Aspire E 17 (e5-722-63B3) amd-v disabled, and missing advanced bios menu.

l8nit3
l8nit3 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hello community,
This is my first post here, as this is my first issue with an acer product. I have had many versions of the iconia tabs, and love my predator ag5900.

Recently, i received an acer aspire e17 (e5-722-63B3) laptop from my wife as a birthday gift to replace my failing gateway laptop (nv57h i3-2310). This is my first laptop with an apu built in (A6-7310) and i was quite excited. My first issue, (and likely unsupported here) is that no matter which version of linux i attempt to install (currently running ubuntu 17.04... sorta) I cannot seem to locate a working kernel for the touchpad. so for any programming i do (which is why linux in the first place) i need to use an external mouse.

This was becoming an annoyance, so I decided to simply run a VM within my windows ( in which trackpad works great) and "workaround" my linux issue. So I loaded up VMplayer, and setup a all my settings, only to receive an strange error when attempting to start the VM. The error was "AMD-VT is available, but disabled in bios". Which seemed easy enough to fix. However, when booting into my efi (this model uses efi and not bios) there is no advanced menu, or option for enabling AMD-VT or AMD-V anywhere. And I have researched the specs of my cpu (again a6-7310) and is does feature AMD-VT.

I have updated to the most recent efi firmware available on the acer support site, and have tried every "button combo" i could find on the web to enable this advanced menu and access the necessary options, all to no avail. So I am here farming out my issue to outside assistance from more knowledgeable people here at the community before I resort to drastic measures such as bios/efi modding.

Thank you in advanced for any assistance,
L8nit3

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Acer disables AMD-V in their AMD CPU based laptops and there is no option to enable it.
    Only way to do it is a modified BIOS and can't be discussed here.
    I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Acer disables AMD-V in their AMD CPU based laptops and there is no option to enable it.
    Only way to do it is a modified BIOS and can't be discussed here.
  • l8nit3
    l8nit3 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Wow, really? That is incredibly surprising, and disappointing. Has there ever been an answer as to why? Or is it one of the "trade secrets" kept to their employees only? lol
    As a consumer, it seems like a quick way to anger quite a few people who purchase laptops based on the cpu specs [not that i did, but virtualization was a MUST]. Now i must risk ruining my new toy with a "forbidden" act of modding.
    I am deeply upset that a great company, would take great hardware, and limit it so much with a sub-par bios/efi setup.
    Well that is my rant, thank you IronFly for the information, and Acer...... step up....
  • IronFly
    I really don't know why, to be honest.