Is there a way to run a diagnostic on my monitor?

Options
Tweeti0
Tweeti0 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 16 in 2018 Archives

I have Windows 10 

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

Acer Monitor AL2216W

I have been back and forth with symptoms as to whether it's the card or the monitor.  I have run a diagnostic on my video card and it seems to be fine.

This is a run down of today's symptomsm which is pretty common lately when I wake up the computer in the AM.

• monitor shows orange light
  • press wake up button on computer
  • computer on, no stange sounds
  • monitor still orange
  • tap key on board...still orange
  • move mouse...still orange
  • 2x orange light goes off/on
  • 1x green flashes on/off
  • then nothing
  • then gren light, Acer flashes on screen, "no signal" then orange light
  • so I walk away for a while...sometimes it comes on after a long while, as in 15-20+ minutes
  • an hour later still orange, tap monitor power button off/on
  • green light flashes on/off, screen flashes Acer, "no signal" and then orange light
  • try the on/off button a few time (sometimes this has worked)
  • reboot the computer as this has sometimes worked (even though I don't like to do this without a proper shut down/restart)
  • so now it's on for the day

NOTE ...once the monitor is on, it stays on with no problems. ONLY twice over a month ago did the screen flash on and off once or twice while I was using it.  Never again since then.

Best Answer

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓
    Options

We don't have a diagnostic that will really help in this situation.

Honestly, I would suspect the monitor first here. The video card will generally do some other things like artifact or overheat and crash before this type of failure. Is it possible to get a monitor from a friend or family member just to test? Or, take your monitor over to a friends PC and ask him to try it.

Cory

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓
    Options

We don't have a diagnostic that will really help in this situation.

Honestly, I would suspect the monitor first here. The video card will generally do some other things like artifact or overheat and crash before this type of failure. Is it possible to get a monitor from a friend or family member just to test? Or, take your monitor over to a friends PC and ask him to try it.

Cory

• Odin
    Odin Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have the same problem with an Acer Aspire z1-612 which I suspect is due to a loose connection or corrosion on a connection. If I can work out how to get the cover off, it can checked. The only Utube video I can find is not in English.