Issues with installing Linux distros on Aspire 7 A715-72G-56ZT

CalebX
CalebX Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi,

I have Just bought an Acer Aspire A715-72G-56ZT and currently I am trying to install any Linux distro (deb or rpm).

When  I start the live Installation, it completes.
After the Installation, When the distro boost, I log in and the laptopa freezes and I get a blank screen.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    What was the factory-installed OS if any? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CalebX
    Some cut version of Linux mint. Just for testing, without a gui
  • CalebX
    JackE said:
    What was the factory-installed OS if any? Jack E/NJ
    Some
     cut version of Linux mint. Just for testing without a gui
  • JackE
    Go for the cinnamon-flavored mint install. I'm on 18.3 now. I'll try 19 on another machine later on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CalebX
    Hello JackE,

I tried Fedora 28 - XFCE, GNOME edition - system hangs at the boot up
    Xubuntu 18.04 - system hangs after log in - black screen with only the mouse visible and moving
    Linux Mint 18.3 - xfce, cinnamon editions - black screen with only the mouse visible and moving
    Linux Mint 19 XFCE, Cinnamon - black screen with only the mouse visible and moving
    I managed to start up right now a mint 19 XFCE edition ( somehow ), but the system hangs after a shutdown/reboot and the Nvidia drivers don't work properly.
    System from time to time hangs, which is not normal at all.
    Other times, when I try to install a fresh Mint 19 - any edition, the system hangs again as mentioned above.
    Bios has been updated to the latest version, due to the fact that there was an bios update, which fixes system hanging issues, but that didn't resolve the issue.
    MX Linux is able, to be installed, but still with some issues as to system hanging.
  • CalebX
    P.S. I don't want to dual boot. I see many resolutions, but for a dual boot situation - with linux and windows.
  • Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    if you live boot and get a blank screen...try this:  boot from the stick and when you get to the "try ubuntu without installing" bit, hit "e" and replace "quiet splash" with "nomodeset" then hit F10 and see what happens (I had a blank screen on a live boot a while back and this got to live boot part)   ((using uefi mode and personally i disable secure boot)) and when installing, make sure to check "install 3rd party..." box
  • JackE
    @CalebX >>>Bios has been updated to the latest version>>>which fixes system hanging issues, but that didn't resolve the issue.>>>MX Linux is able, to be installed, but still with some issues as to system hanging. >>>

???? Did the BIOS firmware update fix the hanging issues or did it NOT fix the hanging issues???? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CalebX
    No, the BIOS update didn't resolve the issue. RPM Linux distros hang at boot. Linux mint and Ubuntu either hang on boot or loads and hangs after the boot up completes.
  • JackE
    What partitions are showing? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CalebX
    ESP partition and ext4
  • CalebX
    This is what happends After the Installation on Ubuntu 18.04. Only a purple screen, with the mouse moving.
  • JackE
    What happens when you right click? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Gawain said:
    if you live boot and get a blank screen...try this:  boot from the stick and when you get to the "try ubuntu without installing" bit, hit "e" and replace "quiet splash" with "nomodeset" then hit F10 and see what happens (I had a blank screen on a live boot a while back and this got to live boot part)   ((using uefi mode and personally i disable secure boot)) and when installing, make sure to check "install 3rd party..." box
    did this have an effect for a live boot?  If so, as Ubuntu is now installed, on boot tap away on E to get to the grub screen and make the same change.
  • CalebX
    @JackE - nothing happends When I right click
    @Gawain - it installed the Ubuntu, but I haven't tried it After the Installation
  • JackE
    What happens if you ctrl+alt+F1? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CalebX
    @JackE nothing
  • JackE
    How much DDR4 is installed? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CalebX