Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 on Acer Predator G3-605

Options
roelantvdl
roelantvdl Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 15 in 2018 Archives

Hi all,

Im running an Acer Predator G3-605 with everything stock except for more ram and a GTX980 graphics card. The processor is a Core i5 4440.

I would like to upgrade the CPU to benefit from hyperthreading, and I read that the fastest CPUs for the socket 1150 are core i7 4790 (and core i7 4790K), or a Xeon E3-1231 v3.

The intel i7 4790 is difficult to get nowadays, but a local shop supplies socket 1150 Xeon processors which are good value for money.

Would a Xeon E3-1231v3 work on the motherboard? It is the correct socket and compatible with the Chipset, but I am not sure if Acer enabled this CPU in the BIOS.

Thanks

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,735 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You are Welcome! accept my answer and put the topic as resolved so that other users can see the answer!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Your desktop has Intel b85 chipset! These are the processor models supported by the chipset: http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/B85.html
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • roelantvdl
    Options
    Thanks, but I know for a fact that this chipset supports Xeon although it isn't listed in that link, so I assume that it does that page just does not list Xeon processors.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    If this processor has the same socket and is accepted by the chipset, then I think it will work!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• roelantvdl
    Options
    Thanks. I ordered one, I'll update this thread when I know how it goes :)
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Ok my friend  =)

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• roelantvdl
    Options
    So here is the update -
    Unfortunately the Xeon E3-1231 v3 processor had ever increasing delays on availability so I bought a used i7 4790 CPU instead, which is one of the CPUs sold with the system. 
    So we still do not know if the Xeon is compatible, but in any case the 4790 is.
    Thanks for your help :+1:

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,735 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You are Welcome! accept my answer and put the topic as resolved so that other users can see the answer!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer