Windows freeze for 1-2 sec when doing mouse right click

Catalyst_47
Catalyst_47 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I bought new Acer predator helios 300 g3-572 and when I am doing right click window is freezing for 1-2 sec and even if I try to open battery option or go inside my PC happens the same.
So should I ask for replacement?

Best Answer

• DarkRaNgEr
    DarkRaNgEr Member Posts: 92 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited March 2018 Answer ✓

Hi Catalyst_47,

There is a problem with laptops which have Intel CPU + GTX 1050/1050Ti/1060/1070. The problem is, whenever you try to do some action on the OS, discrete GPU is triggered and it causes a 0.5s freeze.

Some actions, which cause the dGPU to wake up and lock up the whole system for about 0,5 seconds are:

Right click on desktop

Left click on battery-icon in task-bar

Opening Chrome-browser

Opening Windows Image Viewer (app + classic Foto viewer)

Opening system control panel

Provocation any animation on task bar (e.g. thumbnail-preview, ...)

Loading a new tab in Firefox

Here is a video demonstrating Display Setting Freeze: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Thanks and Regards,

DarkRaNgEr

Answers

• DarkRaNgEr
    edited March 2018 Answer ✓

Hi Catalyst_47,

There is a problem with laptops which have Intel CPU + GTX 1050/1050Ti/1060/1070. The problem is, whenever you try to do some action on the OS, discrete GPU is triggered and it causes a 0.5s freeze.

Some actions, which cause the dGPU to wake up and lock up the whole system for about 0,5 seconds are:

Right click on desktop

Left click on battery-icon in task-bar

Opening Chrome-browser

Opening Windows Image Viewer (app + classic Foto viewer)

Opening system control panel

Provocation any animation on task bar (e.g. thumbnail-preview, ...)

Loading a new tab in Firefox

Here is a video demonstrating Display Setting Freeze: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY

Thanks and Regards,

DarkRaNgEr

• Catalyst_47
    Catalyst_47 Member Posts: 2 New User
    So should I ask for replacement? I have 10 days replacement policy and is this happening to every laptop with gtx 1050 above
  • DarkRaNgEr
    So should I ask for replacement? I have 10 days replacement policy and is this happening to every laptop with gtx 1050 above

You can try this from your end or else get in touch with reseller and check with them for an alternative solution.

Thanks and Regards,

DarkRaNgEr

• BatDracula
    BatDracula Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I bought a Helios 300 myself 1-2 days ago and noticed some issues are there so i wanted to make a new thread but i'm getting some errors while creating one. I'm pasting all the stuff here from my thread, Your problem is same as my 3rd point and I've another solution for that. ---------------- Hey guys, i need some help regarding "Acer Predator Helios 300", which i purchased recently so the return window is still there. So i was testing the laptop thoroughly and have some issues here and there. At least i think they are issues. Which are listed as most important to least. 1- There is some vibration or current flowing in the laptop body whenever i connect the charger with it. The vibration is constant and almost on all over the laptop. I've noticed it with swiping my fingers left and right. I've connected my old Acer charger with it and the same happens with it too. The vibration is pretty noticeable and constant. 2- I'm only getting the battery backup for 3 hours or 3.5 hours with WiFi always on + 100% Brightness which is not what i was expecting. I thought it would give the 5 hours backup easily. 3- There is some freezing in the OS (Win10) which i cant figure out like - - Mouse pointer freezing for 1-2 seconds when i right click on desktop. - Opening control panel freeze it for 1-2 seconds too. I disabled "Add desktop context menu" option in Nvidia control panel and that solved the mouse pointer freezing but only till i restarted the laptop. After restarting it came back and now even after disabling that option it won't go away. Please help guys, I really appreciate if anyone who uses this laptop personally can test their model for the first two points, cause i know the freezing part is some software issue that we can sort out later. Please check with charger connected if there are any vibrations, by touching the back of the laptop, above the keyboard and the sides of the mouse pad. Regards.
  • seaeagle2323
    seaeagle2323 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi,

I just got this laptop and have the same issue! its actually an issue with the windows 10 creators update! to fix it download this!

https://github.com/jobeid/TrayPwrD3

its a stand alone app which sits in the system tray! and keeps the discrete gpu on and stops it from going into idle! fixes all the lag and right click problems and also makes launching windows explorer instant! 

ive looked over heaps of forums and windows know about the issue its an issue with all laptops that have a discrete gpu and they are going to push out a update to fix it!

in the mean time! use traypwrd3
  • BatDracula

Tinkerer

Hi,

I just got this laptop and have the same issue! its actually an issue with the windows 10 creators update! to fix it download this!

its a stand alone app which sits in the system tray! and keeps the discrete gpu on and stops it from going into idle! fixes all the lag and right click problems and also makes launching windows explorer instant! 

ive looked over heaps of forums and windows know about the issue its an issue with all laptops that have a discrete gpu and they are going to push out a update to fix it!

in the mean time! use traypwrd3

Thanks for confirming and the solution. I just deleted some registry folder after researching for hours and that seems to solve the right click freezing on desktop.

Again can you check with your model for any vibration or current flowing after connecting it with the charger? Here are the details.

""" There is some vibration or current flowing in the laptop body whenever i connect the charger with it. The vibration is constant and almost on all over the laptop. I've noticed it with swiping my fingers left and right. I've connected my old Acer charger with it and the same happens with it too. The vibration is pretty noticeable and constant."""

• seaeagle2323
    seaeagle2323 Member Posts: 3 New User
    i dont have any however most apple computers do it and my ipad does it! its normal if you google it

• BatDracula

Tinkerer

@seaeagle2323 Thanks man.
  • Shreyamsh73
    Shreyamsh73 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Its been 2 weeks that I have brought acer predator helios 300 G3-572. It freezes while gaming and it just shuts down on itself when not plugged in. I have updated the bios and tried reinstalling all the graphic drivers. But the problem still persists. I am also experiencing right click freeze problem. Is it suppose to freeze while playing COD 4 with GTX 1050ti?
    Please help me with all these issues 
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited May 2018
    If you're having the "slow when right clicking desktop" problem I have a fix for you.

First go to your Intel GPU settings and turn on "show in system tray"

Then you need to click your start button and start typing "regedit" then hit enter.

When the regedit menu pops up youre going to navigate to..

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

Under ContextMenuHandlers you will see a number of folders in the drop down list.

Your going to find "igfxcui" and "igfxDTCM". Right click those and choose "export" and save the backup to a safe location (I chose My Documents)

Once you've backed them both up you can right click both "igfxcui" and "igfxDTCM" and delete them both.

This removes the Intel GPU options context menu from desktop right click. (You can still access Intel GPU options from system tray)

OR if you decide you don't want Intel in the system tray then you can skip that step and just use CNTRL+ALT+F12 to access your Intel gpu settings.

Of your having lag right click from other applications there is a slight workaround until the dual gpu setup can be optimized from windows. 

What I did was assign the Acer Power Button (.exe) to the nvidia gpu so that the nvidia gpu stays active but the program is small enough to allow the nvidia gpu to still idle. 

There's also an application called traypwr it basically leaves your gpu active to remove the input lag.

There is a developer who uses this program and didn't like how it would stay active whole on battery so he wrote a tweak into the software to disable it on battery. 
    You're welcome.
    - Hotel Hero