1803 update bricks intel graphics on aspire e5-576g-5762

bwat47
bwat47 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

The windows 10 1803 update completely breaks the intel 620 graphics driver on the aspire e5-576g-5762

Windows boots using software rendering and device manager shows a code 43 error for the intel device.

I uninstalled the device (and the driver) via the device manager and rebooted. windows re-installed the driver (version 23.20.16.4901), but the problem remains...

There is no newer driver on acer's drivers page (newest is 23.20.16.4901 from 3/30), and trying to install a newer driver direct from intel (which does say it added support for the 1803 update in the changelog) does not work (intel says the driver can't be installed due to acer's driver customization).

The only fix is to roll back to 1709, but since this is windows 10 home, it repeatedly tries to re-apply the 1803 update.

this is completely ridiculous. Acer, PLEASE update your intel driver.

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,078 Trailblazer
    edited May 2018
    Hi,
    Go to Station-drivers site(the link below) and download driver version 22.20.16.4815, then go to Device manager and uninstall the display adapter driver, do not reboot, install the downloaded driver and see whether it fixes the problem.
    http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=352&func=fileinfo&id=3125&lang=en
  • bwat47

Tinkerer

It won't even let me install that, says the computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements to install the software
  • brummyfan2
    edited May 2018
    I am out of ideas, if I come across a solution let you know in the meantime wait for someone else to chime in.
  • bwat47

Tinkerer

The driver directly from intel does not install, it tells me I need to download the driver from the manufacturer
  • brummyfan2
    Glad you got it sorted and thanks for posting your finding :)
  • lucasinkorea
    lucasinkorea Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited May 2018
    I just fixed the problem with latest dirver 24.20.100.6025 from Intel website for Graphic driver download.
    (my Laptop PC is "E5-576-54YL; Intel i5-8250U / Intel UHD 620")

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27680/Graphics--Windows-10-?product=124967 

P.S. When I try install the file. It's not working for some issues. So, I just use driver update via 'device manager>Display Adapter>...>local disk'

Cheers to you guys.
  • adastarr
    adastarr Member Posts: 1 New User
    Thank you SO MUCH for this fix! I was being blinded by my screen with no brightness settings. I forgot about the 'have disk' driver setting. Cheers!
  • eminem9h
    eminem9h Member Posts: 6 New User
    bwat47 said:
    I was able to get the official intel driver to install by downloading the .zip version of the driver (and extracted it), going into device manager | right click intel 620 device | update driver | browse my computer for driver software | let me pick from a list of available drivers | have disk | and then selected the igdlh64 file from the \graphics subfolder from the intel driver

This allowed me to update the driver without getting a code 43 error or it complaining about needing the manufacturer driver

But seriously acer, you need to update your manufacturer driver. 23.20.16.4901 is NOT compatible with the 1803 update...

let me ask ?? 
    this is the old driver or the now one you manag to setup ??
  • tomexsans
    tomexsans Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited May 2018
    To save you some time, THis method works on my
    Acer Aspire E15 E5-576G-50EN , I5-825OU , windows 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27680/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=124967

Download the ZIP one and use the manual install like bwat47 has suggested:
    bwat47 said:
    I was able to get the official intel driver to install by downloading the .zip version of the driver (and extracted it), going into device manager | right click intel 620 device | update driver | browse my computer for driver software | let me pick from a list of available drivers | have disk | and then selected the igdlh64 file from the \graphics subfolder from the intel driver

This allowed me to update the driver without getting a code 43 error or it complaining about needing the manufacturer driver

But seriously acer, you need to update your manufacturer driver. 23.20.16.4901 is NOT compatible with the 1803 update...

• JomGapuz
    JomGapuz Member Posts: 1 New User
    tomexsans said:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27680/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=124967

bwat47 said:

Do you have any issue with this method so far?
  • rodvre123
    rodvre123 Member Posts: 1 New User
    This worked for me, thank you so much!
  • tomexsans

Tinkerer

JomGapuz said:
    tomexsans said:

bwat47 said:

Do you have any issue with this method so far?

Currently i am having issues with screen going blank. Then windows warns me that the display driver failed and is using windows generic drivers.
    But upon looking on device manager the there are no errors or driving is running good.
    I haven't tested it thoroughly though, since i don't use this laptop too often.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited May 2018
    @tomexsans

Are you running the latest BIOS.  It looks like Acer released a new BIOS update about a week ago......although I don't know if it will help.

You might want to go to device manager and uninstall all of your intel graphics drivers (make sure you tick the box to delete the software) and try a fresh install of Intel driver using the HaveDisk method.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • tomexsans

Tinkerer

edited May 2018
    @JordanB

Thanks i have installed the new Intel driver

Version: 24.20.100.6094 (Latest) Date: 5/22/2018

and documented it on this thread 
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/574881

• AeonIX
    AeonIX Member Posts: 5 New User

bwat47 said:

My laptop is E5-576G-50ZQ and I have the same problem. Does this work on 1809 update?
  • BrendanP
    BrendanP Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

I bought an E5-576G-5762; did a clean install of Win10, and had all kinds of issues with the laptop freezing / rebooting...it was U620 driver related...the screen would go hay-wire, and then the laptop would shutdown within 10 seconds or so. Since I had the latest version of Windows 10 (1809 update) I couldn't find any drivers on the Acer site to help.

I can't install the latest drivers from Intel, because they're all bundled as EXE, and the EXE won't run (saying I need to check with my manufacturer)

So far, this has been my fix:

Go to the intel site (linked above) and download a legacy driver that comes in a zip package...from there, install that via the "Device Manager > Update Driver > have disk" method.

Once you have a non-Acer driver installed, you can then download and run the latest EXE file (I have the Beta driver 25.20.100.6577) and run the EXE without issue. So far, my laptop has been stable, and the Intel driver is handing off to the NVIDIA driver without issue. I'll update if it crashes.

I hope this helps somebody!

The "Other" fix that I've been doing is just living on the Ubuntu-side of my machine...it's a dual-boot, and Ubuntu has no problems with the Intel / NVidia drivers.
  • BrendanP

Tinkerer

Sigh....after a few hours (playing some games, watching some videos, etc...) the laptop screen glitched and the laptop froze and shutdown while on the web...back to the drawing board.
  • AeonIX
    AeonIX Member Posts: 5 New User
    Acer only works with 1709 update. I downgraded from 1809 to 1709 and it works fine. Guess I'll have to keep using 1709 til Acer updates their drivers.
  • BrendanP

Tinkerer

AeonIX said:
    Acer only works with 1709 update. I downgraded from 1809 to 1709 and it works fine. Guess I'll have to keep using 1709 til Acer updates their drivers.

#AeonIX: I guess that's an option...but it sure seems limiting. For me, I'm going to be working from the Ubuntu half of my SDD until Acer, Intel, or Windows comes up with a fix....what a hot-mess.