Can't get into BIOS after Linux install attempt

goirad
goirad Member Posts: 7 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives

I bought an Acer Aspire 1 model A114-31-C4HH and I immediately wiped windows off it because I wanted Xubuntu on there and it only has a 32gig hard drive. Everything was fine, I booted into a live USB and got it installing but it got stuck several times and several times I reset it. No problems yet, but the last time it got the farthest yet, it said it was installing grub but was stuck there for over an hour, so I reset it with the idea of disabling secure boot, but now I cannot get into the bios. Pressing F2 presents me with a black screen with only a non blinking white cursor "_" on the top left. If I don't press F2 I get instead a splash screen with the message secure boot fail. Previously after a failed install it would just say no bootable device found.

I have already tried opening it up and disconnecting both the battery and the button cell battery, but I still get the same problem. Any help would be appreciated.

I should also note that windows worked fine while it was still there, and the Xubuntu live USB worked flawlessly, recognizing the wifi adapter and even the Bluetooth module.

I called Acer tech support and they suggested I buy a windows USB to repair the system. It seems they couldn't understand that without access to the bios I can't change the boot order for it to boot from a usb stick. They even said that because of the linux install there is no bios left on the machine, which seems completely wrong so I don't think they'll be much help.

I'm racking my brain trying to think of what might be wrong. I think it still has a working non corrupt bios because it recognized that there is a bootable drive and that it failed security boot. So I'm thinking there is something stopping it from displaying the bios menu. I don't think it's a display issue because it shows the Acer splash fine, and also the secure boot fail message shows up perfectly. So there must be something else leaving me with a solid white cursor.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    Press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds till the machine completely powers down. Then start tapping the F2 key. Then press the power button to turn the machine back on while still tapping F2. Keep tapping away on F2 till something good happens like the BIOS menu. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• goirad
    JackE said:
    Press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds till the machine completely powers down. Then start tapping the F2 key. Then press the power button to turn the machine back on while still tapping F2. Keep tapping away on F2 till something good happens like the BIOS menu. Jack E/NJ 
    That is exactly the problem, pressing F2 to get the bios to appear only results in a black, but on screen with only a non blinking underscore in the top left. If I could access the bios I could probably fix the rest. 
  • JackE

>>>I have already tried opening it up and disconnecting both the battery and the button cell battery,

It doesn't sound like the power is being completely shut off. If you haven't tried to do so already, disconnect the main battery again as well as the power plug. Start tapping away at the F2 key again. Insert the power plug. Then the power button to turn it back on while tapping away at F2 without the main battery.  Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    if you can't disconnect the main battery, try a battery reset:
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset

once done, power it up and try to enter BIOS.
    as last resort (even if you can't choose the USB flash drive as bootable device), you can create a windows 10 USB installation media and see if it's able to boot automatically, if so, do a basic windows 10 installation and then update the BIOS to latest version:
    https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.09_A_A.zip?acerid=636452960560518795&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE A114-31&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

1) download a windows 10 iso using Microsof tool:
    select the proper windows 10 version (the same installed on your laptop) and choose to save it as iso file when prompted
    2) download Rufus:
    plug your USB flash drive, run Rufus then:
    select ISO image from the dropdown menu near "Create a bootable disk"
    click on the little icon on the right and browse to the windows 10 downloaded iso file
    as  Partitions scheme select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI"
    as File system select "FAT32"
    click on Start
    wait until it finish, then uplug your USB flash drive
    3) backup all your personal data
    4) Reboot to BIOS, pressing F2 at boot, then press F9 to load default and F10 to save and exit
    5) plug your USB flash drive and at boot press F12 (if F12 doesn't work, see if it auto-recognise the USB flash drive or press F2 to enter BIOS and enable F12 boot menu under BOOT tab), choose the USB flash drive as bootable device
    6) once at language/keyboard selection, press shift+F10, a command prompt will open
    7) type
    Diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x (x is the number of your HDD)
    clean all
    exit
    exit again to close command prompt
    8) proceed with windows 10 installation
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JackE

Or, if you just got the machine and all else fails, return it to the vendor as defective for an exchange or refund. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    If he had a regular HDD or SSD, it would probably be just a simple matter of disconnecting the HDD/SSD to regain access to UEFI.  But I think he has soldered 32 GB MMC.  Not so simple.
  • goirad

JackE said:

>>>I have already tried opening it up and disconnecting both the battery and the button cell battery,

It doesn't sound like the power is being completely shut off. If you haven't tried to do so already, disconnect the main battery again as well as the power plug. Start tapping away at the F2 key again. Insert the power plug. Then the power button to turn it back on while tapping away at F2 without the main battery.  Jack E/NJ   

Same result. 

IronFly said:
    - a bunch of stuff -
    I tried both using the battery reset and disconnecting the battery, neither helped.

I also have a windows usb that is succesfully recognized by another computer as a bootable device with windows on it. Starting the computer with that usb in any of the usb ports results in secure boot fail, which makes me think its still trying to boot from the on board emmc drive.

JackE I can't return it, the computer was fine until I messed with it.

And JordanB I think you're right, if I could disable that drive somehow I might be able to get it to boot off the usb, but I don't think I could do that short of something crazy like desoldering it.

Maybe there's an off chance that there is something like a bios update or something like that I could use that the computer knows to boot to, but I have no idea where to even look for something like that.
  • JordanB
    edited December 2017
    I'll give you a suggestion that I think has about a 1 percent chance of working.  Someone else on this forum got blocked by secure boot, but they were somehow able to get an external USB DVD to boot.  But I think their situation was different so I don't think it will work for you.  But if you have an external USB/DVD drive, it wouldn't hurt to try.  I think you are right.  I think it's blocking 32 GB MMC and has you locked out.

They created a DVD with Windows 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

• JackE

>>>JackE I can't return it, the computer was fine until I messed with it.>>>

Did you hit it with a hammer? Did you drop it? I don't think you even tried to flash the bios firmware yet. IMO, the machine shouldn't be acting this way with what you've done so far. If it was mine, I'd surely return it to the vendor. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• goirad
    JordanB I don't own a usb DVD reader, so I think I'm gonna go with JackE's suggestion and try and return it. Now I'm just curious if that solid white cursor instead of a BIOS menu is indicative of an internal malfunction, or if it is secure boot's doing.
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    goirad said:

I also have a windows usb that is succesfully recognized by another computer as a bootable device with windows on it. Starting the computer with that usb in any of the usb ports results in secure boot fail, which makes me think its still trying to boot from the on board emmc drive.

the other computer has UEFI too?

at this point, i would contact Acer support service for a warranty repair.
  • goirad
    The other computer definitely has UEFI, although now that I think of it I'm not sure if this netbook had BIOS or UEFI. It didn't have the new fancy style of UEFI but I know UEFI can look like an old BIOS so I don't know. I'm talking to amazon support in a last ditch effort before returning it.
  • JordanB
    @goirud
    Some Acer models that come pre-installed with Windows 10 run Linux perfectly.  But some don't.  My advice is to check Ubuntu forum or Mint forum before your purchase to find right model.
  • goirad
    Amazon offered me a replacement and I took it, so that's the end of this issue. It's a shame we never figured out what the problem was for the next guy, but all's well that ends well. Thanks for you help everyone
  • JordanB
    edited December 2017
    ok good deal.  Make sure you enable the F12 boot menu right off the bat.  ;)  And don't disable secure boot and don't put in legacy mode.  Most Acer laptops run linux fine with EFI installation and secure boot enabled.  You can check the Linux section of this forum for instructions on how to install Linux as EFI with secure boot enabled.  There's a couple steps involved (setting a supervisor password and adding Grub to the trusted secure boot settings).  However, I'm not familiar with your model, and it's possible the standard installation procedure doesn't work on your model. 

Disabling secure boot and/or enabling legacy mode causes a lot of grief on this forum and is the source of many problems on this forum.
  • goirad
    I'll look into it JordanB. How come disabling secure boot causes so much grief?
  • JordanB
    edited December 2017
    @goirad

Disabling secure boot alone usually isn't too much of problem.  But enabling legacy mode can end up in a lot of user error.  

I have an Acer laptop with Windows 8.1 installed and Ubuntu as dual boot.  I have never disabled secure boot.  I have never put in legacy mode. 

I think 99.9 percent of users will have no reason to disable secure boot or enable legacy mode as the product is sold as a Windows 10 machine. 

If disabling secure boot gave you problems before, I don't think I would do it again.  Make sure you have latest BIOS.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers
  • JordanB
    edited December 2017
    @goirad
    This is how you install Ubuntu, for example, on most Acer laptops.  I don't know if it works on Apollo Lake laptops.

1. make sure you have the latest BIOS
    2. Create installation media with rufus
    https://rufus.akeo.ie/
    3.  Go in to BIOS settings and set a supervisor password and enable the F12 boot menu and make sure secure boot is enabled and then save/exit.
    4. Go back in to BIOS settings.  Insert your Ubuntu USB media.  Add Grub to the trusted secure boot settings. And save/exit
    5.  Boot your Ubuntu USB by tapping the F12 key at Acer boot logo screen.

• RigacciOrg
    RigacciOrg Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited February 2018
    I had the very same problem, with an Acer Aspire A114-31-C0HR, installing Debian GNU/Linux Stretch 9. The installation was actualy a restore from another installation, booting from an USB live.
    The first problem was on running efibootmgr during the grub-install phase: a kernel call-trace reveal that "efibootmgr" cannot run well. After several manual tries, I found that adding the "--removable" option to efibootmgr allow something to install. In fact now the notebook is able to boot in Linux. Unfortunately the F2 on boot will bring just the black screen and a solid cursor in the top-left corner.
    I asked support to Acer, but no answers till now.
    I'm in a very bad situation, because I can boot only from the SSD (Linux), but if something goes wrong, no BIOS, no alternative boot (F12 boot option was not enabled), no way to firmware upgrade.
    It seems that the ACER BIOS has some bug, which prevents to start the user interface if EFI stuff are in some particular state. Very bad.

• JackE
    @RigacciOrg   Have you tried to start tapping the F2 key ***immediately*** after pressing the power button but ***BEFORE*** the ACER logo screen appears? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ