Predator(PH315-51) GPU constantly makes faint noise, doesn't matter if it's under load or idle.

Options
Snay2698
Snay2698 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have a 5 month old Predator Helios 300 (PH315-51) which have 2 main issues. First is the overheating of CPU and other is faint noise coming from GPU.
Overheating of CPU was there from the start. My cpu has normal temp when on battery. Even while gaming, the max temp of cpu is 60 C on battery and not more than that. But when I play with charger plugged in, the temp suddenly grows to upto 98 C slowly. Like for every 5 mins I play the game, the temp rises by 2 or 3 C until it gets upto 95-98 C. Here it stops getting higher and stays constant until I end the game. Laptop doesn't shuts itself off. So, I undervolted my cpu by -0.115 and things were not really good but fine (80-90 C max).
But after some months, i got the overheating problem once again even in undervolted cpu. This is the time when i encountered the second problem.
I started to hear some faint noise from GPU and its constant... from the turning on of laptop till i shut it down. I am confused because my gpu never overheated a single time compared to my cpu. My max gpu temp since i had the laptop would be 70-75 C and not more. But this faint noise is something that i'm concerned about. Also, this noise is very low and you can't hear it unless you put your ear right next to gpu at the bottom side of the laptop. To describe it, it sounds something like the noise that comes from a radio when it doesn't catches any signal... except that this noise is softer and very low than that of the radio. Also, I'm telling you... it's NOT COIL WHINE for sure.
I searched on the internet about this and saw that it can be related to power supply or something like that. So i observed my charger and realized something strange.
When i connect the charger to AC outlet but not to the laptop... it also produces a faint clicking sound which is as low as that of the gpu (You have to put your ear against charger to hear it). But the noise is different from that of gpu. It is kind of clicking sound... like left-clicking a computer mouse constantly - 2 clicks every second. 
But when i plug in the charger to laptop, the charger clicking noise disappears completely. But at the same time, the gpu noise gets at little stonger (more audible). Not much stronger, just a little.
Not I think that this charger noise and gpu noise are connected but i don't know how. First i thought charger was faulty but since its noise disappears after plugging in, I think it's fine. 
Now my only problem is gpu noise and cpu oveheat. I think that maybe it's something related to motherboard and the way the current is flowing in it but i hope i'm wrong as i don't want to send it for repair so soon (I have the warranty though).
Please help me with this GPU noise problem. I can manage the CPU overheat issue by undervolting or something.

Answers

• Snay2698
    Options
    Snay2698 said:
    I have a 5 month old Predator Helios 300 (PH315-51) which have 2 main issues. First is the overheating of CPU and other is faint noise coming from GPU.
    Overheating of CPU was there from the start. My cpu has normal temp when on battery. Even while gaming, the max temp of cpu is 60 C on battery and not more than that. But when I play with charger plugged in, the temp suddenly grows to upto 98 C slowly. Like for every 5 mins I play the game, the temp rises by 2 or 3 C until it gets upto 95-98 C. Here it stops getting higher and stays constant until I end the game. Laptop doesn't shuts itself off. So, I undervolted my cpu by -0.115 and things were not really good but fine (80-90 C max).
    But after some months, i got the overheating problem once again even in undervolted cpu. This is the time when i encountered the second problem.
    I started to hear some faint noise from GPU and its constant... from the turning on of laptop till i shut it down. I am confused because my gpu never overheated a single time compared to my cpu. My max gpu temp since i had the laptop would be 70-75 C and not more. But this faint noise is something that i'm concerned about. Also, this noise is very low and you can't hear it unless you put your ear right next to gpu at the bottom side of the laptop. To describe it, it sounds something like the noise that comes from a radio when it doesn't catches any signal... except that this noise is softer and very low than that of the radio. Also, I'm telling you... it's NOT COIL WHINE for sure.
    I searched on the internet about this and saw that it can be related to power supply or something like that. So i observed my charger and realized something strange.
    When i connect the charger to AC outlet but not to the laptop... it also produces a faint clicking sound which is as low as that of the gpu (You have to put your ear against charger to hear it). But the noise is different from that of gpu. It is kind of clicking sound... like left-clicking a computer mouse constantly - 2 clicks every second. 
    But when i plug in the charger to laptop, the charger clicking noise disappears completely. But at the same time, the gpu noise gets at little stonger (more audible). Not much stronger, just a little.
    Not I think that this charger noise and gpu noise are connected but i don't know how. First i thought charger was faulty but since its noise disappears after plugging in, I think it's fine. 
    Now my only problem is gpu noise and cpu oveheat. I think that maybe it's something related to motherboard and the way the current is flowing in it but i hope i'm wrong as i don't want to send it for repair so soon (I have the warranty though).
    Please help me with this GPU noise problem. I can manage the CPU overheat issue by undervolting or something.
    PS. Everything software and game works fine... I can play games normally without issues. The system doesn't have errors or crashes.
  • Kjelle69
    Kjelle69 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Have you found any solution to the overheating?
  • Snay2698
    Options
    Kjelle69 said:
    Have you found any solution to the overheating?
    Right now i want to fix gpu problem first.... after it's fix I'll put a new thermal paste on my cpu and gpu and it will most probably fix the overheating cuz acer's stock paste is not good. And if repasting would not give me proper temps (which i don't think will happen), I'll undervolt it too. There's no way that the combination of both will wont resolve heating.
    And i mentioned overheating in my main post because i think that my gpu noise and high temp is connected in some way. Fixing the gpu may automatically decrease my cpu temp. I know it sounds weird but who knows...