Both Ctrl Keys Not Working On New Nitro 5 (AN515-53)

Options
inverseParanoid
inverseParanoid Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I just received a new Nitro 5 a few days ago. Works like a dream but for some reason neither of the ctrl keys work on the laptop keyboard. The ctrl function works just fine when I plug in an external keyboard or I use the on-screen keyboard, but the physical ctrl keys on the laptop keyboard don't register at all (e.g. I press ctrl+c and it types a "c" instead of copying — it does this with all letters). 

I googled for the solution and tried the following:
  1. turning off sticky/filter keys etc.
  2. pressing ctrl+alt+fn (I even tried this while pressing the ctrl key on an external keyboard and the rest of the working keys on the laptop)
  3. uninstalling the keyboard to trigger windows to reinstall the drivers
  4. downloading and installing new drivers directly from Acer for anything that seemed related to the keyboard
  5. doing a windows fresh start reinstall of the OS
  6. making sure there were no chrome extensions hijacking use of the ctrl keys
  7. making sure that US English was the only keyboard language installed
I really like the laptop and would hate to send it in for repairs or having to return it to Best Buy. Does anyone know anything else I can try to get things working again, or if I can simply go to Best Buy and exchange this model for a working one?

Answers

• Sharanji
    Options
    Hi @inverseParanoid
    I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have tried to resolve the issue.
    Please once more try to press Alt+Ctrl+Fn keys. 

Follow the steps below and check if that helps.
    To check if Ctrl keys work in Onscreen keyboard. Press Windows Key + R and type osk and hit Enter. Try using Ctrl keys and check if that helps.

if you still face the issue, Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.
    Press Windows key + X, select Control panel. Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons. Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel. Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter. Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

If the issue persists, this could also be the hardware issue with of the keyboard itself. I would suggest contacting technical support in your region for further assistance with this issue.
    Acer United States : https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    Acer Worldwide : http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!