Acer Aspire M3985 bios upgrade

marvel0169
marvel0169 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives

Hi, I should update the bios of my desktop to mount a new video card, the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060. At the time the bios is the P01-A1 of 03/12/2012.

At this link is my pc https://www.acer.com/ac/en/AE/content/model/DT.SJQEM.018, but I have win7 instead of win8.

[edited for privacy - THIS IS A PUBLIC FORUM - please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

I am not practical of the bios update procedure, I wonder if you can tell me which bios should I install and where to obtain it, please.

On the net I found this bios (http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BIOS/Acer/Acer-Aspire-M3985-BIOS-P11A4.shtml), but I'm not sure it's the right one.

Thanks in advance for your kind response.

Best regards.

Marco

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

Acer does not recommend flashing the BIOS from non Acer websites. There is a version P01.A2 you can try that is posted at:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Please note that while BIOS updates are posted we do not recommend flashing the BIOS as it can cause problems, however if you feel comfortable doing so, they are available for download. 

• marvel0169

Hi Acer-Mary, thanks for your kindly reply. I tried bios P01.A2 but it doesn't works for installing the GPU Gigabyte GeForce 1060.

I tried also to flash bios P11.A4 but the flashing procedure does not go on and bios P01.A2 is always in its place.

There is only this bios (P01.A2) available for my desktop and for the installation of the video card?

Thanks in advance for your kindly reply.

Regards.

Marco

• marvel0169

Could I use the bios "BIOS - UEFI for Windows 8 (Not for Upgrades)" P11.B1 (the first on the list at this link? https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/4240?b=1&pn=DT.SJQET.025)

Regards.

Marco

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

That BIOS is for systems that shipped with Windows 8 from factory. If your system shipped with Windows 8 then it should work. We just can't tell you if that particular BIOS will work with the video card you want to install. Again we don't recommend flashing the BIOS and if it fails or bricks the system it will need repair to fix. The BIOS upgrades are available but at your own risk.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Desktop versions:
    P01.xx can only be updated using P01.xx versions
    P11.xx can only be updated using P11.xx versions (normally P11.xx version are labeled "*not for upgrades")

"L" BIOS versions are Linux OS dedicated (example P01.xxL)

* what does it mean "not for upgrades"?
    During the windows 7 to 8 transition, some PC models had different BIOS versions from factory, related to the installed OS.
    Windows 8 PC got an UEFI BIOS
    Windows 7 PC got a "Legacy" BIOS

So PC with Windows 7 installed from factory can't use the "not for upgrades" BIOS version, even if they were upgraded to Windows 8 or 10, since the factory BIOS was a different version compared to PC with Windows 8 from factory.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • marvel0169

Hi, many thanks for your kindly replies! Well, so I think the cheapest way would be to buy a new and more recent MB,compatible with the graphic card GeForce 1060, my i7 processor and the ddr.

Ciao!

Marco

• snookerap
    snookerap Member Posts: 2 New User
    you have to "secure-boot" disabled and change "CSM" to "legacy"... and your graphic card works perfect
  • vituchaky
    vituchaky Member Posts: 1 New User
    snookerap said:
    you have to "secure-boot" disabled and change "CSM" to "legacy"... and your graphic card works perfect
    i love you so much cильно и это вообще нереально cool. You is my hero
  • hemo8191
    hemo8191 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi all.... I have a Acer M3985-UR20P   I think i need to add a new video card. Any recommendations? The simpler the better. Thxs
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    @hemo8191 you should start a new thread with your question instead of adding to a really old thread like this one (January 2017 was 3½ years ago). Include your full model number, as you have done, and the question along with any other info (like what you are using for video right now) that's relevant. Yoou can include my name with a @ and it'll show up for me.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.