Predator helios G3-571 SSD UPGRADE QUESTIONS

Blazingreb
Blazingreb Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi i bought myself a predator helios and just recently bought a 250gb Samsung 850 evo 2.5” ssd. Now, when I opened my 2nd hard drive slot and to my surprise it came with a physical 1GB HDD in it. I thought it was empty and the HDD was what it came with but with an empty slot for a 2nd hard drive. Now my questions are, 1. Is that really what it came with and not with an empty slot for a 2nd drive? 2. Can i replace this with another ssd? How to transfer OS+files from HDD to SSD?

Best Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,078 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    What do you mean by that? I cannot install my new SSD because the empty bay is alreat occupied with a 1 TB HDD which was supposed to be an empty slot..

Hi,
    You should have bought a M.2 SSD because your laptop came with 1TB HDD and an empty slot for M.2 SSD.
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    It supports NVMe, I mentioned it in my previous post.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    edited February 2018
    This laptop has 1 SATA 3 port for HDD/SSD and 1 PCIe M.2 port for M.2 SSDs. As it comes with HDD from factory, that means the SATA 3 port is occupied, so you are left with the M.2 slot only.

To transfer the OS+files to the SSD from the HDD you need a PC, which you can connect both drives to and then clone the data from the HDD to SSD.

If you want to transfer the OS only, you can use windows 10's tool to create a recovery drive, which can be used to install windows on the new drive.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Blazingreb 

Some models may not have included the necessary hard drive caddy. You need to get it from Acer store.
    Please check the weblink for Hard drive installation instructions for Predator Helios 300 laptops
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46866#extended

Please create a USB recovery media before making any changes on your computer.
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38147

• Blazingreb
    What do you mean by that? I cannot install my new SSD because the empty bay is alreat occupied with a 1 TB HDD which was supposed to be an empty slot..
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,078 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hi,
    You should have bought a M.2 SSD because your laptop came with 1TB HDD and an empty slot for M.2 SSD.
  • ven98
    That is right, the only way to install the SATA SSD is to remove the HDD and install it on its place. For the 2nd SSD slot, which is free, you need a different type of SSD - M.2 SSD(this is just an example).
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Blazingreb
    Thanks for the answers guys. Btw, How do you install M.2 SSD’s? 
  • Blazingreb
    Another question, i was researching about the M.2 SSD’s and there are 2 types. NVME M.2 and SATA M.2 SSD. Which does the Helios 300 support because I saw that they have different pins..
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    It supports NVMe, I mentioned it in my previous post.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system