Hi, I have an Aspire M3985 with Windows 10 installed. I purchased a XFX Radeon RX560 Graphics Card

Options
Antjo46
Antjo46 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 1 in 2018 Archives
When I went to install it, I could not get a picture on my monitor.  I was told I may need to update my BIOS.  The computer is compatible with the graphics card and I have the required supporting operating system to install it.  I tried to update my BIOS, but there is no update listed for Windows 10, only up to Windows 8 Linux.  Can anyone help me out with any answers on how I can get my graphics card to work?  Thank you and I hope you all have a happy, healthy and safe holiday season.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    In this thread there's a suggestion for a BIOS setting that allows use of the newer graphics cards.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    I don't think the BIOS is the reason why the GPU doesn't output an image. Don't forget there is also a chance of the GPU being faulty.

Have you connected the GPU to the PCIe port that is closest to the CPU(this is where the x16 port typically is). If the GPU requires 8pin power 6pin to 8pin adapter won't work. Are you connecting the monitor to the motherboard port or directly to the GPU?

When you turn on the PC do the GPU fans start up? On startup you can also try pressing f2 to enter in BIOS(maybe it will show an image).

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Antjo46
    Options
    I went back to Best Buy and replaced my initial purchase with another graphics card and I am still getting the same result.  I am using an HDMI Connection from the GPU to the monitor, should I get a different connecting cord with the 8pin and try that instead?
  • Antjo46
    edited December 2018
    Options
    When I install the GPU, and I turn on the computer, I do get the Blue Light showing power is connected and the fan does run.  But my monitor shows nothing at all.  

I have an ACER Aspire M3985 SNID: 21905258292
    Windows 10
    x-64 based PC
    Processor: Intel(R)Core(TM) i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10Ghz, 3101Mhz, 4core(s), 4logical Pro

BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc., P01-A1, 3/12/2012
    BIOS Mode: Legacy
    Installed Physical Memory: 8.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory: 7.88 GB
    Available Physical Memory: 5.69 GB
    Total Virtual Memory: 15.9 GB
    Available Virtual Memory: 13.7 GB

GPU:
    Radeon RX560 System Requirements:
    PCI Express based PC is required with one X16 Lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
    Radeon RX 560 4GB d5 1196M Core DP HDMI DVI

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I think the issue is that the BIOS mode is set to legacy and some newer GPUs support UEFI only. Connect the monitor to the motherboard's port instead of the GPU and press F2 on start-up to enter in BIOS. Look for an option like 'BIOS boot mode' or 'BIOS mode' and from Legacy change it to UEFI.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Changing to UEFI will break your boot, so that might not be the best choice. :) Which port on the GPU is connected to the monitor? Does the monitor automatically sense the port or do you need to cycle through them? Can you try other ports to verify it's not a monitor or cable issue?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.