Re: Dual boot issue in Acer E5-573G with Kali Linux 2016.2

Ankit
Ankit Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives

Actuall I was trying to dual boot Kali linux 2016.2 on my Acer E5-573g laptop (I have Windows 10 installed). After complition of installation I used easyBCD to alter bootloader option as I was not receiving dual boot option and the grub loader was also not working. Even then the Kali linux didn't load, instead it gave an error on black screen as NST/AutoNeoGrub0.mbr not found. I have tried  using live CD to reinstall Grub loader but it didn't work either.

The BIOS version is V1.3. I have already followed almost all the procedures and solution available online i.e.either on google or on youtube, almost every site possible but I am unable to solve it. So, could you please teach me to resolve this problem. It would be really nice of you if you could give detailed procedure for this as I am quite new to Linux.

Answers

• Ankit

Tinkerer

Thank you very much. It was a great help.

• Ankit

Tinkerer

After going through it I found out that it was not so difficult after all. For other users of Acer Laptops I would like to simplify the entire procedure and put it in following simple steps:

• If you have a pre-installed Windows OS, which ever it might be like 7,8,8.1 or 10, you need to do is disable Secure Boot in your BIOS first. You can do it as follows:                                                                                                          
      1. Press F2 on your keyboard after pressing Power button.
      2. Go to “Security” option and “Set Supervisor Password”.

(Note: Write down the supervisor password as it will be necessary to be entered every-time you wish to enter into your BIOS settings by pressing F2)

• Now go to "Boot Option" that lies just beside "Security". There you will find "Secure Boot" option and it will be in "Enable" state. Press Enter and use arrow keys to choose "Disable" option and Press Enter. Press F10 to "Save & Exit". 
    • We are done with secure boot part. Now, make a bootable USB stick for any of the Linux distors and install using the procedures that you will find on "Youtube" and many other channels & sites. I would personally recommend you to use Youtube.
    • After the installation is done the computer will automatically boot into Windows OS and no option for Linux distribution that you currently installed will be shown. Don't you worry at all.
      1. All you need to do now is "Shutdown" your computer and Press F2 button just like before after pressing "Power Button". A black screen requesting to "Enter Password" will pop up instead of directly opening the BIOS settings. Enter the "Supervisor Password" in it (This is why I had asked you to note it down) and press Enter.
      2. Now go to "Boot" option and "Enable" Secure boot.
      3. Then go to "Security" and select “Select an UEFI file as trusted for executing: ” option. To select it you simply need to press Enter button. Now you will see a screen with an option like “HDDO”. Press enter then you will find <EFI> option. Press Enter and then you will see following options:                                                                                                <.>                                                                                                                                                                            <..>                                                                                                                                                          <Microsoft>                                                                                                                                                     <Boot>                                                                                                                                                            <Kali>    (This option pops up in my case, but in yours you may find the name of your version of Linux).
      4. Simply choose <Kali> option and press enter. Now you will enter into another page with an option as: “grubx64.efi”. Press Enter to select this option.
      5.  A new dialog box requesting to enter a valid name will appear. Simply write Kali or Linux or anything you like in it and press enter.
      6. By following this procedure we have successfully made an entry for Linux in boot menu.                                         The work’s not done yet. Now go to “Boot” option where you will probably find an Entry for Linux at the end of “Boot Priority Order” list. If you don’t find it then simply “save & exit” by pressing F10 and reboot to BIOS settings.
        1. We are now going to arrange the “Boot priority order”, so select the “Windows boot Loader” option and move it down to the bottom of the list. Then select Linux Loader option which might be like “Kali Linux …..” or something like that and move it to the top of the list. “Save & exit”.
        2. You might have found your Linux loader working but you will not find an entry for Windows in it. Don’t worry my friend. Now when you have booted into Linux, simply open the Terminal (it is a black colored icon on the list placed on left side of the screen. If you cannot find it simply use Youtube.)
    • Now type “update-grub” in it and press enter (type the command without double quotes). The terminal will automatically add entry for Windows in Grub.
    1. Finally we are done. Shutdown your computer and press the power button you will have grub loader popping up on the screen with both Linux and Windows in it.
  • Ankit

Tinkerer

Thank You very much. It was a great help.

• Renato9
    Renato9 Member Posts: 4 New User

Thank you!

It works perfect. I made dual boot in notebook Acer Aspire F5, with windows10 and ubuntu16.04.02LTS.

• ana_sa12
    ana_sa12 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you so much!!!!!! I´ve been trying LOTS of tutorials without success for weeks, and I was even thinking in selling my notebook because I needed a dual boot and couldn´t have it. 

Worked in a Switch Alpha 12 with UEFI, for windows 10 and ubuntu 16.04.3.
  • cassiocsantana
    cassiocsantana Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Hello friend, your tutorial I help a lot, one more problem happening and me very much. I have the version of ubuntu 18.04 LTS the big problem is that every time you update the bub, so it goes well in windows or Linux, it is renitiando appears a message on the screen of the notebook that neither of the time to read, only when I enter the bios and I am going to move it in the operations I add another in the order of the boot what was before it returns to work, I do not know if it is some problem of the grub something of the genre! can you help me?
  • sauloamadio
    sauloamadio Member Posts: 1 New User
    I gave a Acer  notebook  and very unhappapy  with that. 
    Can't do dual boot win10 / Kali. 
    Why is it só complicated!!!
    Why don't simplifie things !!!!
  • Zhenriquecps
    Zhenriquecps Member Posts: 4 New User
    Ankit said:

After going through it I found out that it was not so difficult after all. For other users of Acer Laptops I would like to simplify the entire procedure and put it in following simple steps:

• If you have a pre-installed Windows OS, which ever it might be like 7,8,8.1 or 10, you need to do is disable Secure Boot in your BIOS first. You can do it as follows:                                                                                                          
      1. Press F2 on your keyboard after pressing Power button.
      2. Go to “Security” option and “Set Supervisor Password”.

(Note: Write down the supervisor password as it will be necessary to be entered every-time you wish to enter into your BIOS settings by pressing F2)

• Now go to "Boot Option" that lies just beside "Security". There you will find "Secure Boot" option and it will be in "Enable" state. Press Enter and use arrow keys to choose "Disable" option and Press Enter. Press F10 to "Save & Exit". 
    • We are done with secure boot part. Now, make a bootable USB stick for any of the Linux distors and install using the procedures that you will find on "Youtube" and many other channels & sites. I would personally recommend you to use Youtube.
    • After the installation is done the computer will automatically boot into Windows OS and no option for Linux distribution that you currently installed will be shown. Don't you worry at all.
      1. All you need to do now is "Shutdown" your computer and Press F2 button just like before after pressing "Power Button". A black screen requesting to "Enter Password" will pop up instead of directly opening the BIOS settings. Enter the "Supervisor Password" in it (This is why I had asked you to note it down) and press Enter.
      2. Now go to "Boot" option and "Enable" Secure boot.
      3. Then go to "Security" and select “Select an UEFI file as trusted for executing: ” option. To select it you simply need to press Enter button. Now you will see a screen with an option like “HDDO”. Press enter then you will find <EFI> option. Press Enter and then you will see following options:                                                                                                <.>                                                                                                                                                                            <..>                                                                                                                                                          <Microsoft>                                                                                                                                                     <Boot>                                                                                                                                                            <Kali>    (This option pops up in my case, but in yours you may find the name of your version of Linux).
      4. Simply choose <Kali> option and press enter. Now you will enter into another page with an option as: “grubx64.efi”. Press Enter to select this option.
      5.  A new dialog box requesting to enter a valid name will appear. Simply write Kali or Linux or anything you like in it and press enter.
      6. By following this procedure we have successfully made an entry for Linux in boot menu.                                         The work’s not done yet. Now go to “Boot” option where you will probably find an Entry for Linux at the end of “Boot Priority Order” list. If you don’t find it then simply “save & exit” by pressing F10 and reboot to BIOS settings.
        1. We are now going to arrange the “Boot priority order”, so select the “Windows boot Loader” option and move it down to the bottom of the list. Then select Linux Loader option which might be like “Kali Linux …..” or something like that and move it to the top of the list. “Save & exit”.
        2. You might have found your Linux loader working but you will not find an entry for Windows in it. Don’t worry my friend. Now when you have booted into Linux, simply open the Terminal (it is a black colored icon on the list placed on left side of the screen. If you cannot find it simply use Youtube.)
    • Now type “update-grub” in it and press enter (type the command without double quotes). The terminal will automatically add entry for Windows in Grub.
    1. Finally we are done. Shutdown your computer and press the power button you will have grub loader popping up on the screen with both Linux and Windows in it.
    eu tentei tudo isso mas meu windows desapareceu, e n exclui nenhuma partição dele,tenho um dual boot com o fedora 30