Predator Helios 300 Temperature

indomiekuah4
indomiekuah4 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Just bought this laptop few days ago and tested this while playing Witcher 3 for around half an hour with high settings. I see that from PredatorSense the CPU temperature reaches 97C while GPU around 60-80C. Is this normal? Im looking forward to heavy game this laptop for the next 2-3 years. Will this laptop breakdown within few months? Please tell me what is the normal temperature in celcius for gaming laptop in gaming session and at which point it becomes abnormal? I also upgraded the BIOS to V1.5. Thanks!

Best Answer

• indomiekuah4

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

i undervolt the laptop by -0.120V and its stable in a cooler environment around 60-70C before it was 80-90C. V sync, i turned it off and also i dont know why every single time i press ctrl/alt/shift after turning on the laptop, it makes a weird sound and i have to press shift 5 times to make the sound goes away. Does anyone know how to make the sound goes off permanently?

Answers

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon

Are you enabling Vsync while playing? CPU temp is definitely a little high you can enable Vsync if you haven't already and see if it helps. If you have enabled Vsync and it still at those temps I would look into undervolting your CPU next. GPU temps look fine. Normal temps are anywhere from 60c-90c depending on a number of factors including the ambient temperature of the area/room you are in.

• indomiekuah4

Tinkerer

i just did, and i will let you know within a day of gaming. My concern is that well i know the boiling water point is 100C, while my laptop isnt water, it wont evaporate, but im just worried that the chips or whatever inside it will melt? I just spend $1200 including tax n hdd for this laptop and i dont want to spend another $1200 or so within 2 or 3 years.

• Flx

indomiekuah4 wrote:

i just did, and i will let you know within a day of gaming. My concern is that well i know the boiling water point is 100C, while my laptop isnt water, it wont evaporate, but im just worried that the chips or whatever inside it will melt? I just spend $1200 including tax n hdd for this laptop and i dont want to spend another $1200 or so within 2 or 3 years.

Oh no your chips won't melt don't worry about that, at 100c the laptop will shut itself down to prevent damage and the heat tolerance of the chips is much higher than that (I don't have an exact number off-hand). Also make sure coolboost is enabled in PredatorSense if it isn't already. Your laptop should easily last 2-3 years with proper care.

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    97C is not a torelable temperature at all, especially when considering that it is during gaming and not a stress test or a benchmark.

I suggest you to undervolt the CPU and better repaste the laptop(voids warranty). If you don't want to void the warranty send the laptop for a repair to Acer.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• indomiekuah4

Tinkerer

send the laptop to Acer after using it less than 2 weeks? Seriously? Does every gaming laptop get this hot or is it just helios 300? I honestly thinking to return it to Amazon and get Legion or Dell or something that is more cooler if this heat issue is actually abnormal. Can anyone give me an idea on that?

• Flx

indomiekuah4 wrote:

send the laptop to Acer after using it less than 2 weeks? Seriously? Does every gaming laptop get this hot or is it just helios 300? I honestly thinking to return it to Amazon and get Legion or Dell or something that is more cooler if this heat issue is actually abnormal. Can anyone give me an idea on that?

I wouldn't think about sending it back yet, try Vsync on and maybe undervolt it after that. I never see my temps spike above 80 usually they stay mid 60s to 70s even after hours of gaming with a -0.120 undervolt. Gaming laptops usually run hotter than people are used to especially if you came from a desktop. Also you can check reviews on Dell/Legion they usually do thermal tests etc.

• ven98
    I didn't know you have the laptop for less than 2 weeks. Best option is to send it back to Amazon. I wouldn't even think twice about sending it back as the CPU hits 97C. This the temperature limit set from the BIOS. Your CPU will never go higher than that. In order to maintain that temperature limit your CPU's speed gets reduced automatically by the BIOS, which is called 'throttling'. This means that your CPU runs hot and also doesn't run at the clock speeds it is supposed to.

Predators are well known 'at least in this forum, about their bad quality thermal paste, which causes all the headaches. If you are confident repasting the unit yourself again I suggest you to do that. If you don't want to do that, then send it back to Amazon.

If you don't have G-sync V-sync is a very bad option. Your PC can't run at the called frame rate constantly and there will be times, during which your frame rates will go below that and causing screen tearing.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• ven98
    And sluttering
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• indomiekuah4

Tinkerer

how do i check if i have g-sync option? what options other than returning to amazon and repasting the thermal paste do i have? i dont know how to open the back of the laptop and i may destroy or break some parts of it, i try to look for videos on youtube how to thermal paste helios 300 but i cant found one

• indomiekuah4

Tinkerer

could you show me how to undervolt my laptop please?

• ven98

You can check if you have Gsync in Nvidia control panel. Undervolting is easy. There are many videos in youtube showing how to do it. You can use ThrottleStop or Intel extreme tuning utility(XTU) and reducing the voltage of the CPU by 100mV. You can try reducing the voltage more but I suggest you to start with 100mV. If you decease the voltage too much the system will just lock down and you will have to reboot it(nothing harmful). 

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• indomiekuah4

Tinkerer

i will try and let you know today! thanks for your help!!

• Flx

ven98 wrote:

If you don't have G-sync V-sync is a very bad option. Your PC can't run at the called frame rate constantly and there will be times, during which your frame rates will go below that and causing screen tearing.

Can you elaborate more on this? I have Vsync on for every game and see no stuttering or screen tearing. My laptop never dips under 60 either. Now with Vsync off I see TONS of screen tearing. Also what about adaptive Vsync any input on that?

• ven98

I have tried V-sync on many games and it is just horrible without G-sync. I use V-sync only to limit my frames because G-sync works only between 30fps and the screen's refresh rate. Vsync limits my frames to 60 but you can never get constant 60fps in games like forza horizon 3 where the fps constantly jump around. Once even for a split second your fps go below your monitor's refresh rate you get tearing. I am not saying that Vsync is 100% useless but it is usable on games which can manage stable fps. If you can run the game with more fps than your monitor can display, fixed refresh and v-sync off is best option if you don't have G-sync. If you have G-sync then V-sync can be used to cap your frames. Adaptive V-sync turns off V-sync automatically when your fps is lower than your monitor's refresh rate. And because again your fps is lower than 60 you will get tearing. Adaptive V-sync is a bit better than just V-sync as it can remove some sluttering in games, but it just doesn't help much. 

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Flx

ven98 wrote:

I have tried V-sync on many games and it is just horrible without G-sync. I use V-sync only to limit my frames because G-sync works only between 30fps and the screen's refresh rate. Vsync limits my frames to 60 but you can never get constant 60fps in games like forza horizon 3 where the fps constantly jump around. Once even for a split second your fps go below your monitor's refresh rate you get tearing. I am not saying that Vsync is 100% useless but it is usable on games which can manage stable fps. If you can run the game with more fps than your monitor can display, fixed refresh and v-sync off is best option if you don't have G-sync. If you have G-sync then V-sync can be used to cap your frames. Adaptive V-sync turns off V-sync automatically when your fps is lower than your monitor's refresh rate. And because again your fps is lower than 60 you will get tearing. Adaptive V-sync is a bit better than just V-sync as it can remove some sluttering in games, but it just doesn't help much. 

Very interesting, thanks for the reply.

• indomiekuah4

Tinkerer

Hi there, my nvidia driver is 384.94 and in nvidia control panel, i cant found any G sync option. So when i open nvdia control panel, all i can see is just one setting which is 3D Settings. So should i turn on v-sync or off? 

• ven98

No G-sync means that your screen is not compatible with G-sync. You can try turning V-sync on and see if games will perform well. If they don't set it back to off.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Flx

I usually put the Nvidia setting to application controlled and do Vsync on a game by game basis. Any update on your temps OP?

• indomiekuah4

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

i undervolt the laptop by -0.120V and its stable in a cooler environment around 60-70C before it was 80-90C. V sync, i turned it off and also i dont know why every single time i press ctrl/alt/shift after turning on the laptop, it makes a weird sound and i have to press shift 5 times to make the sound goes away. Does anyone know how to make the sound goes off permanently?

• Flx

indomiekuah4 wrote:

Woo glad the temps came down so significantly. What kind of beeping sound is it? Could be sticky keys enabled, you can press windows key+r, type control panel in the box and hit ok. Then go to 'Ease of Access center' and scroll down to 'Make the keyboard easier to use' click it and see if any of the boxes are checked.