FAQ - CPU, GPU, Temps, FPS, Settings, & Other Info

Answers

• granton
    granton Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

solved it! 
    had something to do with nvidia drives changed it to an earlier mod, thank you for your help 
  • HK1994
    HK1994 Member Posts: 43 Devotee WiFi Icon

[Last Updated - 07/2018]
    [Anyone at anytime may reference this guide]
    Please click 'Like' if this guide helped you :D

This Sticky goes for Intel 7th and 8th Gen laptops. AMD will be added in the future.

Latest Fix:

Intel 8th Gen: BIOS 1.15 has been released to fix the screen flickering on the Intel 8th Generation laptop. 

1. Common Information (CPU, GPU, Temperature Specifics)

Temperatures & Solutions

If temperatures reach the following (under intense situations), these are your options:

97-100C (Throttling below base clock speed)

• Contact Acer for repair (they will re-paste your CPU/GPU)
    • Re-paste your CPU and GPU yourself (not advisable due to warranty complications)

90-96C (CPU turns off Turbo at 90C)

• Using Predator Sense, turn fans to max speed
    • Undervolt the CPU (guide below)
    • Purchase a laptop cooling pad (paid less than $15)
    • Limit the CPU performance via Windows Battery Options
    • Re-paste your CPU and GPU yourself (not advisable due to warranty complications)

~89C

• If temperatures never go above 89C, you do not have to worry about CPU throttling. 

CPU Undervolting

Undervolting guide by @Red-Sand for the 7700HQ and the 7300HQ.

https://youtu.be/N3v3o21M8gg

SUBSCRIBE!

If you would like to learn more about modifications and tweaks to our Helios and Predator laptops, please take a look at the Facebook group in the credits.

Thermal Pasting Guide

(I suggest sending it to Acer support first.)

If you are encountering high temperatures and would like to re-paste your CPU yourself, read below.

*Note* 
    Re-pasting your CPU will void warranty if you damage something, so proceed at your own risk.

GPU Temperature Information

It seems that it is rarely the GPU that is the problem when it comes to overheating in these laptops. However, the GPU still has some limits that you should keep your eye on.

We only have estimations for the GPU limits from feedback on the forum. It seems that the GPU will near maximum, or maximum performance so long as the temperatures stay below 80C. If temperatures are above this number, these are what can be done:

• Using Predator Sense, turn fans on max speed
    • Turn down game settings (only temporary/crappy solution, skip to next)
    • Re-paste the CPU and GPU (either via Acer Support or yourself)

Intel CPUs

Intel 6th Generation

i7-6700HQ

• Cores: 4 Physical, 8 Logical
    • Base Block Speed: 2.6 GHz
    • Max Turbo Speed (Single Core): 3.50

Intel 7th Generation

i5-7300HQ

• Cores: 4 Physical, 4 Logical
    • Base Block Speed: 2.5 GHz
    • Max Turbo Speed (Single Core): 3.5

i7-7700HQ

• Base Block Speed: 2.8 GHz
    • Max Turbo Speed (Single Core): 3.8

i7-7920HK

• Base Block Speed: 2.9 GHz
    • Max Turbo Speed (Single Core): 3.9

Intel 8th Generation

i7-8750H

• Cores: 6 Physical, 12 Logical
    • Base Block Speed: 2.2 GHz
    • Max Turbo Speed (Single Core): 4.1

NVIDIA GPUs

GTX 1050Ti

• Base Graphics Clock Frequency - 1290MHz
    • Boost Graphics Clock Frequency - Up to 1392MHz
    • Dedicated Video Memory - 4GB GDDR5

GTX 1060

• Base Graphics Clock Frequency - 1404MHz
    • Boost Graphics Clock Frequency - Up to 1670MHz
    • Dedicated Video Memory - 6GB GDDR5

GTX 1070

• Base Graphics Clock Frequency - 1442MHz
    • Boost Graphics Clock Frequency - Up to 1645MHz
    • Dedicated Video Memory - 8GB GDDR5

GTX 1080

• Base Graphics Clock Frequency - 1556MHz
    • Boost Graphics Clock Frequency - Up to 1733MHz

2. FPS Drops/Lag

Desktop Right-Click Lag

This problem is generally caused by the Intel Graphics Control Panel Desktop Context Menu option. To fix this, we will need to disable the Intel Graphics Control Panel in the desktop context menu. If you have already tried updating the Intel drivers via Device manager or installing the drivers from Acer's web site, follow these steps.

Steps:
    1. The easiest way to disable this is using the program 'ShellExView' that be found at: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
    2. After downloading and launching the program, you will need to find the two items to disable. These both are under the Extension Name 'TheDesktopContextMenu Class' with the description 'igfxDTCM Mod' as shown in the screen shot.
    3. Disable these two items.
    4. Restart your computer.
    5. Give feedback to let us know if this solved the problem.

Possible FPS Drop Solutions

These are solutions you can do to either: stop FPS drops, or improve FPS/Performance. Do one step and test until your FPS drops stop. 
    Post below which step fixed the FPS drops.
    1. Go to Windows Settings > Gaming, and disable Game bar, Game DVR, and Game Mode.
    2. Update NVIDIA Drivers, and Uninstall GeForce Experience.
    3. Update your BIOS to the latest version.
    4. Update the Intel Graphics adapters to latest by: right-clicking the start menu, opening Device Menu, expand Display Drivers, and right-click the Intel(R) HD and update drivers.
    5. Uninstall any 3rd-party screen recording/overlay software.
    6. Uninstall any 3rd-party anti-virus software (e.g. Norton, McAfee, etc.) or cleaning/monitoring software (e.g. CCleaner, Glary Utilities, etc.)

Windows Update Caused Crashing

It has been found that when Windows 10 updates, it installs the latest drivers in the Windows Update Database. These drivers seems to be causing some issues.

A possible fix is reinstalling all drivers from Acer's web sitefor your device.

Windows Update Failure

The biggest reason Windows updates fail is due to an anti-virus. If your laptop fails to update. Uninstall any anti-virus you have on your machine, and retry the update.

3. Battery Gaming

It is not advisable to game while on battery for multiple reasons: 

• Laptop is self-throttled; 
    • Degradation of battery; 
    • Poor game play.
    The battery throttle settings can be found/changed in the GeForce Experience Settings. As stated above, it is not advisable to game on battery.

4. Predator Sense Information & Overclocking

Predator Sense has a habit of not working correctly with the new updates to Windows 10. There are some things that you can try to get Predator Sense working again.
    1. Uninstall Predator Sense, restart your laptop, and reinstall Predator Sense from your laptop's support page.
    2. Right-click the Predator Sense icon and run the 'Compatibility troubleshooter.'
    3. Uninstall or shut down MSI Afterburner if installed.
    4. Try re-enabling hibernation/hyberfil.sys if you disabled it when GPU shows idle when being used.

@Red-Sand has found a way to enable the overclocking feature on the G3-571.

***Warning***
    Will cause the laptop to run hotter. Do so at your own risk. 

You can follow the video to manually enable this, or you can download the zip file from the description and go as follows:
    1. Download file
    2. Unzip contents
    3. Run preferred .bat file as administrator
    4. Restart Predator Sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5FFCug83Ko

*SUBSCRIBE*

I will explain further. What this does is change the device that Predator Sense reads in the registry. Red-Sand uses the PH317 in his video. The batch file I created uses the G3-572. Both work.

5. Sound Modifications (EqualizerAPO)

EqualizerAPO

-*-WARNING - READ BEFORE CHANGING PREAMP-*-
    Always keep volume at middle range (50%) when changing the Preamp, as high Preamp could damage your speakers, headphones, earbuds and/or ears. By default, the Preamp is lowered to -3. Increasing it until +3 is relatively safe but be cautious of increasing it more than that without taking the previous precautions mentioned. High Preamp may also distort sound quality.

-*-The drivers must be reinstalled after every major Windows update.-*-

This is the first posting. Details and screenshots will be added and refined in the future. We will be able to post our own equalizer profiles for best audio settings as well, as we mess with it. The settings are stores in *\EqualizerAPO\config\config.txt.

Basic Device Setup:

1. Make sure the audio device you want to use/modify/test is connected.
    2. Download Equalizer APO
    a. https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/
    3. During installation, I set the location to C:\EqualizerAPO because they do not give you desktop shortcuts.
    4. After the installation, you will be prompted for which audio devices you wish to use Equalizer APO for. You can choose one, or all. This can be changed later.
    5. When you choose the device(s), it may require a restart, and all Windows will disappear.
    6. Configuration:
    a. To modify the equalizer and Preamp settings, launch C:\EqualizerAPO\Editor.exe
    b. To change what devices use Equalizer, launch C:\EqualizerAPO\Configurator.exe

Laptop Speakers (includes headphone jack):

I had some difficulty getting it to change my Helios 300 (G3-571) speakers, but I found out how. Follow below:

1. After Equalizer APO installs, open the Configuration.exe.
    2. Highlight Speakers, and check the 'Troubleshooting options' button.
    3. Uncheck both 'Use original APO' buttons, and change Install as to 'Install as SFX/EFX (experimental)'
    4. Restart and it should work.
    5. Feedback is appreciated.

Questions, please let me know.

Frequency Table (to help with tweaking the equalizer):

Sub-Bass - 62Hz and lower
    Mid-Bass - 62-125Hz
    Upper-Bass - 125-250Hz

Lower-Mid - 250-500Hz
    Middle-Mid - 500-1kHz
    Upper-Mid - 1k-2kHz

Lower-Treble - 2k-4kHz
    Middle-Treble - 4k-8kHz
    Upper-Treble - 8kHz and higher

6. Meltdown, Spectre, and Intel ME Vulnerability Information

There are 3 major vulnerabilities that affect our Intel laptops and I will post some information about these issues.

Acer Meltdown/Spectre Link

Meltdown
    • On Intel CPUs and any CPU with Speculative Execution (Apple CPUs)
    • Meltdown is probably the most serious of the three vulnerabilities. It allows processes to bypass security checks and execute code/read data stored in the CPU's memory.
    • Fix: Microsoft Windows patch KB4056892 (OS Build 16299.192 on Windows 10 Version 1709 or later)
    • Running Windows without this patch makes your system vulnerable to Meltdown (and some of Spectre).
    • To check if you have this update, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > View installed update history. 
    • *Note* Some Anti-virus can conflict with the update.
    • Refer to Microsoft for more specifics: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4056892

Spectre
    • 99% of CPUs suffer from this vulnerability. Unlike Meltdown, AMD and mobile CPUs are included.
    • Refer to Meltdown for getting the patch in Windows.
    • BIOS updates mitigate vulnerabilities with Spectre.
    Acer Intel ME Link

Intel ME (Intel-SA-00086)

7. Credits

• To the Acer Community
    • @Acer-Manny for making this post possible
    • @ven98 for his input and suggestions
    • @Red-Sand AKA Opoka Opoka for the pasting video.
    Join Opoka Opoka and I on Facebook for an active community that discusses all things about our laptops.

8. Disclaimer

Please keep in mind that if your product is under warranty, re-pasting your CPU or any of the following will void warranty. Proceed at your own risk:

• repair of antenna systems outside of the product; 

• damages caused by misuse, abuse, accidents, fire, power surges, viruses, malware, reckless, willful, or intentional conduct; 

• servicing not authorized by Acer; 

• usage that is not in accordance with product instructions or manuals by a product or part that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Acer etc.

For the complete warranty details, please click on the following link https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/standard-warranty.

Good day to you all,
    I would like to ask if any G3-572 user have attempted to do the sound modifications(EqualizerAPO) yet.
    If so, is there any noticable improvements in terms of clarity, bass, treble, so on and so forth compared to the stock settings.
    Sincerely, a fellow G3-572 user- K.
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    HK1994 said:

[Last Updated - 07/2018]
    [Anyone at anytime may reference this guide]
    Please click 'Like' if this guide helped you :D

This Sticky goes for Intel 7th and 8th Gen laptops. AMD will be added in the future.

Latest Fix:

Intel 8th Gen: BIOS 1.15 has been released to fix the screen flickering on the Intel 8th Generation laptop. 

1. Common Information (CPU, GPU, Temperature Specifics)

Temperatures & Solutions

If temperatures reach the following (under intense situations), these are your options:

97-100C (Throttling below base clock speed)

• Contact Acer for repair (they will re-paste your CPU/GPU)

90-96C (CPU turns off Turbo at 90C)

• Using Predator Sense, turn fans to max speed
    • Undervolt the CPU (guide below)
    • Purchase a laptop cooling pad (paid less than $15)
    • Limit the CPU performance via Windows Battery Options

~89C

• If temperatures never go above 89C, you do not have to worry about CPU throttling. 

CPU Undervolting

Undervolting guide by @Red-Sand for the 7700HQ and the 7300HQ.

https://youtu.be/N3v3o21M8gg

SUBSCRIBE!

If you would like to learn more about modifications and tweaks to our Helios and Predator laptops, please take a look at the Facebook group in the credits.

Thermal Pasting Guide

(I suggest sending it to Acer support first.)

If you are encountering high temperatures and would like to re-paste your CPU yourself, read below.

*Note* 
    Re-pasting your CPU will void warranty if you damage something, so proceed at your own risk.

GPU Temperature Information

It seems that it is rarely the GPU that is the problem when it comes to overheating in these laptops. However, the GPU still has some limits that you should keep your eye on.

We only have estimations for the GPU limits from feedback on the forum. It seems that the GPU will near maximum, or maximum performance so long as the temperatures stay below 80C. If temperatures are above this number, these are what can be done:

• Using Predator Sense, turn fans on max speed
    • Turn down game settings (only temporary/crappy solution, skip to next)
    • Re-paste the CPU and GPU (either via Acer Support or yourself)

Intel CPUs

Intel 6th Generation

i7-6700HQ

• Base Block Speed: 2.6 GHz
    • Max Turbo Speed (Single Core): 3.50

Intel 7th Generation

i5-7300HQ

• Cores: 4 Physical, 4 Logical
    • Base Block Speed: 2.5 GHz
    • Max Turbo Speed (Single Core): 3.5

i7-7700HQ

• Base Block Speed: 2.8 GHz
    • Max Turbo Speed (Single Core): 3.8

i7-7920HK

• Base Block Speed: 2.9 GHz
    • Max Turbo Speed (Single Core): 3.9

Intel 8th Generation

i7-8750H

• Cores: 6 Physical, 12 Logical
    • Base Block Speed: 2.2 GHz
    • Max Turbo Speed (Single Core): 4.1

NVIDIA GPUs

GTX 1050Ti

• Base Graphics Clock Frequency - 1290MHz
    • Boost Graphics Clock Frequency - Up to 1392MHz
    • Dedicated Video Memory - 4GB GDDR5

GTX 1060

• Base Graphics Clock Frequency - 1404MHz
    • Boost Graphics Clock Frequency - Up to 1670MHz
    • Dedicated Video Memory - 6GB GDDR5

GTX 1070

• Base Graphics Clock Frequency - 1442MHz
    • Boost Graphics Clock Frequency - Up to 1645MHz

GTX 1080

• Base Graphics Clock Frequency - 1556MHz
    • Boost Graphics Clock Frequency - Up to 1733MHz

2. FPS Drops/Lag

Desktop Right-Click Lag

This problem is generally caused by the Intel Graphics Control Panel Desktop Context Menu option. To fix this, we will need to disable the Intel Graphics Control Panel in the desktop context menu. If you have already tried updating the Intel drivers via Device manager or installing the drivers from Acer's web site, follow these steps.

Steps:
    1. The easiest way to disable this is using the program 'ShellExView' that be found at: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
    2. After downloading and launching the program, you will need to find the two items to disable. These both are under the Extension Name 'TheDesktopContextMenu Class' with the description 'igfxDTCM Mod' as shown in the screen shot.
    3. Disable these two items.
    4. Restart your computer.
    5. Give feedback to let us know if this solved the problem.

Possible FPS Drop Solutions

These are solutions you can do to either: stop FPS drops, or improve FPS/Performance. Do one step and test until your FPS drops stop. 
    Post below which step fixed the FPS drops.
    1. Go to Windows Settings > Gaming, and disable Game bar, Game DVR, and Game Mode.
    2. Update NVIDIA Drivers, and Uninstall GeForce Experience.
    3. Update your BIOS to the latest version.
    4. Update the Intel Graphics adapters to latest by: right-clicking the start menu, opening Device Menu, expand Display Drivers, and right-click the Intel(R) HD and update drivers.
    5. Uninstall any 3rd-party screen recording/overlay software.
    6. Uninstall any 3rd-party anti-virus software (e.g. Norton, McAfee, etc.) or cleaning/monitoring software (e.g. CCleaner, Glary Utilities, etc.)

Windows Update Caused Crashing

It has been found that when Windows 10 updates, it installs the latest drivers in the Windows Update Database. These drivers seems to be causing some issues.

A possible fix is reinstalling all drivers from Acer's web sitefor your device.

Windows Update Failure

The biggest reason Windows updates fail is due to an anti-virus. If your laptop fails to update. Uninstall any anti-virus you have on your machine, and retry the update.

3. Battery Gaming

It is not advisable to game while on battery for multiple reasons: 

• Laptop is self-throttled; 
    • Degradation of battery; 
    • Poor game play.
    The battery throttle settings can be found/changed in the GeForce Experience Settings. As stated above, it is not advisable to game on battery.

4. Predator Sense Information & Overclocking

Predator Sense has a habit of not working correctly with the new updates to Windows 10. There are some things that you can try to get Predator Sense working again.
    1. Uninstall Predator Sense, restart your laptop, and reinstall Predator Sense from your laptop's support page.
    2. Right-click the Predator Sense icon and run the 'Compatibility troubleshooter.'
    3. Uninstall or shut down MSI Afterburner if installed.
    4. Try re-enabling hibernation/hyberfil.sys if you disabled it when GPU shows idle when being used.

@Red-Sand has found a way to enable the overclocking feature on the G3-571.

***Warning***
    Will cause the laptop to run hotter. Do so at your own risk. 

You can follow the video to manually enable this, or you can download the zip file from the description and go as follows:
    1. Download file
    2. Unzip contents
    3. Run preferred .bat file as administrator
    4. Restart Predator Sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5FFCug83Ko

*SUBSCRIBE*

I will explain further. What this does is change the device that Predator Sense reads in the registry. Red-Sand uses the PH317 in his video. The batch file I created uses the G3-572. Both work.

5. Sound Modifications (EqualizerAPO)

EqualizerAPO

-*-WARNING - READ BEFORE CHANGING PREAMP-*-
    Always keep volume at middle range (50%) when changing the Preamp, as high Preamp could damage your speakers, headphones, earbuds and/or ears. By default, the Preamp is lowered to -3. Increasing it until +3 is relatively safe but be cautious of increasing it more than that without taking the previous precautions mentioned. High Preamp may also distort sound quality.

-*-The drivers must be reinstalled after every major Windows update.-*-

This is the first posting. Details and screenshots will be added and refined in the future. We will be able to post our own equalizer profiles for best audio settings as well, as we mess with it. The settings are stores in *\EqualizerAPO\config\config.txt.

Basic Device Setup:

1. Make sure the audio device you want to use/modify/test is connected.
    2. Download Equalizer APO
    a. https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/
    3. During installation, I set the location to C:\EqualizerAPO because they do not give you desktop shortcuts.
    4. After the installation, you will be prompted for which audio devices you wish to use Equalizer APO for. You can choose one, or all. This can be changed later.
    5. When you choose the device(s), it may require a restart, and all Windows will disappear.
    6. Configuration:
    a. To modify the equalizer and Preamp settings, launch C:\EqualizerAPO\Editor.exe
    b. To change what devices use Equalizer, launch C:\EqualizerAPO\Configurator.exe

Laptop Speakers (includes headphone jack):

I had some difficulty getting it to change my Helios 300 (G3-571) speakers, but I found out how. Follow below:

1. After Equalizer APO installs, open the Configuration.exe.
    2. Highlight Speakers, and check the 'Troubleshooting options' button.
    3. Uncheck both 'Use original APO' buttons, and change Install as to 'Install as SFX/EFX (experimental)'
    4. Restart and it should work.
    5. Feedback is appreciated.

Questions, please let me know.

Frequency Table (to help with tweaking the equalizer):

Sub-Bass - 62Hz and lower
    Mid-Bass - 62-125Hz
    Upper-Bass - 125-250Hz

Lower-Mid - 250-500Hz
    Middle-Mid - 500-1kHz
    Upper-Mid - 1k-2kHz

Lower-Treble - 2k-4kHz
    Middle-Treble - 4k-8kHz
    Upper-Treble - 8kHz and higher

6. Meltdown, Spectre, and Intel ME Vulnerability Information

There are 3 major vulnerabilities that affect our Intel laptops and I will post some information about these issues.

Acer Meltdown/Spectre Link

Meltdown
    • On Intel CPUs and any CPU with Speculative Execution (Apple CPUs)
    • Meltdown is probably the most serious of the three vulnerabilities. It allows processes to bypass security checks and execute code/read data stored in the CPU's memory.
    • Fix: Microsoft Windows patch KB4056892 (OS Build 16299.192 on Windows 10 Version 1709 or later)
    • Running Windows without this patch makes your system vulnerable to Meltdown (and some of Spectre).
    • To check if you have this update, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > View installed update history. 
    • *Note* Some Anti-virus can conflict with the update.
    • Refer to Microsoft for more specifics: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4056892

Spectre
    • 99% of CPUs suffer from this vulnerability. Unlike Meltdown, AMD and mobile CPUs are included.
    • Refer to Meltdown for getting the patch in Windows.
    • BIOS updates mitigate vulnerabilities with Spectre.
    Acer Intel ME Link

Intel ME (Intel-SA-00086)

7. Credits

• To the Acer Community
    • @Acer-Manny for making this post possible
    • @ven98 for his input and suggestions
    • @Red-Sand AKA Opoka Opoka for the pasting video.
    Join Opoka Opoka and I on Facebook for an active community that discusses all things about our laptops.

8. Disclaimer

Please keep in mind that if your product is under warranty, re-pasting your CPU or any of the following will void warranty. Proceed at your own risk:

• repair of antenna systems outside of the product; 

• damages caused by misuse, abuse, accidents, fire, power surges, viruses, malware, reckless, willful, or intentional conduct; 

• servicing not authorized by Acer; 

• usage that is not in accordance with product instructions or manuals by a product or part that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Acer etc.

For the complete warranty details, please click on the following link https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/standard-warranty.

Good day to you all,
    I would like to ask if any G3-572 user have attempted to do the sound modifications(EqualizerAPO) yet.
    If so, is there any noticable improvements in terms of clarity, bass, treble, so on and so forth compared to the stock settings.
    Sincerely, a fellow G3-572 user- K.
    I use  FX Enhancer with dolby audio (i use srs audio sandbox on all my win7 laptops but this new realtek drivers don't support it on win 10) and i boots the dolby sound a lot awesome sound

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• walton
    walton Member Posts: 5 New User
    Is this a good buy or should I get a better priced laptop? 
  • xapim
    edited January 2019
    walton said:
    Is this a good buy or should I get a better priced laptop? 
    @walton didn't u asked already in the thread you opened before (https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/559909/should-i-buy-the-acer-predator-helios-300-im-not-sure-by-reading-this#latest) i don't see the need of keep asking the same in all threads you already got you answer in your thread so it's up to u now in case u didn't noticed this thread is not related to you question this is a troubleshooting thread so i would appreciate if you don't have an issue with your laptop (im sure u haven't because u don't own any predator yet) to not spam the thread thanks

If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Acer support:

• 4rcher95
    4rcher95 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Predator Sense i dont seem to find or see the cpu fan running... what can i do?? 
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    You can use flashlight to see if both fans are spinning thorugh the vents. If one of them is not spinning try to push it with a thin object.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,581 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    edited February 2019
    What if I try to stop all services of GEForce Experience only while gaming, will it help?
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    XdxD said:
    What if I try to stop all services of GEForce Experience only while gaming, will it help?

It will most likely cause more issues than help.
    You can however disable the "Nvidia Telemetry" service in "Services".
    It doesnt help much but some.
    You can also disable shadow play or uninstall Geforce Experience as a whole.. although the "optimize" feature of geforce experience is excellent at determining the best graphic settings for your games to run smoothly.
    - Hotel Hero
  • MrCrazy
    MrCrazy Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited February 2019
    Hello guys 
    i bought a Predator 17 G5-793
    every things is good but i have a problem
    my problem is when i install games on HDD, i can play good but it's will freeze for a while and then i can continue playing
    and i find out when i install my games on SSD there is no problem
    i checked my HDD with too many programs to find what is wrong with my HDD but all said HDD is "OK"
    now can anyone guide me what to do?

my system is :
    Core i7-6700HQ
    GTX1060
    32GB RAM
    256GB SSD
    2TB HDD

• xapim
    edited February 2019
    @MrCrazy some games require ssd/nvme speeds to be able to run properly i'm pretty sure if you move them to the ssd/nvme they will run fine for ex Anthem is one of them i had it running on my external 2.5" 5tb in an 10gbps usb3.0/usb-c3.1 enclosure and it ran fine on the alpha and beta but after the first patch on the full demo had to move it to the ssd because it would freeze completely on screen only way to get out of it was ctrl+alt+del log off user and back on or just force power down all working fine now getting 35 to 45 fps on ultra full screen on my 1050ti and temps cpu 68 gpu 63 max so you option is either move it to the ssd/nvme or upgrade it if yo dont have enough space left other option is upgrade your hdd to a 7200rpm or if you can afford it upgrade to an ssd and all your game related issues will be fixed regarding speed it's completely normal that newer games will not run on hdd as they were optimized for ssd so your hdd is completely fine hope this helps

Acer support:

• Derryck
    Derryck Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Hello

I recently purchased the Acer Predator PH317-52 and although I have undervolted the CPU, I'm still getting high temperatures when playing fortnite. Sometimes in the low to mid 90's. I copied Red-Sand's ThrottleStop Folder and checked it with HWmonitor so I know the under-volt went through...so im just not sure what to do at this point. I've also followed the optimization guide but not completely so I'll do that again...but I'm wondering if theres maybe something I'm missing. As I'm typing this right now my idle cpu usage according to predatorsense is between 0 and 3%  temp at 59

Running Intel i750H CPU 2.2 GHZ NVidia 1060 6GB
  • xapim
    edited March 2019
    @Derryck repaste with kryonaut or similar its the solution here (check your warranty policies first to see if you can do it yourself or have to get Acer support to do it for you) and fortnite its not the game to test the temps as its really badly optimized same as pubg

Acer support:

• urfiinjuice
    urfiinjuice Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited March 2019
    hey guys, I ve got some problems with overheating. 
    i d be thankful for any advice 
    during the gaming battlefront 2,fifa 19, battlefield, GTA V, Metro exodus, waha tw 2:

gpu temp becomes 89-91c on coolboost mode.
    gpu temp becomes 85-87c on max fans. 
    cpu 80-86 on coolboost
    cpu 74-76 on max fans

predator triton 700, 7700k, geforce 1060.

does smth wrong with this acer?
  • urfiinjuice

Tinkerer

guys, come on...
  • EmperorBorg
    EmperorBorg Member Posts: 21 Networker
    urfiinjuice How long do you have it ? I replaced the thermal paste on mine after about 2 years when CPU temp reached 90C in CPU-intensive programs (and also the same in Metro X).

Since it was fine up to recently, I think the thermal paste just degraded over time and ended up loosing it's thermal x-fer efficiency.
  • urfiinjuice

Tinkerer

urfiinjuice How long do you have it ? I replaced the thermal paste on mine after about 2 years when CPU temp reached 90C in CPU-intensive programs (and also the same in Metro X).

Since it was fine up to recently, I think the thermal paste just degraded over time and ended up loosing it's thermal x-fer efficiency.
    well, I bought this laptop like 5-6 month ago. brand new

idk mb it is a manufacturing defect...
  • urfiinjuice

Tinkerer

upd

I bought kootek pro with 4 fans. 

playing on max fans plus using cooler pad: 

cpu 70-74 cels
    gpu 74-78 cels
  • tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    70-90C while gaming is a fairly average temperature. Without the additional steps of re-pasting the CPU & GPU as well as undervolting the CPU you won't see anything lower. 

• SIMPLIT
    SIMPLIT Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi everyone.

Here are my temperatures and the benchmarck of my Helios 500.
    I did a repaste with Grizzly Kryaunaut yesterday and I undervolted my CPU and modify some value. As you can see it's awesome, I lost nearly 15 degrees.

Here with PRIME 95 :

BENCH :

IDLE, temps goes from 30 to 36.

If you are hesitating with repaste, go for it !!!