bd prochot causes cpu throttling to 803 mhz (helios 300 i7-8750h)

vedang55
vedang55 Member Posts: 21 Networker
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
My new helios 300 (ph315-51) with Intels new coffee lake i7-8750h and gtx 1050ti  often drops its cpu clock to 803mhz while gaming after every minute or so and i noticed this happening whenever bd prochot in hwinfo is set to yes, and according to my findings, bd prochot signal triggers when laptop switches it power source from ac to battery. Is it because acer gave me a mere 135 watt ac adapter and is insufficient from my laptop hence causing random power source switches to battery? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Best Answers

• Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    vedang55 said:
    thQueen6 said:
    PROCHOT is generally associated with processor hot which is the signal that's activated within the CPU when it reaches T-Junction. This signal is what initiates thermal throttling so the CPU can reduce frequency preventing over heating. Intel included a bi-directional feature so if something else like a GPU is running too hot, it too can send a PROCHOT signal directly to the CPU and force it to cool down to reduce the notebooks overall temperature.

It's possible to disable PROCHOT with ThrottleStop, equally it's in place as a safety feature (if implemented by the manufacturer) to lessen the chance of damage due to overheating.  There may be an artificially low max temperature implemented in the firmware that's triggering BD PROCHOT, you try disabling the feature, equally wise to monitor system wide temperatures.  ThrottleStop will also indicate the PROCHOT max value on my Predator 17 it's 96C, being just one degree below the point of thermal throttling.

If the power supply is inadequate the system will pull power from the notebooks battery to augment the supply.  8th Gen CPU's are still relatively new and may require BIOS updates to improve performance.  I recently read an article on the new Predator Helios 500 with Intel i9 8950HK and it too throttled unexpectedly at low operating temperatures.

Q-6

thanks a lot, disabling prochot does fix the issue, but i am hesitant to keep it disabled, also i just found that whenever bd prochot signal was activated and frames dropped,laptop starts charging(status light turns red). Do you think 135w for this machine is inadequate and that acer should have given a higher rated adapter?

A lot of notebooks can exhibit this behaviour, especially if they have factory OC features.  I'd look at the temperatures with HWinfo64 carefully as BD PROCHOT is being triggered for a reason...

As for power draw I'm not sure my own Predator 17 with 7700HQ & GTX 1070 has a 230W power supply, CPU is undervolted (-132.8mV) so generally stays well below the 45W PL1 limit and rarely coming close the PL2 limit of 56W.  GPU is stock and it alone can draw over 120W (HWinfo64).  You should be able to see the GPU's max power draw in HWinfo64.

I'd be inclined to undervolt the CPU as this will help to slightly reduce the power draw, it's also possible to undervolt the GPU or at least reduce the power curves with MSI Afterburner (no used myself).  You can also if using ThrottleStop you can either try disabling Turbo or reducing the Turbo Ratio Limits by 2 for the active cores, this will effectively reduce the Turbo boost and the power consumption.

Q-6
  • vedang55
    Answer ✓
    Uninstalling geforce experience solved the issue,  =)=)

Answers

• Queen6
    edited May 2018
    PROCHOT is generally associated with processor hot which is the signal that's activated within the CPU when it reaches T-Junction. This signal is what initiates thermal throttling so the CPU can reduce frequency preventing over heating. Intel included a bi-directional feature so if something else like a GPU is running too hot, it too can send a PROCHOT signal directly to the CPU and force it to cool down to reduce the notebooks overall temperature.

It's possible to disable PROCHOT with ThrottleStop, equally it's in place as a safety feature (if implemented by the manufacturer) to lessen the chance of damage due to overheating.  There may be an artificially low max temperature implemented in the firmware that's triggering BD PROCHOT, you try disabling the feature, equally wise to monitor system wide temperatures.  ThrottleStop will also indicate the PROCHOT max value on my Predator 17 it's 96C, being just one degree below the point of thermal throttling.

If the power supply is inadequate the system will pull power from the notebooks battery to augment the supply.  8th Gen CPU's are still relatively new and may require BIOS updates to improve performance.  I recently read an article on the new Predator Helios 500 with Intel i9 8950HK and it too throttled unexpectedly at low operating temperatures.

Q-6

• vedang55
    edited May 2018
    thQueen6 said:

Q-6

thanks a lot, disabling prochot does fix the issue, but i am hesitant to keep it disabled, also i just found that whenever bd prochot signal was activated and frames dropped,laptop starts charging(status light turns red). Do you think 135w for this machine is inadequate and that acer should have given a higher rated adapter?
  • Queen6
    Answer ✓
    vedang55 said:
    thQueen6 said:

Q-6

A lot of notebooks can exhibit this behaviour, especially if they have factory OC features.  I'd look at the temperatures with HWinfo64 carefully as BD PROCHOT is being triggered for a reason...

As for power draw I'm not sure my own Predator 17 with 7700HQ & GTX 1070 has a 230W power supply, CPU is undervolted (-132.8mV) so generally stays well below the 45W PL1 limit and rarely coming close the PL2 limit of 56W.  GPU is stock and it alone can draw over 120W (HWinfo64).  You should be able to see the GPU's max power draw in HWinfo64.

I'd be inclined to undervolt the CPU as this will help to slightly reduce the power draw, it's also possible to undervolt the GPU or at least reduce the power curves with MSI Afterburner (no used myself).  You can also if using ThrottleStop you can either try disabling Turbo or reducing the Turbo Ratio Limits by 2 for the active cores, this will effectively reduce the Turbo boost and the power consumption.

Q-6
  • vedang55
    Answer ✓
  • Queen6
    edited May 2018
    vedang55 said:

I'd hazard a guess that Geforce Experience was set to record as this literally slaughters the GPU and pushes temps hard (BD PROCHOT), seen same with the W10 Gaming settings.  I have Geforce Experience installed, however everything is set to "off" and I only use it for the occasional FPS check, did consider uninstalling, but it has no impact on performance. 

Q-6
  • vedang55
    Queen6 said:
    vedang55 said:

I'd hazard a guess that Geforce Experience was set to record as this literally slaughters the GPU and pushes temps hard (BD PROCHOT), seen same with the W10 Gaming settings.  I have Geforce Experience installed, however everything is set to "off" and I only use it for the occasional FPS check, did consider uninstalling, but it has no impact on performance. 

Q-6
    Actually there was never any thermal throttling,i checked in xtu, aida, hwinfo, throttlestop and they never indicated thermal throttling, CPU temps  occasionally hit 90C(ambient temp ~31C), but PROCHOT value in throttlestop was 100C, GPU temps never exceed 75C. 
  • Queen6
    vedang55 said:
    Queen6 said:
    vedang55 said:

Q-6
    Actually there was never any thermal throttling,i checked in xtu, aida, hwinfo, throttlestop and they never indicated thermal throttling, CPU temps  occasionally hit 90C(ambient temp ~31C), but PROCHOT value in throttlestop was 100C, GPU temps never exceed 75C. 

Just depends how Acer implemented BD PROCHOT, the good is it's no longer a problem.  As users it's difficult to know exactly their intention, equally there must have been a very significant load to trigger the notebook to charge while on the mains supply.

Q-6