Does the Acer Nitro 5's (NH.Q2QAA.016) USB-C port output to a display? Serial Number:***************

Options
mryanj
mryanj Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have the above Acer Nitro 5, and I tried hooking it up to my monitor with a USB-C to DP adapter and it made the sound like it connected but did not display.  I also tried hooking up the laptop to a docking station with a USB-C to USB-C cable like this one: https://plugable.com/products/ud-ultc4k.  It once again made the sound like it connected, showed up in device manager, and I could connect peripherals and ethernet to my laptop through the docking station, but once again when I connected an HDMI or DP from my docking station to the monitor it does not work.  Any ideas?

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Options
    Hi @mryanj

Yes, USB-C does help you get display on the external monitor. You can follow the steps mentioned in the link below.

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48481/~/how-to-connect-a-computer-with-usb-c-port-to-an-external-display
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Options
    It is a USB C 3.1 Gen 1 port

These ports do not have PCIE lanes and therefore do not support a direct > monitor type setup.
    If you did want to display via USB C G-1 you would most likely need a "hub" in which case you would be running from a USB connection.

Note: Even though a USB C Gen 1 is capable of faster speeds than a typical USB port, it will still offer some latency if you were to use it for example: in gaming.
    - Hotel Hero
  • mryanj
    mryanj Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I AM using a hub, connecting a USB C cable from the port to the hub, and then a DP cable from the port to the monitor.  
  • Cygna
    Cygna Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have a Nitro 5 , bought it last weekend.. I too have the same problem.. My old laptop was an acer aspire which has an HDMI port and VGA port, so I could run 2 external monitors off of it.. I use a music program called Reason 10 for which I split the screen  1 for rack instruments the other for the sequencer.. I bought a belkin DP adapter ( C-port to HDMI )so as I can connect both monitors by HDMI, but you get the warning ping pongs that it is not reconised.. The symbol on the C-Port is just the standard USB one, no lightning flash or TV box.. Can I use this C-Port to run a monitor off of it if I use something else? And if not, what purpose does it serve? Have I purchased the wrong laptop for my needs ? Am I missing something ?
    Your help would be appreciated. 
    Many Thanks

Cygna
  • weezerwookie
    weezerwookie Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    I just got a refurbished nitro 5 2017. I love it. I bought a USB C hub. It has hdmi, a bunch of USB 3 ports, a usb c port, micro sd port, even an ethernet port. However, when i plug it in, it says there may be problems with the display adaptor. I'm guessing it's just not a new enough generation, so no monitor support :(
    Still a great laptop, but can only connect 1 ext monitor