How to power-on Swift 3 Ryzen motherboard without attached keyboard?

Options
blap
blap Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I'm a big fan of the AMD Ryzen 2500u in the Acer Swift 3.  Unfortunately the keyboard is usuabe for me because it has no travel - one might as well type on a piece of glass.  (oh, most of you do)

Anyway, I have the motherboard working nicely outside the case, just need a way to turn it on without using the acer keyboard's 'power on' button.
Passive cooling is working nicely also  http://files.catbox.moe/116mj1.jpg

Please tell me how to power-on the 2500u motherboard without attaching the whole acer keyboard.

Best Answer

• blap
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Nope, no such setting.  Turns out there are two ways.

1) Remove battery, disconnect AC power, pull CMOS battery.  Reconnect CMOS battery.  Reconnect power and mobo will boot to the windows partition.   This seems to work with many laptop boards.  It's not a solution for me because I need to preserve BIOS settings.

2) Pull pin 1 of the keyboard connector to ground briefly, and you simulate pressing the power button.

Have a great day everyone!
    padgett said:
    I do not have a Swift so cannot check but wonder if there is a BIOS setting for power-on restart. That way it would boot automagically when you turn the power on. I have a CB3 with a similar power button that boots when AC power is applied.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,528 Trailblazer
    Options
    @blep >>>motherboard working nicely outside the case, just need a way to turn it on>>>

Mmmm? This seems like an oxymoron. How does it work nicely if it's not turned on? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Ecip
    Ecip Member Posts: 84 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    LoL what the.... why not save the money and just get a desktop motherboard, add a CPU, and go from there? What's even the point of this?
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options
    I do not have a Swift so cannot check but wonder if there is a BIOS setting for power-on restart. That way it would boot automagically when you turn the power on. I have a CB3 with a similar power button that boots when AC power is applied.
  • blap
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Nope, no such setting.  Turns out there are two ways.

1) Remove battery, disconnect AC power, pull CMOS battery.  Reconnect CMOS battery.  Reconnect power and mobo will boot to the windows partition.   This seems to work with many laptop boards.  It's not a solution for me because I need to preserve BIOS settings.

2) Pull pin 1 of the keyboard connector to ground briefly, and you simulate pressing the power button.

Have a great day everyone!
    padgett said:

• blap
    Options
    JackE said:
    @blep >>>motherboard working nicely outside the case, just need a way to turn it on>>>

Mmmm? This seems like an oxymoron. How does it work nicely if it's not turned on? Jack E/NJ
    I could power it up by attaching the Swift 3 keyboard and pressing the power button.
  • Mpegleris
    Mpegleris Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options
    I have the same laptop with ryzen and there is an option in bios to power on from external USB keyboard... Search in bios and youll find it.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,528 Trailblazer
    Options
    @Mpegleris   >>>I have the same laptop with ryzen and there is an option in bios to power on from external USB keyboard... Search in bios and youll find it. >>>

So does this mean your motherboard is also working outside of the case like @blap . Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mpegleris
    Mpegleris Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options
    JackE said:
    @Mpegleris   >>>I have the same laptop with ryzen and there is an option in bios to power on from external USB keyboard... Search in bios and youll find it. >>>

So does this mean your motherboard is also working outside of the case like @blap . Jack E/NJ

Nor to think about it :p