Aspire ES1-512 Boot from USB - USB Boot Option Never Appears in Boot Manager

stanleymanly21
stanleymanly21 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

I'm trying to boot an Aspire ES1-512 with a Windows 10 USB stick (created with the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool) and I cannot get the device to appear in the Boot Manager selection screen. Here are the current BIOS/UEFI boot screen settings:

Aspire ES1-512 - Boot Menu

Here's what I've done so far:

• Changed "Boot Mode" to "Legacy" - no luck
  • Disabled Secure Boot - no luck
  • Swapped "USB FDD" and "USB HDD" with the USB stick plugged into different ports - no luck
  • Enabled the "F12 Boot Menu" on the Main tab on the picture so I could at least see the boot menu - no luck
  • Recreated the USB stick with Windows 10 with Rufus and these settings: Rufus - Settings for Windows 10 USB
  • Tried different USB sticks - no luck

I'm pretty stumped, I've never had this much difficulty booting a machine to USB. I haven't tried a DVD yet because I don't carry them anymore.

Here's the Acer production page for this laptop: Acer ES1-512. I restarted the computer using the Recovery capability in Windows 10 and chose to reboot and let me use another device to start the computer. It offers EFI USB DEVICE, EFI DVD/CDROM, and EFI NETWORK. When I click the first one (EFI USB DEVICE), it just displays this message:

System doesn't have any USB boot option. Please select other boot option in Boot Manager Menu.

Pressing Enter at the screen then displays the "Boot Manager" screen, which only shows one option: Windows Boot Manager.

Any ideas?

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited December 2017
    @stanleymanly21

1. Go in to your UEFI settings and load the defaults (F9) and then save/exit (F10)
    2. Go back in to your UEFI settings and enable the F12 boot menu and then save/exit (F10)
    3. Use rufus to create your Windows 10 media using the settings on the rufus home page.  Be sure to check the quick format box too.
    4.  Boot the Windows 10 USB by tapping the F12 key at the Acer post logo.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    1) download a windows 10 iso using Microsof tool:
    select the proper windows 10 version (the same installed on your laptop) and choose to save it as iso file when prompted
    2) download Rufus:
    plug your USB flash drive, run Rufus then:
    select ISO image from the dropdown menu near "Create a bootable disk"
    click on the little icon on the right and browse to the windows 10 downloaded iso file
    as  Partitions scheme select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI"
    as File system select "FAT32"
    click on Start
    wait until it finish, then uplug your USB flash drive
    3) backup all your personal data
    4) Reboot to BIOS, pressing F2 at boot, then press F9 to load default and F10 to save and exit
    5) plug your USB flash drive and at boot press F12 (if F12 doesn't work, see if it auto-recognise the USB flash drive or press F2 to enter BIOS and enable F12 boot menu under BOOT tab), choose the USB flash drive as bootable device
  • JordanB
    @stanleymanly21

If you still can't get it to work after following my or @IronFly suggestion, then possibly you need to update BIOS.

To check your current BIOS version, you can look in the BIOS settings or.....

1. Right click on the Windows Start button
    2. Click on Run
    3. Type msinfo32
    4. Click ok

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/5611?b=1
  • stanleymanly21

Tinkerer

JordanB said:
    @stanleymanly21

1. Go in to your UEFI settings and load the defaults (F9) and then save/exit (F10)
    2. Go back in to your UEFI settings and enable the F12 boot menu and then save/exit (F10)
    3. Use rufus to create your Windows 10 media using the settings on the rufus home page.  Be sure to check the quick format box too.
    4.  Boot the Windows 10 USB by tapping the F12 key at the Acer post logo.

What's the benefit of "Quick format"? I've done everything else you all have suggested including updating the BIOS from the Acer support page to latest version.
  • IronFly
    if your laptop has USB2.0 ports, please use them instead of USB3.0

when you press F12 key at boot with the USB flash drive plugged, do you have Windows boot manager only?
    no other entries?
    is windows 10  x64 version?
  • JordanB
    edited December 2017
    What is the benefit of the Quick Format?  Why don't you want to quick format it as FAT32 ?  Are you trying to preserve other files on your USB flash drive?

The photo below shows my Windows 10 USB flash drive plugged in to my USB port when I tap the F12 key to bring up the F12 boot menu.
    3.  USB HDD: USB DISK 2.0

• stanleymanly21

Tinkerer

IronFly said:
    if your laptop has USB2.0 ports, please use them instead of USB3.0

when you press F12 key at boot with the USB flash drive plugged, do you have Windows boot manager only?
    no other entries?
    is windows 10  x64 version?
    Responding to @IronFly's points:
    • if your laptop has USB2.0 ports, please use them instead of USB3.0 - I've tried using all three USB ports, some 3.0 and the rest 2.0, and I got the same result. 
    • when you press F12 key at boot with the USB flash drive plugged, do you have Windows boot manager only? no other entries? Yes, when I press F12 the "Windows boot manager" is the only available option, there are no other entries.
    • is windows 10  x64 version? - yes, it's Windows 10 x64
  • stanleymanly21

Tinkerer

edited December 2017
    JordanB said:
    What is the benefit of the Quick Format?  Why don't you want to quick format it as FAT32 ?  Are you trying to preserve other files on your USB flash drive?

The photo below shows my Windows 10 USB flash drive plugged in to my USB port when I tap the F12 key to bring up the F12 boot menu.
    3.  USB HDD: USB DISK 2.0

<picture removed>
    Responding to @JordanB: I don't know the benefits of quick format over regular formatting, however I did format the USB stick with FAT32 and it presents the same result as formatting with NTFS. I am not trying to preserve other files on the thumbdrive. The only option I see in my Boot manager is the "Windows boot manager" option, option 1 in your screenshot. There is nothing else for me to choose.
  • JordanB
    @stanleymanly21

What happens when you create a USB recovery drive with Acer Recovery Management software or Microsoft's builtin software?
    Can you create it?
    Can you boot it?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026852/windows-create-a-recovery-drive

https://uk.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26226/~/creating-a-usb-recovery-drive-with-acer-erecovery-management

• IronFly
    is your BIOS 1.15 version?
  • stanleymanly21

Tinkerer

@JordanB Both of those require a USB drive to work. I can't get Windows to recognize the ports either.

• stanleymanly21

Tinkerer

IronFly said:
    is your BIOS 1.15 version?
    Yes, it is.
  • JordanB
    edited December 2017
    @stanleymanly21

Ok. It makes sense now.  You were creating the Windows 10 media on different PC.  @IronFly might have some suggestions on how to get your USB ports working again.

I recently messed up my USB ports and HDMI port on my Acer laptop.  Please don't ask what I did to kill them, as I'd rather not admit to it on it public forum (but it wasn't real bright on my part).  To fix everything, I did a battery reset.  On some Acer models, there's a little pinhole to reset.  Some models don't have a pinhole so you have to remove or disconnect the battery.

Wait for @IronFly to give suggestions before taking your laptop apart. If you have any more info on when the USB ports were last working, please share.

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQMYtUZVuao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOuoEchsrNc
  • IronFly
    Apart trying a battery reset, as mentioned by @JordanB, i don't have other ideas.

If they don't come alive, there is, probably, an hardware issue.

If you are under warranty call Acer support service.

If you want to double check the USB ports, you can create a live lubuntu CD, boot from it and check if it recognises the ports.
  • stanleymanly21

Tinkerer

I really appreciate your help. I was helping someone else with their laptop and ultimately had to return it because they needed it before Christmas break. I'll forward this post to them.
  • Sidodz
    Sidodz Member Posts: 1 New User

I'm trying to boot an Aspire ES1-512 with a Windows 10 USB stick (created with the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool) and I cannot get the device to appear in the Boot Manager selection screen. Here are the current BIOS/UEFI boot screen settings:

Aspire ES1-512 - Boot Menu

Here's what I've done so far:

• Changed "Boot Mode" to "Legacy" - no luck
    • Disabled Secure Boot - no luck
    • Swapped "USB FDD" and "USB HDD" with the USB stick plugged into different ports - no luck
    • Enabled the "F12 Boot Menu" on the Main tab on the picture so I could at least see the boot menu - no luck
    • Recreated the USB stick with Windows 10 with Rufus and these settings: Rufus - Settings for Windows 10 USB
    • Tried different USB sticks - no luck

I'm pretty stumped, I've never had this much difficulty booting a machine to USB. I haven't tried a DVD yet because I don't carry them anymore.

Here's the Acer production page for this laptop: Acer ES1-512. I restarted the computer using the Recovery capability in Windows 10 and chose to reboot and let me use another device to start the computer. It offers EFI USB DEVICE, EFI DVD/CDROM, and EFI NETWORK. When I click the first one (EFI USB DEVICE), it just displays this message:

System doesn't have any USB boot option. Please select other boot option in Boot Manager Menu.

Pressing Enter at the screen then displays the "Boot Manager" screen, which only shows one option: Windows Boot Manager.

Any ideas?

I had your same problem , just change frem legacy to uefi after you disable secure boot
  • JAMIEMO
    JAMIEMO Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi, i have the same problem. i recently updated my windows 10 to windows 10 2004 and my HDMI  stopped working. i am trying to reinstall my windows 10, a complete fresh install. the laptop doesn't have a dvd drive so i need to do it using a bootable usb. the problem is that i cannot boot with the usb, exactly the same problems as described above. i cannot change the secure boot option. has anyone been able to solve this problem ?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Some BIOSes require you set a password before they allow you to disable Secure Boot.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JAMIEMO
    JAMIEMO Member Posts: 2 New User

I have windows 10 on my computer, at this last update to windows 10 2004, the HDMI port stopped work.

I want to do a clean installation of windows 10 again.

my laptop doesn’t have a dvd drive and it will not boot from the usb.

in the bios I cannot change the secure boot function, to disable it. my bios version is 1.06

if I need to update the bios, how do I do it, what software do I need to use to perform the update ?

please help me.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    @JAMIEMO you should probably start your own thread for this. What computer do you have? When you set the supervisor password in the BIOS the option to change Secure Boot didn't appear? Have you checked for updated drivers for the video?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.