Heavy Performance Drops since BIOS update

LeadOn
LeadOn Member Posts: 12 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello guys,

I got an Acer Predator G9-593 and I've made the latest BIOS Update for Spectre security fix, but the overall performance of my laptop is really poor right now. Before: Overwatch in EPIC was between 60 to 80 fps, now in low, 70 fps with drops while nothing running in background.

Is there any mean to Back flash the BIOS ?

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    LeadOn 

Try to reset BIOS to default settings. Start your computer and as soon as you hit the Power On button, keep pressing the F2 key. You can simply hit the F9 key to display a blue screen that says Load Setup defaults? Clicking on Yes will restore the default BIOS settings.  Press F10 to save and exit.

You can't roll back to previous version of BIOS. Downgrading the BIOS is not something people normally do, but there are times when the older BIOS version works better than the current one and you need to downgrade to it while waiting for a newer, more stable BIOS release.

Also,  please use a third party software like HWMonitor or SpinDisk to monitor internal temperature, if something may be overheating. 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    in a nutshell, Spectre/Meltdown "fixes" are a bodge job that can impact performance.   As the update came from Acer, complain furiously to them about it....
  • LeadOn
    LeadOn Member Posts: 12 New User
    Thank u guys !
  • Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    LeadOn said:
    Hello guys,

I got an Acer Predator G9-593 and I've made the latest BIOS Update for Spectre security fix, but the overall performance of my laptop is really poor right now. Before: Overwatch in EPIC was between 60 to 80 fps, now in low, 70 fps with drops while nothing running in background.

You could run a GPU benchmark then others could compare the performance of their G9-793/G9-793.  Try doing a full shutdown (press and hold the Shift key on keyboard, while clicking on Shut down), restart the notebook, allow it to settle for 10 minutes, then check out the FPS on Epic settings.

Let us know how it turns out :)

Q-6

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,083 Trailblazer
    This is the result of my Graphics BM after the update.

• Queen6
    What's the App, Turbo on or off? thx

Q-6
  • brummyfan2
    Queen6 said:

Q-6

I have used userbenchmark.com, this is the result with Turbo on.

• Queen6
    Queen6 said:

Q-6

Nice BM, no installation required B)  Have a boat load of Apps open equally:

GPU Turbo off

GPU Turbo on

BIOS is 1.13.  I'll run the BM again from a full shutdown and post the results.  My Predator 17 is a "working dog" so need time for that one :) Looking at the numbers we're a generation apart, so some variance is to be expected at just 2.6% no concerns...

FWIW NVida driver is 390.77 released end Jan 2018, same as your G9-793

Q-6
  • brummyfan2
    Queen6 said:
    Queen6 said:

Q-6

GPU Turbo off

GPU Turbo on

BIOS is 1.13.  I'll run the BM again from a full shutdown and post the results.  My Predator 17 is a "working dog" so need time for that one :) Looking at the numbers we're a generation apart, so some variance is to be expected at just 2.6% no concerns...

Q-6

Thanks for the BM scores, very impressive, I didn't bother to update my graphics driver and expecting Windows Update to do it for me =)
  • Queen6
    Queen6 said:
    Queen6 said:

Q-6

GPU Turbo off

GPU Turbo on

Q-6

Thanks for the BM scores, very impressive, I didn't bother to update my graphics driver and expecting Windows Update to do it for me =)

Thx, it can push a little harder, latest with some applications closed, Turbo on:

System looks to be well dialled looking at the numbers on the site, it might pull another percent or so off a cold start, equally it's right up there for a 7700HQ.  GPU driver I stopped at 390.77 as read posts of next revision stuttering, may update if I see any performance benefits.

Q-6
  • Queen6
    edited April 2018
    After a cold start, background App's only...

Q-6
  • AllBDev
    AllBDev Member Posts: 1 New User
    LeadOn said:
    Hello guys,

So, download 7zip program then download wished version of bios updater (I tried it with the 11th version).
    Unpack the 'BIOS_111.exe' in the 7z to some folder (ignore warnings during unpacking). Then open file 'platform.ini' in this folder with the any plain text editor (notepad++ I using), search section '[Bios_Version_Check]' with parameter 'Flag'. Change Flag from '1' to '0' value, save updated file. Start 'H2OFFT-Wx64.exe'. The BIOS will be downgraded. I checked it for 1.14 to 1.13, then to 1.11.
    I hope it will be useful.

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited June 2018
    Gawain said:
    in a nutshell, Spectre/Meltdown "fixes" are a bodge job that can impact performance.   As the update came from Acer, complain furiously to them about it....
    I do not agree to this. I have both in place, and not much performance hit. I won't say there is no hit at all, but it is very less. In fact I barely see any performance hit on my day to day tasks and in the games i play as well.

I am on G3-572 with 1.13 bios update.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Queen6
    sri369 said:
    Gawain said:
    I do not agree to this. I have both in place, and not much performance hit. I won't say there is no hit at all, but it is very less. In fact I barely see any performance hit on my day to day tasks and in the games i play as well.

I am on G3-572 with 1.13 bios update.

Predator 17 (G9-793) 7700HQ, GTX 1070 on 1.13 (different model, different BIOS).  For the Spectre fix concern is the loss of performance for NVME SSD's, SATA SSD's wont see this issue.

Q-6
  • Bearfight
    Bearfight Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited July 2019
    My G9-593 with the 6700HQ definetly took a hit from v1.14, as did my NVMe performance.  I also just noticed about a 1200 point drop in my 3DMark scores from last year (havent benchmarked in a while - I sort of hate doing it) and I attribute the performance loss to BIOS 1.14 - the noticeable losses were in the Physics and Combined categories, both of which are CPU-bound.  It is possible to roll back to v1.13.

Here's how I did it in case someone else wants to roll back too. This write-up is intended for G9-593 bios files. Specifically, rolling back from v1.14 to v1.13. YMMV with a different model but, the process should be similar.
    1. Download "7zip" if you don't already have it --> https://www.7-zip.org/

2. I'm assuming you already have BIOS_113.exe extracted and ready in a folder somewhere.

3. Right click on BIOS_113.exe - expand "7zip" menu and choose "Extract to "BIOS_113\""

4. In the newly created "BIOS_113" folder, find "platform.ini" and open it in a text editor

5. In platform.ini, find line #449 or search for "VersionFormat=XN.TTDDDDD"

6. Change it to "VersionFormat=N.DD" and save

7. In BIOS_113 folder, run H2OFFT-Wx64.exe

8. Follow on-screen instructions and flash back to 1.13

Cheers and be well.