Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Which SSD drive do I purchase to upgrade my Spin 5 sp513-52n-552k to 1TB from 256GB?

GuyInSoCalGuyInSoCal Posts: 4Member New User
I purchased a Spin 5. Model is sp513-52n-552k. Which SSD drive do I purchase to upgrade it from the existing 256GB to 1 TB?
If I clone the new SSD drive to the old SSD drive, is it as simple swapping the new drive for the old drive?

Best Answers

• IvyliIvyli Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited March 2018 Accepted Answer
    you can buy Crucial MX500 Internal SSD. it's compatible with the spin513-52 system. and it offers 500gb SSD, 1tb SSD, 2tb SSD. 
    if you want to use the new SSD as the boot drive, you need to clone 256gb SSD to 1tb SSD, switch out the 256gb SSD, set boot priority to the 1tb SSD and boot from it. after you successfully boot from 1tb SSD, you can choose to keep the 256gb SSD or uninstall it completely.
  • JackEJackE Posts: 16,681 Trailblazer
    Accepted Answer
    You can use either the m.2 SATA or faster m.2 PCIe/nVME card but the system may be limited to SATA speeds. Jack E/NJ

FAQ & Answers

• IvyliIvyli Posts: 14Member

Tinkerer

edited March 2018 Accepted Answer
    you can buy Crucial MX500 Internal SSD. it's compatible with the spin513-52 system. and it offers 500gb SSD, 1tb SSD, 2tb SSD. 
    if you want to use the new SSD as the boot drive, you need to clone 256gb SSD to 1tb SSD, switch out the 256gb SSD, set boot priority to the 1tb SSD and boot from it. after you successfully boot from 1tb SSD, you can choose to keep the 256gb SSD or uninstall it completely.
  • GuyInSoCalGuyInSoCal Posts: 4Member New User
    Thank you for this great information. I appreciate your time. 
    edited March 2018
    If I want to use an m.2 SSD, what type would I purchase? It currently has a 256 GB m.2 SSD.
  • JackEJackE Posts: 16,681ACE Trailblazer
    Why can't the 256GB m.2 that's currently in the slot be used? Jack E/NJ
    JackE,
    I want to change it to a 1TB m.2 SSD, but I see there are several different types. I’m not sure which m.2 SSD type is correct to replace the current 256GB m.2 SSD with a 1TB m.2 SSD. I should have restated this when I asked the question. 
    Accepted Answer
    You can use either the m.2 SATA or faster m.2 PCIe/nVME card but the system may be limited to SATA speeds. Jack E/NJ
  • yellowdustyellowdust Posts: 4Member New User
    Have you done the upgrade to 1 TB? If yes, which SSDs have you used/tried? I'd also like to upgrade mine (SP513-52N-53Y6) to a 1 TB SSD, ideally an NVMe one.

Thanks!
    @yellowdust ; m.2 NVMes can still be considered bleeding edge with more quirks at higher prices than m.2 SATAs. But if ya gotta have it, ya gotta pay and take yer chances =)  Jack E/NJ
  • yellowdustyellowdust Posts: 4Member New User
    Thanks!

I went ahead and tried, Samsung EVO 960 1 TB (MZ-V6E1T0BW), which is M.2 PCIe NVMe works. For some details see: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/570332/#Comment_570332
    @yellowdust Thanks for the report. Some folks haven't been as successful with that NVMe working correctly in a 2280 slot. Jack E/NJ