Aspire E15 HDD not detected by bios the Acer screen shows up, the "No bootable device" screen shows

BurdiiAko
BurdiiAko Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited May 2023 in Aspire Laptops
Since my hdd can't be detected by my bios, I can't use my laptop, which is an Aspire E15. The hard disk seems to be spinning so it could be still functioning. I've had this problem 3 months ago and I fixed it in just 5 hours, but I can't remember what I did in order to fix it. I've tried changing the boot mode from UEFI to Legacy, but nothing happens after that. After the Acer screen shows up, the "No bootable device" screen shows up. I don't want to go outside for someone to repair this for me knowing that I have fixed this problem already.
[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    ACER model and number? Change back to UEFI bootstrapper. And make sure the D2D recovery option is enabled in the BIOS Main tab. Press F10 to save settings and exit. Then press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds till the laptop completely shuts off. Then turn it back on again and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. A recovery screen should appear if your HDD still has a functional hidden recovery partition. Try to reset it to factory fresh state. Jack E/NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzLJRAZldA

Jack E/NJ

• BurdiiAko

Tinkerer

edited May 2018
    D2D recovery is enabled in bios. I tried holding the alt key and tapping the f10 key but it does nothing. No please wait on screen. I also tried plugging in Windows 10 on a flash drive in my laptop. No partitions were found.
  • BurdiiAko

Tinkerer

This is what I get.
  • BurdiiAko

Tinkerer

And then this happened
  • JackE
    What is the full ACER model and number? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BurdiiAko

Tinkerer

E5-575G-728J
  • msihtasham
    msihtasham Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

try to perform disk sanitization that will run atleast 5 hours
  • JackE
    @BurdiiAko HDD0 is MBR partitioned and only can be seen in Legacy mode. HDD1 is GPT partitioned and only can be seen in UEFI mode. If you are trying to dual boot, the original Win10 boot HDD must remain GPT partitioned with UEFI BIOS. And the other HDD must converted from MBR to GPT partitioned with UEFI BIOS. Then both HDDs will be seen. You cannot run the original ACER Win10 installation in Legacy mode!!!! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BurdiiAko

Tinkerer

Disk sanitization? Laptop cant detect hdd so cant do that
  • BurdiiAko

Tinkerer

On uefi, hdd1 doesnt appear. I turned on legacy mode so I can boot into my usb
  • JackE
    (1) If HDD1 does NOT appear in either UEFI or Legacy mode then it must be initialized. (2) Is HDD0 the original factory-installed drive? (3) The USB stick must be GPT partition FAT32 to boot in UEFI mode. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BurdiiAko

Tinkerer

HDD0 is the drive that came with the laptop
  • JackE
    Boot into Windows. Then open Disk Management. Post a screenshot of what is shown. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BurdiiAko

Tinkerer

Can't boot into windows. 
  • JackE
    The original factory HDD0 now won't boot in either Legacy or UEFI mode?????  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BurdiiAko

Tinkerer

Yeah thats right
  • JackE
    OK. HDD0 seems have been MBR partitioned when you acquired the machine. And it also seems to be recognized by the BIOS in legacy mode which makes sense if it MBR partitioned. So let's try to re-activate Windows from its hidden partition. But before we try, can you first temporarily remove HDD1 so that only HDD0 is active? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BurdiiAko

Tinkerer

How to remove?
  • JackE
    If you haven't done removed HDD1 before, let's not even try now. But before trying to re-activate Windows, what do you think caused this to happen the first time 3 months ago? Did you try to update the BIOS? Did you try to change things in the BIOS menu? Did you do or install anything out of the ordinary? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• BurdiiAko

Tinkerer

The laptop was lagging before this problem occured 3 months ago, and then it went to the blue screen of death.