holding the front panel:

Now take care that the front panel doesn't lie on the working surface, but is in "free air". Now you can "swing" the panel to open and take it off. Then unscrew the ODD bracket and you can access the M2 slot:

regards
    Jochen

Edit: I guess it's even not necessary to remove the HDD bracket. There should be enough space to remove or assemble a SSD when the ODD bracket is removed.
    No offense: The pics from the service guide aren't helpful, they are more likely to cause confusion. I had the same probs as the other users here (got the PC 8 days ago) and had to find it out by myself.
    "There's more to the picture than meets the eye ..."
    Ich bin kein Acer Mitarbeiter!  :-)

• NewBee123
    NewBee123 Member Posts: 1 New User
    How do i remove the 'right' side panel of the acer nitro 50, is it impossible.
  • Kno63
    Kno63 ACE Posts: 15,254 Trailblazer
    NewBee123 said:
    How do i remove the 'right' side panel of the acer nitro 50, is it impossible.

Right or left depends on your point of view! :-)
    If you can remove one side panel, you are right:  The other one is not removable! :-)  

"There's more to the picture than meets the eye ..."
    Ich bin kein Acer Mitarbeiter!  :-)