x223w monitor display is stretched after Windows 10 update

Options
Jim9988
Jim9988 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
After recent Windows 10 updates, my x223w monitor display is stretched horizontally.  None of the resolution options offered in display settings match the x223w's native resolution of 1680x1050.  I cannot find a x223w Windows 10 driver on the acer site.  Is the x223w monitor no longer supported?  Can this be fixed or should I just buy a new monitor?

Answers

• vijaymohanraj
    vijaymohanraj Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    @Jim9988
    this is driver issue, this can be fixed easily, uninstall and re-install your display drivers
  • Jim9988
    Options
    Thanks, but no luck.  I uninstalled and re-installed my x223w monitor but this did not fix the problem. According to Adapter Properties, I am using the Microsoft Basic Display Driver, which does not offer a resolution that matches the native resolution of the x223w.  I could not find a Windows 10 x223w driver on the Acer site which is why I asked about needing a new monitor.  Any suggestions are welcome.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @Jim9988

What's your computer model?
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Jim9988
    Options
    It was built from components several years ago.  It has a 64 bit operating system with an AMD Phenom II processor.  Display was fine until last week - never had a problem before this with Windows updates.
  • JordanB
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Honestly, I think the problem is with your computer.  It's not normal to only have the Microsoft Basic Display driver.   I would probably check the AMD forum or the Microsoft forum.

Would it be possible for you to connect your x223w to a different computer......maybe a neighbor or a friend has one?  That's what I'd do.  See what happens.
  • stelex
    stelex Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    i'm having the exact same problem with same monitor... my graphics card is ati radeon r7 370, and i tried uninstalling and reinstalling both monitor and display adapter drivers, but nothing works... and device manager sees the monitor as "generic non-pnp monitor"... any suggestions?
  • stelex
    Options
    i didn't try unplugging it... well i did, just now, and it didn't work
    and i already had the drivers installed, but windows just won't let me choose any resolution higher than 1600x1200
  • JordanB
    Options
    @stelex

Apparently other users have reported the same issue due to Windows 10 Fall Creator.  I would ask Microsoft.  You might be able to check Reddit too.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/7756m6/creators_fall_update_resolution_problem/

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-fall-creators-update-user-problems-and-complaints
  • stelex
    Options
    ahhh, i finally managed to fix it... and all i did was create a custom resolution using amd radeon settings, which is funny cuz i tried that like 20 times, but windows wouldn't let me select it... not sure what changed now? ahhh, sweet relief for my eyes, i've been struggling with this for days, almost went and bought a new monitor today

in any case, tnx a lot for your help, i really appreciate it ;)
  • JordanB
    Options
    @stelex

Ok, good deal.  Hopefully @Jim9988 will be able to set a custom resolution too.  In the meantime, Microsoft (Engineer Chris) said in that reddit link that they are working on a fix.