Recurring grub-efi problem with Ubuntu system on Spin 1

raysa
raysa Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited March 20 in 2018 Archives
I have installed Xubuntu 18.04 on an Acer Spin 1 (sole installation - I removed Windows). It mostly works fine but there is a recurring problem which occurs when I try to install new software apps, or sometimes just firing up installed apps. I get an error message which tells me to type "dpkg --configure -a" in a terminal. When I do this the terminal shows some activity which varies each time but a consistent message occurs:
  • Setting up grub-efi-amd64-signed (1.93+2.02-2ubuntu8) ...
  • Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
Then nothing happens and however long I leave it I don't get the $prompt back in the terminal, and everything just hangs.
If I reboot everything seems OK ... until that message pops up again!
How can I sort out this 'grub-efi-amd64-signed' problem?

Answers

• raysa

Tinkerer

Sorry, typing error.  That should be Xubuntu 18.04 ... the latest distro.
  • Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited May 2018
    when you originally installed xubuntu, were you connected to the web when it was live booted or did you install then configure web connection after it had completed?  And did you manually partition or let it do it for you? (a screen shot of your partitions would be good)

• raysa

Tinkerer

Thanks.  Yes I was connected to the web when I did the install while live-booted.
    I let the install do the partitioning after selecting the sole installation option (wiping Windows).
    Not sure how to take a screen shot of partitions, but gparted shows the hard drive to have three partitions:
    1. EFI system, fat32 500MB
    2. the main disk area, ext4
    3. an unallocated 1MB
    As this is a new installation on a new machine with very little data on it yet I am prepared to re-install from scratch if it would get me going without this 'grub-efi-amd64-signed' problem which seems to crop up with almost every system-type operation and prevents me installing some stuff I really want.

• Gawain
    edited May 2018
     okay, during the install, there is a check box about 3rd party stuff, did you click this also?  And do you know if secure boot is disabled in the bios?

• raysa

Tinkerer

I'm pretty sure I didn't click for 3rd party stuff ...  ubuntu updates yes, but not 3rd party.
    I've seen differing opinions about secure boot, so I have tried both enabled and disabled, but only since the installation (and it doesn't seem to affect the recurring problem) - At the time of the installation it would have been whatever the default in the machine is.
  • Gawain
    well, as install takes around 20 mins and i read a couple of threads on other sites with the same problem and ticking the 3rd party during install seemed to resolve, I'd give it a go if it was me.  Install with secure boot disabled too (it's an MS reaction thing and personally i don't see it adding anything to security for a sole linux install anyway).  The 3rd party box is unchecked by default for reasons of legality with licenses amongst other things, rather than for any technical reason as far as i can see.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited May 2018
    @raysa and @Gawain

Some Apollo Lake users are using the link below.

http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2018/01/running-and-installing-fedora-on-apollo.html

While other Apollo Lake users are using the link(s) below (Sladek90 post or MegaParsec post and CupofTea post)

https://askubuntu.com/questions/862946/unable-to-install-ubuntu-on-acer-aspire-es1-533

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/539832

I don't own an Apollo Lake device.  I ***think*** some Apollo Lake devices might have "Select a Trusted UEFI file" in the UEFI and some don't have it in UEFI.  But not sure. I don't have a firm grasp on Acer Apollo Lake devices.  Good luck.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    OK there have been improvements so besides Manjaro and Kali 18-02, now Fedora 28 and Ubuntu 18.04 all boot on my Spin 1 Apollo Lake (Fedora is kind slow to get started).
  • kevinlink
    kevinlink Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi raysa. Have you had any luck resolving this issue? I have exactly the same problem you describe, having installed Lubuntu 18.04 dual-booting Windows 10 on an SP111-31. I have tried many re-installations, all of which ultimately work, regardless of 3rd-party stuff, connecting to the internet, or other install modifications. JordanB's suggestions are indeed helpful for getting it to install. But the grub-efi problem persists. Moreover, Boot Repair screws up the whole system, necessitating booting from usb and reinstalling grub.
  • HughR
    HughR Member Posts: 3 New User
    I just got a Spin sp111-31.  I updated the firmware to v1.08.  It would not boot a Fedora 29 live USB.  But it would boot the same image from a USB DVD drive.
    I hope that this helps someone.