How to install linux mint on aspire 1 a114-31-c5ub&

sergiy
sergiy Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi. I tried to install linux mint on my laptop but when grub2 was installing all installation was freezing. How can I fix it?

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,752 Pathfinder
    Hi,

A bisnext summary would help, boot your live usb and open a terminal:

CODE: SELECT ALL

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cematinla/bisnext
    apt update
    apt install bisnext inxi --install-recommends
    bisnext --pastebin
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    @sergiy Are you trying to install Mint in UEFI mode alongside Windows in dual boot? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sergiy

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    @sergiy Are you trying to install Mint in UEFI mode alongside Windows in dual boot? Jack E/NJ
    Hi JackE. I cant do nothing now. I deleted all partitions on eMMC memory when installed mint. And now can't even enter to bios with F2. I managed to install ubuntu, but i can't to launch it because i see only black screen with lock and "secure boot fail" inscription. Can you help me?
  • JackE
    Try this first. Press & hold power button till machine completely shuts off. Then press & hold the F2 key. Then turn the machine back on while still holding the F2 key. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sergiy

Tinkerer

edited April 2018
    JackE said:
    Try this first. Press & hold power button till machine completely shuts off. Then press & hold the F2 key. Then turn the machine back on while still holding the F2 key. Jack E/NJ
    Thank you. But it didn't help me. I still see only black screen with lock and "secure boot fail" inscription. But I can launch laptop using F12 and boot usb flash drive. Any ideas? I found
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/534756/cant-get-into-bios-after-linux-install-attempt/p1
    but 
    RigacciOrg don't answer to my request. I try to ask help me acer support, but they said that acer don't support linux only windows. What can I do? Do I must buy windows for anybody help me?
  • JackE
    Is the bootable flash drive Linux or Win10? If Linux we can probably use Gparted clean up or rebuild the partitions that were deleted. If Win10, we can use diskpart. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sergiy

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Is the bootable flash drive Linux or Win10? If Linux we can probably use Gparted clean up or rebuild the partitions that were deleted. If Win10, we can use diskpart. Jack E/NJ
    Thank you JackE, but i have no any example of deleted partition and I don't know what rebuild. I don't know what to do. Can you give me some link to partitions that contain boot files for this acer laptop? 
  • JackE
    You said >>> But I can launch laptop using F12 and boot usb flash drive. Any ideas?>>>

Can you still do this? If yes, is it a Linux or Win10 stick? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sergiy

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    You said >>> But I can launch laptop using F12 and boot usb flash drive. Any ideas?>>>

Can you still do this? If yes, is it a Linux or Win10 stick? Jack E/NJ
    Yes, I can launch laptop with Linux stick using F12.
  • JackE
    What interface do you boot into, terminal or gui? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    You might want to search this forum or Google for "Linux Apollo Lake".
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • sergiy

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    What interface do you boot into, terminal or gui? Jack E/NJ
    GUI
  • JackE
    Can you run "sudo gparted" without the quotes from the command prompt terminal? If yes, what do you see? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sergiy

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Can you run "sudo gparted" without the quotes from the command prompt terminal? If yes, what do you see? Jack E/NJ
    I see program gparted and partitons /dev/mmcblk0p1 efi system partitions fat32, and /dev/mmcblk0p2 ext4.
  • JackE
    What size is each partition? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sergiy

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    What size is each partition? Jack E/NJ
    1st - efi 512 Mb, 2nd - 28.62 Gb, 3rd - unallocatded 1 Mb.
  • JackE
    There probably should be a Mint swap partition. When you right click on the unallocated space, what options are available? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sergiy

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    There probably should be a Mint swap partition. When you right click on the unallocated space, what options are available? Jack E/NJ
    No. Now it's not mint. I installed after ubuntu 17.10. Unlocated space is not swap. I don't know why installation program left it unused. I can create new partition only on unallocated space.
  • JackE
    @sergiy >>>Now it's not mint. I installed after ubuntu 17.10.>>>

Now I'm confused. (1) What stick are you booting from now? (2) Is it an installation stick? (3) If not, what installation sticks do you have?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sergiy

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    @sergiy >>>Now it's not mint. I installed after ubuntu 17.10.>>>

Now I'm confused. (1) What stick are you booting from now? (2) Is it an installation stick? (3) If not, what installation sticks do you have?  Jack E/NJ
    Now I am booting from ubuntu 17.10  installation stick. I can launch laptop from other linux stick for instance mint.