I think that I fried my VX5-591G-75RM, adding a bunch of heatsinks.

Options
tacopaco
tacopaco Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
So I used non conductive, thermal epoxy, and attached some heatsinks on the main cpu & gpu block, as well as on some mosfits, and memory.
I did some benchmarking temp tests, for a few hours to see how well it kept the system cool, with a fan on it.  Everything ran cool.
Then, when I put the case on, I plugged it in, and it shut off immediately.  Now I get no light at all, when plugged in, and it will not turn on.
It turns out that the plastic bottom to the laptop, has somewhat electrically conductive paint on it.... It was touching a few of the aluminum heasinks.

What part do you think that I shorted out, and can it be easily repaired with some basic components, and a soldering iron, or butane heatgun, with some flux?

Something like this burned out my desktop cpu years ago.  I had a large heatsink, and the first time that I put the top of the case panel on, it fried the cpu.
I just hope that this is not the same issue, as that is not changeable.

Answers

• tacopaco

Tinkerer

Options
    Update:   It looks like no voltage coming out of the first voltage mosfit, on the charging circuit.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,522 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hard to say from afar what mainboard components were affected. And hard to say from afar if you want to keep tinkering with it or want to get it back up and running. If the latter, I'd probably make a low bid on this replacement mainboard to see what happens.  You never know till you try.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Aspire-VX5-591G-75RM-15-6-OEM-i7-7700HQ-2-86GHz-Motherboard-LA-E361P-ER-/332690369104

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• tacopaco

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Hard to say from afar what mainboard components were affected. And hard to say from afar if you want to keep tinkering with it or want to get it back up and running. If the latter, I'd probably make a low bid on this replacement mainboard to see what happens.  You never know till you try.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Aspire-VX5-591G-75RM-15-6-OEM-i7-7700HQ-2-86GHz-Motherboard-LA-E361P-ER-/332690369104

Jack E/NJ 

Thanks.   I got ***** off, and left it under the couch, out of site.  When I get some time, I'll probably try to bypass the mosfit, and some further testing.  If that's not it, I'll send it in to a repair place, to get it looked at.  Hopefully wont cost more than $150.
    Heck, I won the laptop in a bid for $500.
    If I get it fixed, I'll need to put some electrical tape on the parts where the added heatsinks touch.  (They are thermally epoxied on)
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,522 Trailblazer
    Options
    I'd be tempted to pry the heatsinks off and see what happens. Cuz FETs are ***very*** sensitive to nearby field disruptions like a big conductive mass being glued on them. They're really not very high-power heat-throwing switches on a mainboard. Good luck with it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ