Helios 300 G3-571-77QK Fans running like crazy no matter what game

Options
Mordithin
Mordithin Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hey there, so recently my girlfriend bought the above laptop for gaming. The fans sounds like they are working way too hard and the panel above the number bar gets insanely hot.

So far she has played Abzu, Raft, Path of Exile, and Wildstar. The whole time the laptop was on balanced power mode, switched between low, medium, high, and ultra settings on games, and no matter what the temps always run between 70-80 Celsius which is fine, but the fans run at like 4800-5800 rpm no matter what. She has v-sync enabled with the Nvidia settings from the faq and it stays 60fps consistently without dips. Is that normal and intended with this model? It is SO loud it is ridiculous. We have tried tilting it a bit on a notebook and it didn't seem to do much. We live in new england and it's been about 70-80 Fahrenheit lately. 

We've undervolted it as the faq says and seen no change. We have not yet looked at the thermal paste.

Does the laptop normally sounds this loud? she has to use earbuds to play games or she can't hear it.

I personally use an Asus ROG G-751GT from 2014 and I NEVER hear it get too loud when playing. This is only the 2nd gaming laptop I have ever used besides my asus, so I'm not sure what the norm is for fan noise. We aren't sure at the moment if we want to try and find a fix or simply return it and look for another one. Any help would be appreciated!

Answers

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Unfortunately as more powerful hardware is released the more difficult it will be for cooling systems to keep up.

If your only reaching 80 C you could undervolt to lower temps some more which would in turn lessen rpms on fans OR use the custom fan setting (In Predator Sense) and set the fan sliders to the midway point which should lower rpms to around 3k.
    - Hotel Hero