After installing a m.2 SSD, Aspire E 15 E5-575-33BM won't power on.

Options
augustushale
augustushale Member Posts: 3 New User
edited July 2022 in Aspire Laptops
Hello there. 

I recently purchased a M.2 SSD drive to help my Aspire run a bit faster, however, when I install the SSD and try to turn my laptop on, it does not turn on. It's not simply that it won't boot or that it takes me to BIOS - it simple doesn't react at all, no lighting, nothing. After removing the SSD, it works with no problems at all. At first I believed this was a problem with the specifics of how it was booting, but even after I fiddled with the BIOS boot settings considerably there was no change. I believe I am using an appropriate M.2 SSD for this and so am at a loss.

My hardware is as follows:

Model: Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575-33BM

Product: E5-575-33BM

Processor: Intel Core i3-7100U

Memory: 12GB

SSD Model: Crucial MX500 250GB SATA M.2 2280SS SSD

I really have no idea how this could occur as it does not seem to be a boot issue, but a total failure to start in any way. I would appreciate any help.

{Thread was edited to add model name to the title}

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,112 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi,
    Did you put the cover back and the three screws hand tightened after installing the SSD? I am asking because there's a safety switch at the back which disconnects the battery when you remove the back cover.
  • augustushale
    Options
    Hi,
    Did you put the cover back and the three screws hand tightened after installing the SSD? I am asking because there's a safety switch at the back which disconnects the battery when you remove the back cover.
    Yes, I did. 
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes, I did. 
    Hi,
    This SSD should work without any issues, I can think of only a faulty SSD( DOA), try returning it for a replacement or a refund.
  • augustushale
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes, I did. 
    Hi,
    This SSD should work without any issues, I can think of only a faulty SSD( DOA), try returning it for a replacement or a refund.
    Well the baffling thing is that if the SSD was faulty it should simply not be available on boot, right? The fact that installing it entirely prevents the computer from starting is the strange part and I am not the only one who has encountered this - someone else ran into an identical problem with a larger SSD of the same type.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    Sorry to hear that you are having problem with this drive, there's a customer who has successfully installed this drive in a E5-575 in the review section of Amazon link, have you inspected for any physical damage like bent pin or anything visible?  I would suggest you to contact Crucial support and they may be able to help you. 
    https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX500-250GB-2280SS-Internal/dp/B077SL4FZG#customerReviews
    http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-contact
  • Donovan
    Donovan Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited October 2018
    Options
    The OP has probably found a solution by now, but I am posting the solution here in case it helps someone else. After opening the back cover of an Acer laptop with a built-in battery it triggers a safety switch that disconnects the internal battery. The laptop has a little pinhole at the back (indicated by a little battery icon) that can be pressed with a paper clip to reset the battery to an "ON" position. Sometimes you need to hold the pinhole button in for several seconds (8 seconds or more), sometimes you have to press it several times, and sometimes you need to wait a couple of minutes after pressing it. 
  • jqheywood
    jqheywood Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    [SOLVED] Just had this problem after installing a Crucial MX500 500Gb SSD (SATA M.2 2280) into my new Acer Aspire E-15 (E5-576-392H). Installed the SSD, wouldn't power on at all. Removed the SSD, powered up fine (making sure each time to reinstall the cover). Turned out I installed the SSD upside down. The label on the drive should be down apparently, and the chipside up (as you look at it in the open bay with the laptop upside down). I re-installed it the correct way, and now it powers up, boots, and works.
  • Aenish
    Aenish Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Same problem after cleaning the dust and replacing cooling glue and replacing 16gb of default ssd with M.2 ssd of 128 gb laptop hasnot been power on at any cost . Is my mother board gone ?