SSD Upgrade for Acer Predator G3-571

delmania
delmania Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I purchased an Acer Predator G3-571 laptop last year from Amazon, and now I'm running into space issues with the primary HDD, which is a 256 GB SSD.  I'm curious to know if it's possible replace that drive with ones from a site like Crucial?  The searching I've done gives me instructions for swapping out the secondary drive, which isn't an issue as I have a 2 TB drive there already.  Are there instructions for replacing the primary drive? Thank you!

Answers

• You have a ssd m2 2280 as primary hdd, correct? Is windows 10 installed on this ssd? Has this model also come with a secondary hdd?
    This model supports both ssd m2 2280 sata 3 and nvme: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/541527/g3-571-51nk-hdd-ssd-slot-bay
    Here's how to open the notebook: 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph2ibK79zd8
    Let me know if those were your doubts!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Yes it's possible and quite simple.
    As @egydiocoelho mentioned that video can show how to access the SSD to replace/upgrade.

You can use a software like EaseUS TODO Backup Free to easily clone your current SSD (OS) to your new one for an easy swap.

For your model the SSD would be a "M.2 2280 SSD".

The G3-571 doesn't have a NVME slot in the motherboard.. BUT I have seen test results from a NVME drive being used in a G3-571 and it's performance is much greater than a SATA III SSD (Which is what your laptop comes with by default). So performance is in between NVME and SATA III if you choose to go that route.

Lastly.. if getting Crucial/etc brand SSD be sure to find it's updating software after everything is transferred (For crucial its Executive Software) and update it's firmware to remove any glitches/issues it may have.
    - Hotel Hero
  • delmania
    delmania Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks for your response, they're very helpful! This is the model I'd: http://www.crucial.com/ProductDisplay?displayCompatibleLogo=1&urlRequestType=Base&catalogId=10151&productId=2428501&externalPartNumber=CT11363865&urlLangId=-1&scanId=102B587831D926C3&langId=-1&storeId=10151, as it's the only 2TB drive crucial sells.  Based on what I'm reading this is compatible, but it's always good to verify before spending that much money!
  • Hello @ Red-Sand! There are actually some users who have confirmed that this model supports NVmE! https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/539101/predator-helios-g3-571-ssd-upgrade-questions

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Red-Sand
    @egydiocoelho While it does allow a NVME to be installed it does not allow for PCIE connection or for the full speed of the NVME to be utilized. 
    There is a bottleneck, although it is much better than SATA III drive speeds.
    - Hotel Hero
  • I already knew that @Red-Sand! But would it be worth just spending a few dollars more to buy a nvme, which will not be used at its maximum speed? Even because for an average user, the difference would only be noticeable when transferring files! Or in the United States the price difference between the nvme and a sata 3 is small? If the price difference is not so great, I would also opt for the nvme!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Red-Sand
    Agreed @egydiocoelho if he has the funds then NVME is best. Even though the motherboard hardware is for SATA III, if you install NVME it performs much better than a SATA III SSD. It's like it's inbetween the two in terms of performance.
    - Hotel Hero