How install a Linux distro onto an Acer Aspire 5 Acer A515-52-776H with a ssd drive ?

curano
curano Member Posts: 21 Networker
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I just got a new
Acer Aspire 5 A515-52-776H 39,6 cm (15,6 Zoll Full-HD IPS matt) Multimedia Notebook (Intel Core i7-8565U, 8GB RAM, 512GB PCIe SSD, Intel UHD, Win 10)
and would like to install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
The installation procedure doesn't recognize the SSD 512GB Disk at all...
How can I make it available for the installation?
Thanks for advice

Comments

• Unfortunately Ubuntu 18.04 still does not support rst with optane mode! Change the sata mode to ahci! This will break the array!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • curano
    curano Member Posts: 21 Networker
    Thanks a lot! I didn't check this before.
    Just to say Fedora 29 doesn't recognize them either when SATA is set to RST with Optane...
    Every thing works fine now...
  • Great! Accept my response if I have helped you ;) !
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Meshica7
    Meshica7 Member Posts: 7 New User
    edited January 2019
    I was able to do a dual boot of Ubuntu MATE alongside the Windows instal on my acer aspire 1 a114-32-c1ya. It was rather easy. I created a live usb iso of Ubuntu MATE which the Acer recognised right away. Once I was running live in MATE, I did a dual boot instal. During the instal you are asked if you would like to do a full instal  (which wipes Windows) or a dual boot instal. MATE detected the Windows instal and asked if I wanted to instal alongside it. I chose this option and the installer did the rest. I did a Google search for my particular Acer model and installing Ubunbtu and any of it's flavors..I'm pretty sure it's possible.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/886536/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-an-acer-with-preinstalled-windows-10-home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjnTyWa8Dts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgKjipEYRGs
  • Meshica7
    edited January 2019
     Here's a screenshot of Kubuntu 18.1 running on my Acer 1 using the Arc Dark Look and Feel, Arc Dark Transperant Theme, MacOS Sierra Icon set, and the BreezeMite Dark Window Decorations. It's running smoothly! I would do a full Kubuntu instal but I need Windows to run some audio interface apps that are not supported on Linux. Hopefully I'll be able to get another Acer just for Ubuntu.

• Meshica7
     More info...

• KevinAV
    KevinAV Member Posts: 1 New User
    Unfortunately Ubuntu 18.04 still does not support rst with optane mode! Change the sata mode to ahci! This will break the array!
    Hi egydiocoelho, i would want to know if changing SATA mode is only for the ubuntu installation or it has to remain in that way? Thank you very much. 
    I also would want to know if leaving the SATA mode in AHCI does affect to windows. 

Thanks and regards.
  • In fact, it is possible to enable rst with optane mode in linux. However, the easiest way to solve the problem is to enable ahci mode. Now, if you have windows installed, before changing the sata mode in the bios, it is recommended to enable safe boot in order not to break windows.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• dcrst75
    dcrst75 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hi!
    I have A515-52G with latest firmware 1.16 and I dont see anything with Sata or RST. I want to install latest Ubuntu 20.04 and tell me to disable RST before install
  • OK! Do it:
    a) first enable safe boot and restart windows:
    janelas 10 Safe Mode - WebSetNet
    b) then, uninstall the intel rapid storage program and the driver for the controlled sata ahci or rst that appears in the device manager:

c) restart windows and access the bios. Go to the main tab, press ctrl + s and change the sata mode to ahci.

Note: you must disable fast startup in the power options of windows 10.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• dcrst75

Tinkerer

edited May 2020
    Thanks, I know what you say. But my problem si on Bios. I dont have option on Bios to switch from Raid to Ahci.

EDIT:
    PS. I found it. On another post HERE need to press Ctrl+S to appear option to change from Raid to Ahci
    Thanks again for effort.
  • Did the procedure work?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• dcrst75

Tinkerer

not yet, I'am trying to make me brave  :p
  • dcrst75

Tinkerer

I try install on another Acer Aspire ES1. Ubuntu see an simple SSD 128Gb and installed succesfully but, when restart, start directly W10. No trace of grub or something. On type of installation I chose "Install alogside Widows 10" to manage free space.
  • Have you converted the usb stick to gpt and formatted it in fat 32?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• dcrst75

Tinkerer

edited May 2020
    I think usb-stick is ok, becaouse boot and install ok without any errors but, boot directly on Windows 10 and I think this will happend and on Aspire A515-52G.

EDIT:
    I found solution on ES1. Boot Live from stick and install Boot-Repair, that tell me to configure Uefi Bios to boot from specific file. With that, now works and Ubuntu.
    I will try to make this on A515 ....
  • try f12 boot menu and then f12 before the acer logo.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer