v3 575g . Can't format SSD drive to install OS. 0x0070057 error

Options
LostGuru
LostGuru Member Posts: 7 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

My keyboard had a damaged key, so I replaced it.  Prior to that by several weeks I had upgraded to an SSD.  The drive was working great until I put the keyboard in.  Then it refused to boot.  It would not even boot from a windows 10 CD.  After multiple attempts to fix it including going back to the old keyboard I removed the SSD and popped the old drive in.  Then I set the bios back to defaults, and it booted.  Yaay.  So I thought anyway.  The SSD tested out as OK on another computer, no bad sectors or anything.  I bought a new one just in case.  I put that one in and inserted the windows disk.  This one at least boots to setup, but when I try to format / partition the drive it doesn't really work.  1. it takes way too long.  2. it will only format 2 out of the 4 partitions it eventually correctly created.  It gives me a windows error code of 0x80070057 on the other 2. 

This is a single drive system with a built in optical drive.  I get the same error code from USB as I do from DVD installation.  The SSD shows up in the bios, as does all the ram.  The computer works flawlessly with a non-SSD.... its just really slow compared to an SSD.  Before switching the keyboard the SSD worked flawlessly and it is still back on the original keyboard.  All the internal cables are connected.

Any thoughts?  I'm suspecting a bios corruption in the driver for the SSD.  But that is a total guess.  It came with windows 10, and I plan to reinstall that.

Best Answer

• LostGuru
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yeah.  I figured it out.  It was getting intermittent access to the drive because of the port being damaged (solder joint to the board).  Unfortunately I broke a tiny part off of the board finding that out.  I'm generally pretty good with laptops, I have fixed quite a few for friends, family and classmates.  Things is, I don't know what component it is I busted off, it is tiny, 1mm x .5mm x .2mm or there about.  It fell on the floor, and my vision isn't bad, but I'm no superman. I'm also no EE major, mine is biology, hence the microscope at home.

It is my oldest step son's laptop.  In 20+ years of messing with them (over 20 units repaired) this is my first time I couldn't fix it or made it worse.  He's been begging for my MSI.  I'll price a board, but I might just get him a different laptop.  My suspicion is price wise it will make the most sense.

Answers

• LostGuru
    Options

I think I may have figured it out.  There is a botton on the motherboard that I know got pressed in the rebuild.  I pressed it trying to figure out if it was in fact a button.  I don't know what it does.  I do know that setting the bios back to default itself could have changed it back to UEFI.  I reset it to leagacy mode and it looks like its installing.  WooHoo.  This has been brutal.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

don't install windows 10 on Legacy mode on modern laptops, you are not using the best settings and legacy is no more safe.

Switch back to UEFi and manage to install windows 10.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Use the link below to help you install Windows 10 in UEFI mode.  The link is about Windows 8.1 but it's the same instructions for Windows 10.  As Ironfly said, don't use legacy mode......it's insecure and prone to rootkits.

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Acer-Aspire-V3-772-Windows-8-1-clean-install/td-p/449512

• LostGuru
    Options

It wouldnt install without going into legacy.  Wouldn't even try.  I got windows installed and booting.  It's still not acting right though.  Things are taking way too long.  I will update the bios and see if that helps.  It took about 6 hours to force windows onto the disk.  I had to install it over top of itself and remove the "old windows" to get it on at all.  If I reformatted the drive it would not go on without the double.  Even then, it took about 5 tries to redo it after I tried for a single copy install.  I have never seen a computer act this badly. The SSD is brand new, not even the original one that had the problem.  My step son has an identical unit, also running on an SSD and he comes over tomorrow.  I will try to copy his bios settings to see if that helps.  His runs fine.  I'm updating windows right now.  Its the huge update... could take a few hours.  Ugh.

I'm also running updates on the bios.  I will try to boot to UEFI after I update the bios and see if it works.  I hate to remove this install without at least getting that done.

• LostGuru
    Options

I got the bios to update, it switched itself back to UEFI.  Its been trying to create the partitions for about 15 mins now.  I'll see if I can find the programs mentioned in that other thread.  This is really weord though, its a brand new drive. I didn't havethis trouble with the other laptop, or this one when I originally upgraded it to an SSD. 

Getting quite frustrated.

• LostGuru
    Options

20170304_222509.jpg

Well, I think I might be starting to understand.  The disk showed up in diskpart, then disapeared mid cleanup.  Then when I restarted diskpart the disk was there again.  I'm thinking its a bad connection.  The sata bridge might have a damaged solder joint or something.  If the drive is intermittently disconnecting itself that would explain why windows is so dang hard to install.  I did get the drive to clean, but so far no luck on getting windows back on there.  The drive can't be partitioned by windows setup.  It just gets stuck.  When I restart the partitions are there, but it never finishes the process. At Ieast its down to making 2 partitions instead of the 4 it originally went for.

I guess I have to disassemble the unit again and check the sata bridge very closely.  This is such a pain.  I wish I never tried to fix the dang keyboard.

• JordanB
    Options

Please go back and carefully read and carefully follow my Windows installation instructions.  

• LostGuru
    Options

I did.  Last night after my last reply it installed.  But it runs super slow.  A start up time of over 5 minutes for an SSD machine?  There is something wrong hardware wise.  The drive literally disapeared after being found by diskpart.  I think at this point I need to address that.  Plus even now that it is "installed" its still about a 25% on starting up without blue screening at least once.  It is installed in UEFI mode.  The bios update reset settings and other than adjusting the boot order to trigger the windows disk I did nothing to the settings the update left me with.

I ignored the section about making UEFI boot media becuase I have done UEFI installs with that disk before.  So I know its capable of it.

Update: using my microscope and my cell phone light (had to adapt to reflected not transmission mode as the motherboard is not translucent) I was able to identify an obviously cracked solder joint.  There are 2 others that look suspicious but I'm not convinced they are cracked.  I have soldered on small things before, even watches.  But it always makes me nervous.  I'm far from enthused about what happens next, it is so easy to ruin boards with a soldering iron.

Update #2: never mind.  Apparently the clip on the stage damaged a component on the board.  I just noticed it.  Game over, I need a new board.  This sucks.  Two of the boys kept trying to pick up and check out the components when I took it apart.  I stopped them pretty quick, but I did get up to get the stuff to clean everything off and regrease the CPU leaving everything on the kitchen table where I was working.  It's possible I damaged the joint pulling the hard drive in and out, though that usually shouldn't do it.

• JordanB
    Options

ok sorry. I'm out of ideas.  

Hope you get it figured out.   Good luck. 

• LostGuru
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yeah.  I figured it out.  It was getting intermittent access to the drive because of the port being damaged (solder joint to the board).  Unfortunately I broke a tiny part off of the board finding that out.  I'm generally pretty good with laptops, I have fixed quite a few for friends, family and classmates.  Things is, I don't know what component it is I busted off, it is tiny, 1mm x .5mm x .2mm or there about.  It fell on the floor, and my vision isn't bad, but I'm no superman. I'm also no EE major, mine is biology, hence the microscope at home.

It is my oldest step son's laptop.  In 20+ years of messing with them (over 20 units repaired) this is my first time I couldn't fix it or made it worse.  He's been begging for my MSI.  I'll price a board, but I might just get him a different laptop.  My suspicion is price wise it will make the most sense.

• JordanB
    Options

Yeah, I've made a couple costly computer blunders over the years.  It happens to everyone.