How to update/flash a BIOS on Acer Aspire One Cloudbook 14 ( 1-431 )

Watricas
Watricas Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
This is gonna be short in terms of specific technical information, please ask any questions you may have in the comments and I'll give you information that might help.

I downloaded the BIOS updater from the page of my laptop model, my question is how do I use it to update my BIOS?

In the ZIP is an EXE file, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to run this from my OS or if I use the FN + ESC thing. ( Which I already tried, and it did nothing for about 1-10 minutes. )

I'm asking this because I've been having various ACPI compatibility issues with both Windows and Linux, trying to install a version of windows gives me an error along the lines of "Your BIOS is not fully ACPI compliant, please contact you manufacture for an updated BIOS." on a blue screen. Linux gives me multiple errors about ACPI on multiple distros.

Am I supposed to run the updater from Windows? If so I can install Windows 10 to do so, which seems to be the only Windows OS that this laptop can run.

Also if it helps, I'm unable to boot into Windows OR Linux with UEFI boot mode enabled, only Legacy boot mode.

My current BIOS version might be 1.1, I'm not sure, comment if you want me to double check and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    run the update from Windows and , you can install windows 10.
    follow this guide to create a compatile UEFI USB bootable device:
    1) download a windows 10 iso using Microsoft tool:
    select the proper windows 10 version (the same installed on your laptop) and choose to save it as iso file when prompted
    2) download Rufus:
    plug your USB flash drive, run Rufus then:
    click on Select and load you downloaded ISO image
    as  Partitions scheme select "GPT"
    as Target System selec "UEFI"
    as File system select "FAT32"
    click on Start
    wait until it finish, then uplug your USB flash drive
    3) backup all your personal data if possible 
    4) Reboot to BIOS, pressing F2 at boot if it's a laptop or Del key if it's a desktop, then press F9 to load default and F10 to save and exit
    5) plug your USB flash drive and at boot press F12 (if F12 doesn't work, see if it auto-recognise the USB flash drive or press F2 or Del key to enter BIOS and enable F12 boot menu under BOOT tab), choose the USB flash drive as bootable device
    6) once at language/keyboard selection, press shift+F10, a command prompt will open
    7) type
    Diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x (x is the number of your HDD/SSD)
    clean
    convert GPT
    exit
    exit again to close command prompt
    8) proceed with windows 10 installation
    I'm not an Acer employee.