Acer Aspire VX-15 screen flickering (need solutions)

Options
nogard
nogard Member Posts: 2 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Greetings community.
So I decided to buy Acer due to my previous Acer experience, never had issues except ONE, and that was my own doing. Left my old Extenza to download and seed for over a month without shutting it down. BUT after 6 years old laptop is still alive and kicking well-ish.
But it was time for an upgrade and I went with Acer for a choice once again, and so far it did not disappoint me until recently. I have had this laptop for about almost a year and only now this happens. After long gaming, my screen starts flickering like you see in sci-fi movies when someone hacks your computer and it all goes crazy and screen seems as if it has cable badly connected. I haven't open my laptop yet, despite having experience with it, as it still might be under warranty, and I have no way of knowing whether it has or not some hidden seal for "warranty void". I'm quite certain it's has something to do with laptop getting hot and something seems to interfere with the cable connection and the screen starts to flicker and occasionally goes like an old TV "no-channel"/"ant screen", image starts to blur out and vanishes into the void and keeps blinking and acting all up. My question and concern is, am I wrong about my thought? Is it fixable? I have already updated all the drivers even though i'm sure that's not an issue, did it because some guides had it for flickering screen solutions. Acer chat doesn't seem to work even though I tried it at 1.38 CST time.
So, any advise/suggestion/thoughts would be appreciated as I can only play any game for about 1-2 hours before screen goes nuts, outside gaming, browsing internet and so on, works fine, but when my laptop starts heating up, screen is on the move.

Comments

• nogard
    nogard Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    philetus said:
    That doesn't answer my question about screen flickering.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,547 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>so far it did not disappoint me until recently. I have had this laptop for about almost a year and only now this happens. After long gaming>>>

So, have you been "long gaming" before for almost a year with no issues until now? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• siny79
    siny79 Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    edited January 2018
    Options
    nogard said:
    Greetings community.
    So I decided to buy Acer due to my previous Acer experience, never had issues except ONE, and that was my own doing. Left my old Extenza to download and seed for over a month without shutting it down. BUT after 6 years old laptop is still alive and kicking well-ish.
    But it was time for an upgrade and I went with Acer for a choice once again, and so far it did not disappoint me until recently. I have had this laptop for about almost a year and only now this happens. After long gaming, my screen starts flickering like you see in sci-fi movies when someone hacks your computer and it all goes crazy and screen seems as if it has cable badly connected. I haven't open my laptop yet, despite having experience with it, as it still might be under warranty, and I have no way of knowing whether it has or not some hidden seal for "warranty void". I'm quite certain it's has something to do with laptop getting hot and something seems to interfere with the cable connection and the screen starts to flicker and occasionally goes like an old TV "no-channel"/"ant screen", image starts to blur out and vanishes into the void and keeps blinking and acting all up. My question and concern is, am I wrong about my thought? Is it fixable? I have already updated all the drivers even though i'm sure that's not an issue, did it because some guides had it for flickering screen solutions. Acer chat doesn't seem to work even though I tried it at 1.38 CST time.
    So, any advise/suggestion/thoughts would be appreciated as I can only play any game for about 1-2 hours before screen goes nuts, outside gaming, browsing internet and so on, works fine, but when my laptop starts heating up, screen is on the move.

I'm experiencing same thing since few days. I don't think it's connected to You playing heavily, since it happens to me and I'm barely utilizing either cpu or gpu. Actually I just stressed my laptop (to get it hot) and the screen didn't flicker even once. I think it could have something to do with recent updates. I'm pretty sure my flickering problem started just after one big update, which by the way was going on in the background. Few days ago I realized that fans were working almost full speed with no reason (I wasn't doing anything with it at that moment, it was just desktop and possibly chrome). I checked running processes and found out that TiWorker was working heavily in the background. After that, screen flashing thing started. I since tried to install new drivers for both graphic cards, uninstall them, use the default drivers from acer's website but nothing helped.

Interesting thing... I just tried to mess with the night mode (the windows one, not f.lux or anything) and realized that the screen is going crazy very fast after I turn it on. Try if it's the same for You. Turn the night mode on and set it all the way to the "reddish" zone. And wait for a while. What usually happens to me is... when the screen starts to get messy/flashy/etc. it's kind of responding to how much white there is on the desktop at that moment. For example, if the flickering starts (gently) and I open chrome (almost whole screen is white then) it gets waaaay worse. But if I close it, it stops flickering immediately (there's a dark wallpaper on my desktop). It's also responding to how much "reddish" the setting is. When I put it all the way to the "red zone" it goes crazy, but if I just move the slider back to the "white zone" (less nighty mode) and the flickering stops. It's really weird. If You find that Your screen is reacting this way too and it's to messy to even switch the night mode off (artifacts, crazy flickering and all that) You can put the laptop into sleep mode Fn+F4 and come back to windows. Works for me anyway.

To tell You the truth, I hope it's the screen itself. I was planning to replace it with another one anyway (mine - BOE N42 - has ***** color reproduction). Cause if the flashing/flickering is caused by some small element in one of the updates it may take a loooooong time before someone find a cure.
  • JackE
    Options
    siny79>>>I think it could have something to do with recent updates.>>>if>>>caused by>>>one of the updates it may take a loooooong time before someone find a cure.

Thanks for the input. I tend to agree cuz it relates to the reason I asked the OP the question. The cure might be a reset to factory default Win10 version or a possible driver rollback after the next Win10 version auto-installs and messes things up again. Jack E/Nj

Jack E/NJ

• siny79
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Unfortunately I realized that it's not only Windows.  :/ I entered bios to check if flashing occurs there as well and... it does. It's not as dramatic as while in Windows (artifacts, vertical lines, crazy fast flashing/flickering, etc.) - just few random flashes (screen going black and back again) but still. So I guess the only explanation would be a faulty panel, right? I took off the panel frame to check connection but everything seemed fine there.
  • JackE
    Options
    siny79>>>I entered bios to check if flashing occurs there as well and... it does.>>>

What is your full ACER model & number? What is the BIOS version number now? Do you recall the previous BIOS version number? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• siny79
    Options
    JackE said:
    siny79>>>I entered bios to check if flashing occurs there as well and... it does.>>>

What is your full ACER model & number? What is the BIOS version number now? Do you recall the previous BIOS version number? Jack E/NJ

Hey there. Bios version is 1.06 (latest). Unfortunately I don't remember previous one (I bought the laptop in august). The bios definitely wasn't very old... but I'm also pretty sure I skipped at least one, maybe to versions while updating (I updated bios right away and didn't have flickering problem for months since then, so it wasn't the cause I assume).

Funny thing is, I don't have that flickering problem anymore (since few days now, yay - hope it's permanent). Bad thing though... I don't know what the cure was. I only know that two things happened for sure: 1) there was quite big windows update (KB4058258), 2) I opened laptop to see if there's any problem with connection mb->screen (and for the time I was messing around the interior I disconnected the battery). I'm guessing one of those things helped  Also, after all that I did a battery reset (by the book), but then again - I did that before (and it didn't help with the flickering) and since i disconnected the battery for good few minutes this time I guess reset didn't really do much a difference (or did it?).

Anyways... I'm still keeping my fingers crossed hoping the flickering won't come back, but it was few days now without even one flicker so I'm pretty stoked 

Thanks for Your help, JackE!

P.S. Model number is VX5-591G-7090. Cheers!
  • JackE
    Options
    Yeah, too many things going on to nail down the solution. Not the least of which are those pesky Win10 updates. All I can suggest is the next time it acts up, check Control Panel for an auto update "restore point" with a date stamp that coincides with the flickering. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ダージリン様
    ダージリン様 Member Posts: 88 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    siny79 said:
    JackE said:

Hey there. Bios version is 1.06 (latest). Unfortunately I don't remember previous one (I bought the laptop in august). The bios definitely wasn't very old... but I'm also pretty sure I skipped at least one, maybe to versions while updating (I updated bios right away and didn't have flickering problem for months since then, so it wasn't the cause I assume).

Funny thing is, I don't have that flickering problem anymore (since few days now, yay - hope it's permanent). Bad thing though... I don't know what the cure was. I only know that two things happened for sure: 1) there was quite big windows update (KB4058258), 2) I opened laptop to see if there's any problem with connection mb->screen (and for the time I was messing around the interior I disconnected the battery). I'm guessing one of those things helped  Also, after all that I did a battery reset (by the book), but then again - I did that before (and it didn't help with the flickering) and since i disconnected the battery for good few minutes this time I guess reset didn't really do much a difference (or did it?).

Anyways... I'm still keeping my fingers crossed hoping the flickering won't come back, but it was few days now without even one flicker so I'm pretty stoked 

Thanks for Your help, JackE!

P.S. Model number is VX5-591G-7090. Cheers!
    I experienced the same problem for last few month
    What is ur windows build that you're using right now? What version of intel Hd and nvidia drivers are you using?

• Basquests
    Basquests Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    I have the same problem, from another of my posts:

Looking at the Amazon 'critical' reviews, I see around 15~ people have referenced the exact same flicker problem as me [either heavily liking or posting a review on the flicker on amazon usa]. I don't know if this changes anything, but surely this is something acer should be looking at [putting a product with a common huge fault that rears its head in a lot of users].

"UPDATE: 8/2/17 LAPTOP SCREEN FLICKERS ALL THE TIME WHEN NOT CONNECTED TO A TV VIA HDMI. BARELY USABLE WITHOUT A SECOND DISPLAY. IS THERE A WAY TO GET A REPLACEMENT IF I DIDN'T PURCHASE WARRANTY. SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THIS MODEL SINCE OTHER USERS HAVE COMPLAINT ABOUT THIS AS WELL"

" enjoy this computer but it came with a problem. The screen flickers like crazy when its moved. I have taken this to Acer In South Korea "serivce but they were unable to fix it for me since the warrenty was in America"

"Having the same screen flicker issue that others have posted about. It's a great laptop when it is working, but several times a week the screen will start to flicker then become completely illegible. Rebooting sometimes fixes it but not always."

"I have had this laptop for less then a year and I have now been hit with the screen flicker problem that seems to be very common here with others that have purchased this same laptop."

"the screen started flickering in some hinge positions (likely a bad connection on the cable). I live in Japan and it was such a mess to receive the laptop at first that I really don't want to risk sending it back, I doubt I have a warranty here anyway."

"The display will flicker significantly when I go to open the laptop or tilt the screen in any way."
  • JackE
    Options
    @Basquests  Try HDMIing out to a TV screen when the LCD flickers. If the TV screen is OK but the LCD still flickers, then it strongly suggests a bad LCD flex ribbon cable or its connectors to and from the mainboard need to be re-seated and tightened. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ダージリン様
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I have the similliar problem, the flickers only happens after I Play some games, 
    here an example video :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQAVfJcyI0A 

so I thought the cable problem
    I Already replaced the flex cable 2 times (but no difference)
    then I saw that the flex cable placed on the heatsink..
    is it make any sense? about my flicker problem
    (anyway im using win 10 build 1709 (16299.309) with latest intel hd driver and the Nvidia)
  • JackE
    Options
    @ダージリン様    If you HDMI out to a TV, does the flicker still occur on the TV screen? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options
    >>>I think , No it doesn't, >>>If I uninstalled the IntelHD driver the glitch is gone.>>>

What do you mean by this? Is the flicker gone or not gone after uninstalling this driver? Is it still intermittent? If the flicker comes and goes. but not on the HDMI TV screen, then there's still an issue with the flex cable receptacles on the LCD inverter board and/or the mainboard. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ダージリン様
    Options
    JackE said:
    >>>I think , No it doesn't, >>>If I uninstalled the IntelHD driver the glitch is gone.>>>

What do you mean by this? Is the flicker gone or not gone after uninstalling this driver? Is it still intermittent? If the flicker comes and goes. but not on the HDMI TV screen, then there's still an issue with the flex cable receptacles on the LCD inverter board and/or the mainboard. Jack E/NJ

the flicker gone when I uninstalled the intel HD Driver.
  • JackE
    Options
    So is uninstalling the Intel HD driver the solution to the flickering problem? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ダージリン様
    Options
    JackE said:
    So is uninstalling the Intel HD driver the solution to the flickering problem? Jack E/NJ
    yeah, the flicker's gone
  • ダージリン様
    Options

just wanted to inform that this intel HD driver version solved my problem after a long time of testing.
    but im still hoping that acer will provide any fix about this problem ,  so i can use the latest intel HD driver. :(