Heat Issue, Fans slow down too quickly. Aspire A515-51G

Options
HenryQ
HenryQ Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 2022 in Aspire Laptops
I am running an Aspire A515-51G (Core i5 8250, 8GB RAM, Gefore MX150, windows 10 home). I owned the laptop for about 3 months, use it for pretty much anything, and its running well. With an MX150, I can play a couple of decent games on it - mainly, League of Legends, Diablo 3, STarcraft 2, stuff like this. When I do, everything is ok. Temperatures (in Celsius) measured by coretemp are as follows: idle 39, 45 - 60 doing light stuff, and something between 65 and 82 when running games ( depending on ambient Temp and on how long i have been playing). 80 degrees arent all that good tbh, but it is a mass market multimedia laptop, not a high end gaming monster, so i wasnt expecting more out of that machine. As far as i know, running at 80, even for extended periods shouldnt affect the lifespan of the laptop in a meaningful way. (I hope i am right about this.)

However - after closing a game, the cpu fan slows down quickly as soon as i step out of 3D, and this is when the temperature spikes: Because the components are still hot, but the fans are whirling on a low setting, temps briefly rise to 85, 88 and more ( Maximum was 93 ).  It doesnt stay that high for long, just an instant:

I am logging all the gaming sessions with coretemp. I set the logging interval to 4 seconds and numbers above 84 only show up in the max temp column and not in the current temp column, which makes me believe the components stay that hot for no more than 1 or 2 seconds. So my questions are:

1. Is stuff like this dangerous to my PC?

2. Is there a manual way to change the fan settings on that aspire? I dont really mind the machine being loud while playing ( or shortly after ), i mean who gives a *****. I entered the BIOS/UEFI, but there are no settings pertaining to the cpu fans there, and i dont think speedfan can change the settings either.

Extremes over 90 dont happen often, and not after a short session, but this has happened at rather low ambient temperatures, and i d be lying if I said i wasnt worried.

I have the dropbox link to a typical coretemp log here:

Quite telling is the timestamp on 16:20:15 for Core 1       :       By this time, current Temp was 71 and max was 83, but 4 seconds later current was 75, but max temp had jumped to 94, on the next timestamp, it had gone down to 69.

Thank you for listening - I am looking forward to clarification on that matter,

Sincerely,

Henry Q

( edited the title to add the model name )

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018
    Options
    The above mentioned temperature should be normal for your device. I dont think you can increase the fan speed on your laptop .
    You can check the power settings of your laptop with these steps 
    Select "Control Panel" from the Start menu >Click “Hardware and Sound,” and then “Power Options.” A new window opens.
    Click “Change Plan Settings,” and then “Change Advanced Power Settings.” The “Power Options” dialog box opens.
    Select the “Advanced Settings” tab. Click the plus symbol associated with “Processor Power Management” to open an options submenu.
    Select “System Cooling Policy” from the submenu. Click the down arrow under “System Cooling Policy” to reveal a drop-down menu.
    Select “Active” from the drop-down menu to increase the speed of your CPU’s cooling fan. Click “Apply” and then “OK.”

Here's the fan true value table of your device:

A laptop cooling pad can help to reduce the operating temperature of a laptop. These pads are used when a laptop is not able to cool itself  sufficiently. It is intended to not only protect the laptop from  overheating but also to prevent the laptop user from suffering from  discomfort that is related to the use of a laptop. An active cooler will  move air around or a cooled liquid to remove laptop heat quickly.  Passive methods use materials that conduct heat and help to increase a  passive airflow around the laptop. 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • HenryQ
    HenryQ Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited September 2018
    Options
    While this was helpful, in a sense - my problem isnt solved. In fact, i get the impression it gets worse. Today max temp reached 98, but since the game ran perfectly normal ingame, it has to boil down to the fan slowing down too quickly. Your answer doesnt actually touch upon THIS particular issue, just temperatures in general.

As with the control panel thing - its already on active. Do you really think this pc could handle a 3D game if it wasnt?
  • italocjs
    italocjs Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have been dealing with this for a couple of years now, never found any fix.   My laptop sometimes shoots the fan to 4300 rpm (both of them) for no reason,  CPU usually stays within 45ºC.  This is extremelly annoying and loud for no apparent reason, and definitely something ill consider before choosing my next laptop.

Tried cleaning internally, tried reinstalling windows and this behavior stills the same,  honestly i dont have any hope of acer fixing it now.