Acer Swift 3 fingerprint reader doesn't work on cold boot

Options
Ysquanir
Ysquanir Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

I have recently bought an Acer Swift 3 laptop and I'm having some trouble with the fingerprint reader. After a cold boot (not waking it from sleep) or restart the fingerprint login doesn't work - the computer doesn't react to me putting my finger on the reader at all. However, after logging in with my PIN and then locking the laptop, the fingerprint reader starts working as expected until the next restart or shutdown. Did anyone else have this problem and find a solution?

I also have an unrelated question. When I peeled of the specs sticker on my last Acer laptop it turned out that the area under the sticker was lighter than the surrounding plastic (probably caused by the adhesive on the sticker? I took it off after a few years of using the laptop) which was pretty ugly. Should I be worried about peeling it off on this new one?

Best Answer

• Ysquanir

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    So, the solution for me was to do a clean install of Windows. It's usually the first thing I do with any computer I get, but I decided not to do it with this one for whatever reason - I should have known I would regret not doing it. After the reinstall the fingerprint reader responds everytime and it seems more precise too.

Answers

• rajulmondal5
    rajulmondal5 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options
    I have not tried that but on normal boot for the first few sec fingerprint reader not react, 
    Acer should proved this fix in their next update
  • huedawg
    huedawg Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I've been having the same issue with my new Acer Swift 3.  The fingerprint reader doesn't work at all.  Even when I try to set it up, the fingerprint reader doesn't always recognize my finger.  When i try to sign on to the laptop with my finger, it doesn't recognize it. As recommended by support, I have already tried uninstalling the device and reinstalling about reboot but this did not resolve it.  I think it's a faulty fingerprint reader on these Swift 3 laptops.  It's a very bad issue considering this is a brand new laptop.  I would consider returning this for another laptop.
  • Ysquanir

Tinkerer

edited May 2018
    Options
    I have not tried that but on normal boot for the first few sec fingerprint reader not react, 
    Acer should proved this fix in their next update
    Well, I have waited for a minute or so and it still did nothing until I actually logged on. Did someone from Acer actually state that they're working on a patch for this issue?

huedawg said:
    I've been having the same issue with my new Acer Swift 3.  The fingerprint reader doesn't work at all.  Even when I try to set it up, the fingerprint reader doesn't always recognize my finger.  When i try to sign on to the laptop with my finger, it doesn't recognize it. As recommended by support, I have already tried uninstalling the device and reinstalling about reboot but this did not resolve it.  I think it's a faulty fingerprint reader on these Swift 3 laptops.  It's a very bad issue considering this is a brand new laptop.  I would consider returning this for another laptop.
    Mine sometimes doesn't recognize my fingerprint either, which is an annoying issue, but I'm not sure if it's a dealbreaker for me - the laptop has pretty amazing specs for the price I got it for.
  • Ysquanir

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    So, the solution for me was to do a clean install of Windows. It's usually the first thing I do with any computer I get, but I decided not to do it with this one for whatever reason - I should have known I would regret not doing it. After the reinstall the fingerprint reader responds everytime and it seems more precise too.
  • huedawg
    huedawg Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Ysquanir, how did you go about reinstalling windows?

I agree it's a decent computer.  However, I would like for all functions to be working since I purchased this brand new.  The fingerprint reader was one of the reasons I chose this model.  
  • rajulmondal5
    rajulmondal5 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options
    Ysquanir said:
    I have fresh install but then also there is problem in recognizing sometime also I have installed latest drivers 
  • Ysquanir

Tinkerer

Options
    Well, after the reinstall it worked for a day or two, but now it does not again... I am not sure what could have caused it, since the driver version is still the one that Windows automatically dowloaded after the reinstall :/
  • Ysquanir

Tinkerer

edited May 2018
    Options
    Well, I have posted the previous post from my main PC, but the laptop was laying in front of me, so I gave it another shot just for the hell of it and now it decided to work again. Apparently the reinstall did help, though not with 100% reliability.

DISCLAIMER: The reinstall procedure detailed below worked for me, but I bear no responsibility if following it somehow messes up your computer. BACKUP ALL YOUR DATA FIRST!!!

@Huedawg search for "windows media creation tool" on Google. Download the utility and follow the steps. You can try directly creating a bootable USB drive, but this has not worked for me in the past, so I recommend downloading the ISO instead.

Then use Rufus (https://rufus.akeo.ie/) to create a bootable USB drive - make sure to select the correct USB drive (all data will be destroyed), choose GPT for UEFI partition scheme, FAT32 file system and default cluster size; then click on the small CD button in the same line as "create a bootable disk using", select the downloaded ISO and press "Start".

Restart the computer and spam F2, this should get you into the BIOS settings. Here you can either enable the F12 boot menu or change the boot priorities so that your USB drive is the first one. Restart again and depending on what you did spam F12 and select your USB drive as a boot disk, or wait until the Windows installer boots from the drive. Personally, I recommend the F12 route, so that the computer won't try to boot from the USB again if you forget to pull it out.

Follow the instructions and select clean install. Delete all partitions from the disk and then choose the empty space as the install location and click next (install?), Windows will automatically create all the partitions it needs.

After the installation is done, you will need to go through a few setup steps and you're nearly done. When you get to your desktop, wait 10 minutes or so while Windows downloads drivers (this happens in the background, you won't see any indicator). When you feel like you gave it enough time, check the Device Manager. If you see any devices with an exclamation mark, download "Acer Care Center" which can automatically install drivers from Acer's site, or manually download them.

Acer's Intel iGPU driver works, but is outdated. Download the ZIP distribution of the drivers from Intel's website https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27803/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=126789

Extract the driver somewhere. Then go into the Device Manager, right-click the iGPU and select "Update driver". Select "Browse my computer for driver software", then "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer", then press the "Have Disk..." button. Browse to "folder, where you extracted the driver files/Graphics/" and select igdlh64.inf and press next. The newest driver should get installed.

• Brandon_Gui123
    Brandon_Gui123 Member Posts: 20 Networker
    Options
    I had this problem too. Fortunately, I was able to keep track of it in "Device Manager".
    Here's the information I got from "Device Manager":
    Device not started (WUDFRd):
    Device USB\VID_1C7A&PID_0570\5&34b2c3c1&0&9 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem28.inf
    Class Guid: {53D29EF7-377C-4D14-864B-EB3A85769359}
    Service: WUDFRd
    Lower Filters: WinUsb
    Upper Filters: 
    Problem: 0x25
    Problem Status: 0xC0000034
  • ladiza
    ladiza Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    So I was looking for a solution of this problem as my fingerprinnt reader was really buggy and one user on reddit suggested changing lockscreen to slideshow. Now works perfectly.