ACER NItro 5 AN515-42 AMD Running slow

Options
JC_Quinto
JC_Quinto Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
After getting this new laptop and updating windows and all the drivers, I currently have one problem.
Specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 
8GB Ram (originally 4GB)
AMD Radeon RX 560X

When I turn it on and play my game (DOTA 2) it's always laggy and I think it doesn't use the Radeon graphics (I already configured in AMD settings that DOTA 2 prefer to use AMD instead of Vega graphics).
By that I mean running on below 20fps and slow response. BTW that is already when it's plugged in and on high performance.

What seems to do the trick is restarting the laptop and after windows sign in, run the game immediately. After that I can play decently.

Kind of disappointing on a new laptop.

Is there anyone else experiencing this? 

What solution can you suggest?

Cheers!

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,750 Pathfinder
    Options
    You could try disabling Fast Startup, go to Power Options, click Choose what the power buttons do in the left pane, click Change settings that are currently unavailable, then untick Fast startup and see whether it fixes the problem.

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,750 Pathfinder
    Options
    So try those steps it will fix the issue 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
  • JC_Quinto
    Options
    Hi Jack, thanks for the suggestion.

But I thought fast startup was supposed to only reduce boot time upon power on.

Thought I will try and check if anything goes different.

Thanks!
  • JC_Quinto
    Options
    Jack22 said:
    You could try disabling Fast Startup, go to Power Options, click Choose what the power buttons do in the left pane, click Change settings that are currently unavailable, then untick Fast startup and see whether it fixes the problem.

Sorry for the late reply. I only use this laptop when I get home on days off.

Anyway the problem still persists. Opening a game would be laggy, only fix is still a restart of the laptop and opening the game again.
  • Angelgabchoi
    Angelgabchoi Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Sir Jc quinto,
     i think we same the same laptop but i still got the stock Ram(4gb) - can i know what ddr4 speed variant did u add?is it a 2133mhz or 2400mhz stick? Or did u just replacema new 8gb stick?
  • Churmur_roop
    Churmur_roop Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited November 2018
    Options
    JC_Quinto said:
    After getting this new laptop and updating windows and all the drivers, I currently have one problem.
    Specs:
    AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 
    8GB Ram (originally 4GB)
    AMD Radeon RX 560X

When I turn it on and play my game (DOTA 2) it's always laggy and I think it doesn't use the Radeon graphics (I already configured in AMD settings that DOTA 2 prefer to use AMD instead of Vega graphics).
    By that I mean running on below 20fps and slow response. BTW that is already when it's plugged in and on high performance.

What seems to do the trick is restarting the laptop and after windows sign in, run the game immediately. After that I can play decently.

Cheers!
    Follow these steps for RX 560X to be used for Dota 2 :-
    1.)You need to go to Power options from right clicking the battery icon.
    2.)Switch to High performance mode and then go to Change plan settings.
    3.)You'll be able to see Change advance power settings, proceed with that
    4.)Scroll down and search for Switchable Dynamic Graphics.
    5.)Set both the options to Maximum Performance.
    Apply and Exit. If that doesn't work. Reinstall the game [I play the game at all ultra settings with 100 fps]
    Try to keep it Full Screen Borderless. Work's like a charm.
    Same 8gb RAM.
    Have fun.

• Techwizard7
    Techwizard7 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    JC_Quinto said:
    Specs:
    AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 
    8GB Ram (originally 4GB)
    AMD Radeon RX 560X

Cheers!
    I am also facing the same problem while playing CS GO 
    if you have found some solution 
    please let me know
    thanks in advance
  • Redfan
    Redfan Member Posts: 65 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    power plan-> advanced power options -> switchable dynamic graphics-> maximize performance. if you don't do this you are gaming on the vega 8. running the userbenchmark test shows you where the problem is. if the test registers the vega 8 follow the steps I said and it will force the rx560x to be used over the vega8 (which is the WHOLE sell point of this laptop)
  • kanyethegoat
    kanyethegoat Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options
    hey same problem here. games like tekken 7, dark souls remastered and every other games that runs rx 560 lags, but fixed when i restart the laptop. any solutions???? 
  • Ayonhi5
    Ayonhi5 Member Posts: 37 Troubleshooter
    Options
    can you check your cpu temp using hwinfo while running the game?
  • Vickysharma
    Vickysharma Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I want to create coustom resolution for playing fortnite but I can't find any  create coustom resolution option in and radeon settings pls help me 
  • StevieN5
    StevieN5 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    hey same problem here. games like tekken 7, dark souls remastered and every other games that runs rx 560 lags, but fixed when i restart the laptop. any solutions???? 
    Do you still have this problem?
    If so, you can try this : 
    Control panel > System > Display > scroll down to 'Graphics Settings' > leave at Classic app preference > click browse > Find your .exe file for games > Select options > Select high performance.

What this basically does is it forces the system to use the dGPU in the selected app regardless if you need it or not.
    Refer to the screenshots for reference on which to click.

Regards,
    Steven
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    BEFORE gaming make sure your Battery is charged to 100% and then KEEP it plugged into charge whilst gaming, 

Make sure your graphics drivers are updated to this version or higher and click express upgrade

Make sure High Performance is selected under Power Plan in Nitrosense when on AC

After that make sure your RX560x is selected in Switchable Graphics for your games and your games are set on High Performance, you must import your games .exe using the Browse tab in pic below

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★