Can I upgrade my TC-865-NESelecti5 to a GTX 1060 6GB?

MarkJohnson
MarkJohnson Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
I have a short Zotac GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5X.  I see a standard GTX 1060 6GB seems to pull 120 watts.  I know the CPU has a TDP of 65-watts, but that usually means it pulls even more than 65-watts from the PSU.  This PC only has a 300-watt PSU and I'm concerned if it can pull that much power for long gaming sessions?  Most PSUs are usually good for only around half their rated power 24/7.  While 80Plus PSUs are rated for full power for 24.7 and rated for 12v rail.

It also doesn't have a 6-pin PCIe power connector for the GPU.

I have an 80Plus Gold rated Seasonic 360-watt PSU (SS-360GP) with a 6-pin connector.  I am wondering if this PSU will work with this motherboard?  I know a lot of OEMs use proprietary parts.

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,733 Pathfinder
    @MarkJohnson
    I do see that this unit has 500-Watt PSU when i check the specs. Are you sure this PC has only 300-watt PSU?

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • MarkJohnson

Tinkerer

I double checked.  It's a 300 watt unit.  240 watts on 12v side, and 100 watt on the 5/3.3 volt side,

It's an FSP Group (FSP300-60THA(1))
  • Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,733 Pathfinder
    @MarkJohnson
    Than if you going to put GTX 1010 6GB than you will need a PSU of 650W.
    For more info you can check the below link as
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/634539#Comment_634539

• MarkJohnson

Tinkerer

edited January 2019
    You linked this thread by mistake.

But 650 watt seems way, way overkill for a card that is only 120 watt max?

I double checked the system requirements, and they recommend only 400 wats.  They usually over rate them from so many low quality (Lack of appovals).  So, my 360 watt 80Plus gold should be more than enough.

nvidia specs page:
    https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-1060/specifications

I'm more concerned with compatibility at this point, since so many OEMs use proprietary PSUs.
  • MarkJohnson

Tinkerer

Does anyone know if Acer uses proprietary PSUs?

I'm expecting to assemble this tomorrow if things go well.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Acer does use some odd PSUs on some models, usually the ones that have really small cases though. The TC-865 uses a standard ATX supply. I'd likely put a 500W in if I were doing it, that gives enough wiggle room to max the memory and drives without worry.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.