Acer Aspire A315-21 -No options for booting USB, HDD, Network, or external devices in UEFI Boot Mode

Options
DoiSuthepCM
DoiSuthepCM Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
New Acer Aspire A315-21, InsydeH20v5.0 Setup Utility

In the setup utility I do not show any options for booting USB, HDD, Network, or external devices in UEFI Boot Mode with Secure Boot = Disabled.  I have to enter Legacy Mode in order to display a list of boot devices.  In Legacy Mode I show the following in the Boot priority order list:
HDD0
HDD1
ATAPI CDROM
USB FDD
USB CDROM
USD HDD
Network Boot

If I change to UEFI Mode, I only get one option in the Boot priority order list
1. Linux (ST1000LM035-IRk172 (This the the factory installed version on Linux installed on HDD0)

This doesn't seem right.  I have other computers that show all of the boot priority options above while in UEFI Mode.  I've also have seen screen shots of other Acer laptops running the InsydeH20 Setup Utility that also show all those option while in UEFI Mode.  So I'm confused.

So what is different with this Acer Aspire A315-21 with the InsydeH20v5.0 Setup Utility that I just purchased?  Because here is my situation:  How do you install a UEFI compliant Operating System such as a current version of Ubuntu in UEFI mode from a DVD disk from an external USB DVD/CD device when I'm forced to turn switch to Legacy Mode in order to even see external devices.  It's a problem imho, that isn't a problem on either one on my other two laptops that are set to UEFI Mode.  I have a reason to install Linux from a DVD using an external USB DVD/CD drive.  And I want to install it in UEFI mode, which would not be a problem on my other two laptop if I was attempting the same thing.
What's up here?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    have you enabled F12 key, boot menu?
    please enable it, connect your USB DVD drive with Ubuntu inside, power on your laptop and press F12
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • DoiSuthepCM
    Options
    Well, different day and different results.  How odd.  Yesterday I put a Linux Mint 17.1 DVD in the CD/DVD drive and nothing showed.  It was getting late enough that I didn't want to deal with it. 

This afternoon I've been playing with the new computer.  Installed Window 10 last night (thank goodness seeing that it took hours to download and install the updates).  So the computer was ready to play with today.  Downloaded a copy of Clonezilla and burnt it to a CD.  Booted up and went into the InsydeH20 Setup Utility and by golly their it was with UEFI enabled.  Changed to boot priority to boot to the CD/DVD first and it loaded up without an issue.  So, looks like all is well.
  • DoiSuthepCM
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Issued Solved.
  • Manisha
    Manisha Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hello, I am also not able to get the linux software from my pendrive. I have enabled f12 option... But then it is showing only windows option.... I really need usb option for studying.. please help.