Speakers Aspire R11 R3-131T constantly muting

avanhout
avanhout Member Posts: 9 New User

Hello,
I just purchased my Acer Aspire R11 R3-131T - I am very happy with this but I have a problem with the speakers: they are constantly muted, even when I turn off muting it is immediately switched on again. Additionally there is a black box on top of my screen which I cannot remove. How can I remove this box AND have the speakers muting removed?
Many thanks and kind regards,
Anne

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, serial numbers, etc.]

Answers

• Hello Anne,

1. What Windows version do you use?
    2. Could you post here a screen shot about the black box?
    France
  • avanhout

My laptop works with Windows 10 and here is a print screen of the black box on the screen:

speakersmuted.JPG

1. Do the other function keys work?
    2. Could you check if a device has a mark in the Device manager?
    France
  • KEHinWA
    KEHinWA Member Posts: 40 Devotee WiFi Icon

If you have ever paired it with Bluetooh headset, I have had mine end up connected to a headset up stairs I forgot to turn off

• avanhout

The other function keys indeed work. But I did not touch the function key to mute the speakers - it simply occurred when I booted the laptop after the windows 10 upgrade (I do not remember whether this was already the problem with WIndows 8, I did not pay attention).

• avanhout

I did not use a bluetooth headset...

• avanhout

Device Manager states that the Realtek High Definition Audio are in working condition.

• Did you install the Realtek driver for Windows 10-64 bit:

AudioRealtekAudio Driver6.0.1.7553442.4 MB2015/09/02Download
    France
  • avanhout

Hello, I downloaded and installed the Windows 10 65-bit drivers but the problem is still there :-(

Spoiler

• Hello,

Try to reinstall Acer Launch Manager (only the Windows 8.1-64 version is available):

LaunchManagerAcerLaunch Manager8.00.811612.2 MB2015/06/04Download
    France
  • avanhout

Installed the Acer Launch Manager but problem is still there - audio Realtek keeps muting...

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

check this:

1. Open "Sound" applet from Control Panel. You can also access it directly using "mmsys.cpl" command in RUN or Startmenu searchbox. Or right-click on Speaker icon present in system tray and select "Playback devices" or "Recording devices" or "Sounds" option.

2. Now go to "Communications" tab and check the option "Do nothing" and Apply it.

3. That's it. Now Windows will no longer reduce the system volume.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • avanhout

Setting the Communictions to "Do nothing" does also not solve the problem, the speakers are still being muted constantly....

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

According to the list below, the R3-131T requires a BIOS update for Windows 10.

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/windows10-eligible-models

To check your current BIOS version:

Right click on windows start button

Left click on run

Type msinfo32

Click ok

BIOS for your model is here if you need it:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

• avanhout

Hello,

Thanks for the info on the Bios upgrade.

My Bios version is Insyde Corp, V1.06, 25/05/2015

On the list of Acer products requiring a bios upgrade, for my model the following warning is displayed:

* Please make sure to upgrade the BIOS before upgrade to Windows 10

Does this mean I first have to go back to Windows 8? Acer Support advised to do a recovery (which would reset Windows 8) and then to do a Bios upgrade. but I am not really keen on doing this. Is such a recovery and Bios upgrade not tricky to do and dangerous to loose data or configurations?

Many thanks and kind regards,

Anne

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

if you want to be 100% safe, create a system image (a copy of your actual HDD) and have also a bootable windows 10 media, so in the worst case that the BIOS will corrupt your installation, you can use the bootablet windows 10 media to re-install your system as before the BIOS update but with the latest BIOS.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5495-system-image-create-windows-10-a.html

you need a good external HDD to do it but you will have all your data recoverable.

• loveshelbylee
    loveshelbylee Member Posts: 1 New User

I had the exact same thing happen to my R3 131T! I don't know if this is still happening now, but if anything someone else who has the problem can now find the answer on this thread. I tried everthing else on here and it didn't work. All you need to do is turn it off, press the battery reset pin hole ( I held it down for ten seconds), wait a couple minutes and restart and it's working again! The acer support suggested it and I didn't think it would work but it did! Extra note: I did have the audio disabled. if you go into Device Manager (right click on start button) you find the sound folder, highlight real tech, the diable button is on the top toolbar thing. Smiley Very Happy

Hope this helps!!

• BKnight
    BKnight Member Posts: 1 New User

Tried all solutions on this thread but nothing fixed it. Eventually fixed by makng change in BIOS.

Change Touchpad from Advanced to Basic. Also in Sound Properties tick the Limited Output in the Custom Tab.