How can I dual boot win10 and puppy linux

diode84
diode84 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello
I have a travelmate b113 running windows10 and am trying to install puppy linux dual boot.
I have changed secure boot and uefi and set hdd password to off in the bios, but still it wont boot dual but I can now boot from a live puppy usb stick.
I have tried lick 1.3.1 which is a puppy specific program for dual boot, no luck so far but it did work straight off with win7 on a dell e6230.
Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks
diode84

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Win10 dual boot can only be achieved in UEFI NOT legacy mode. The Linux install or live stick iso must be GPT partitioned FAT32, NOT MBR FAT32 partitioned or UEFI mode can't see it. Your Linux stick worked with the Dell Win7 because it was an MBR partitioned stick. You must re-install the Linux iso on a GPT FAT32 stick using Rufus. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• diode84

Tinkerer

First step
    I have boot set to legacy boot at present with win10 working. If I change from legacy to UEFI will win10 still work.
  • JackE
    OK, I was assuming you had installed Win10 in UEFI mode on a GPT drive. If, on the other hand, you already have Win10 installed in legacy mode on an MBR partitioned drive, then the linux stick with the iso should also be MBR partitioned and should boot fine in legacy mode. So yes, you should be able to install Linux dual boot with Win10 in legacy mode with an MBR partitioned drive. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• diode84

Tinkerer

What is the best way to do this. The stick will boot into puppy linux and I could instal it to a partition on the hard drive, the problem to me is the boot loader that will still boot win10.
  • JackE
    (1) First, I'd use Win10's diskmgmt.msc reduce the size of the C: partition to make room for the Linux system and swap partitions. Reduce it a lot if you plan on using Linux most of the time.
    (2) Then I'd make sure the Legacy BIOS F12 option is enabled and saved in the Legacy BIOS Main tab.
    (3) Shut down your system. Insert the Linux boot stick. Turn the system back on and immediately start tapping the F12 key.
    (4) The Windows and Linux stick boot options should appear.
    (5) Fire away.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• diode84

Tinkerer

I have got two partitions on the hdd and wanted to install linux to the second partition and not use a boot stick at all.
  • JackE
    FIRST use Win10's diskmgmt.msc reduce or shrink the size of the C: partition to make room for the Linux system and swap partitions.  This should leave unallocated free space partition to the right of the C: partition like on the image below. You should then end up with 3 partitions before linux is installled, one being unallocated. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• diode84

Tinkerer

Jack I am going to start from scratch and put a GPT partition on the hdd and start from scratch. I may be some time but will be back
  • JackE
    I think that's a good decision. The linux boot install stick should also be GPT partitioned so the UEFI bootstrapper can see it. Good luck. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• diode84

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Win10 dual boot can only be achieved in UEFI NOT legacy mode. The Linux install or live stick iso must be GPT partitioned FAT32, NOT MBR FAT32 partitioned or UEFI mode can't see it. Your Linux stick worked with the Dell Win7 because it was an MBR partitioned stick. You must re-install the Linux iso on a GPT FAT32 stick using Rufus. Jack E/NJ

• diode84

Tinkerer

Jack before I destroy everything could I clarify something (Win10 dual boot can only be achieved in UEFI NOT legacy mode. ) and from your later post
    (OK, I was assuming you had installed Win10 in UEFI mode on a GPT drive. If, on the other hand, you already have Win10 installed in legacy mode on an MBR partitioned drive, then the linux stick with the iso should also be MBR partitioned and should boot fine in legacy mode. So yes, you should be able to install Linux dual boot with Win10 in legacy mode with an MBR partitioned drive. Jack E/NJ   
    Thanks
  • JackE
    My first comment was stated because I had assumed that you were starting out with a Win10 installation in a UEFI mode GPT partition. Thus you can only dual boot starting out with this Win10 UEFI GPT installation if you also install Linux in the same UEFI GPT mode.

However, since you are actually starting out with a Win10 LEGACY MBR installation, you should be able to install Linux in the same LEGACY MBR mode.

Is this clarified better?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• diode84

Tinkerer

Clarified totally, thanks.
    JackE said:
    FIRST use Win10's diskmgmt.msc reduce or shrink the size of the C: partition to make room for the Linux system and swap partitions.  This should leave unallocated free space partition to the right of the C: partition like on the image below. You should then end up with 3 partitions before linux is installled, one being unallocated. Jack E/NJ

From this would I be installing xenialpup onto drive C: alongside win10.
    Sorry but I do not understand. There is already room to install xenialpup on drive D: I partitioned the hdd before I installed win10 on drive C:
  • JackE
    Yes, installing alongside Win10 is also known as dual boot with Win10. But how did you make the room? Did you try to make the room through Windows DISKMGMT.MSC or through the linux installation. The room must first be made thru Windows, not the Linux stick, or Linux won't properly install. Please post a screenshot of Windows DISKMGMT.MSC so I can see what your partitions look like now. Jack E/NJ.

Jack E/NJ

• diode84

Tinkerer

I partitioned the hdd before I installed any operating system at all into two partitions, C: and D:. I then installed win10 to C: and later with lick installed xenialpup to D:
    A screenshot of DISKMGMT.MSC may take some time as my knowledge of win10 is almost zero but the win10 install did create four extra partitions on top.
  • JackE
    Boot into Win10 if it still boots. Then press the WINkey + Rkey. Enter "diskmgmt.msc" with the quotes. The partitioning screen should appear. I really need to see what it looks like as it stands.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• diode84

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Boot into Win10 if it still boots. Then press the WINkey + Rkey. Enter "diskmgmt.msc" with the quotes. The partitioning screen should appear. I really need to see what it looks like as it stands.  Jack E/NJ
    diskmgmt.msc is no problem, but I dont know how to take a snap of it and save it as I am not on the forum on the acer, it is my wifes.
  • JackE
    OK. Talk to me from this image. What do you see on Disk0? Just describe the bar in the middle. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• diode84

Tinkerer

From the left Disk 0
    Recovery 450mb ntfs healthy oem partition, next 100mb healthy efi system partition, next C: 174.21gb ntfs Healthy(Boot page file, crash dump,primary partition), next new vol D: 68.68gb ntfs healthy(primary partition), next New vol E: 9.77GB fat32 Healthy (primary PARTITION), next new vol F: 9.77gb fat32 healthy (primary partition.) next new volG: 34.18gb exfat (healthy primary partition), next 953mb ntfs healthy oem partition.
  • JackE
    If this is all on one disk, Disk0, it also has D, E, F & G and maybe an H: Windows drive partitions, one of which is in exfat format which is unusual for a hard drive partition and 2 OEM recovery partitions. As it stands, Linux would likely not automatically wipe those partitions and would refuse to install.

(1) This is an unusual drive setup. Where did this machine come from?
    (2) Open File Explorer. Do the D, E, F,  G and maybe an H: drive contain any files?

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ