windows 10 will not boot and won't recover

Stevieboy69
Stevieboy69 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi

PC will not boot up it goes to the advanced options tries to start the repair but says it has a fatal error. Will not boot into the Acer recovery drive and won't bot into safe mode.  Any ideas????? Running windows 10 and PC is about 12months old with a i5 6400 processor.

Thanks Steve

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

This article applies to laptops and desktops running Windows 10:
    upgraded from a previous version of Windows and experiencing issues with startups or need to do a windows 10 clean install;
    pre-installed from the factory but unable to create the Acer factory recovery (see this FAQ about Acer recovery media creation in the OS: Windows 10: Create a USB Recovery Drive using Acer Care Center ).
    Microsoft has released a downloadable tool to create installation (and recovery) media, using an USB flash drive or DVD.

Download Windows 10

Once downloaded, launch the .exe file and follow the on screen instructions.

If you need to recover your desktop/laptop from startup issues:
    1. Insert the media and power on the machine.
    2. Tap F12 to launch the boot manager.
    3. Select USB (or DVD drive).
    4. Select your language and press next.
    5. Click on Repair your computer.
    6. Click on Reset this PC if you want to try to keep your files and re-install windows 10 or click Advanced Options to attempt to restore from a previous point.

If you need to perform a clean install or re-install on your factory installed windows 10:
    Please read the detailed instructions from Microsoft "Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool".
    Note
    If you have upgraded to Windows 10 on this PC by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer and successfully activated Windows 10 on this PC in the past, you won't have a Windows 10 product key, and you can skip the product key page by selecting the Skip button. Your PC will activate online automatically so long as the same edition of Windows 10 was successfully activated on this PC by using the free Windows 10 upgrade offer.
    If your desktop/laptop had windows 10 from factory, you can skip the product key page by selecting the Skip button. The product key will be automatically read from BIOS and successfully activated.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • clshaifer
    clshaifer Member Posts: 3 New User
    I have tried all of the "fixes" suggested both by this forum and by being online numerous times with tech support at Microsoft who basically tell me the same thing.  When I try to do these things I end up with a blue screen with a white box saying "......it looks like I tried to boot from upgrade media.  Click YES if I want to run from the media (which I already have in my machine) or click NO if I want to perform a Clean Install.". When I click either I get another error screen either telling me to remove the media and reboot or I get one saying that clean boot can not from run using this option"........    
    I have a 2 TB hard drive so can I create a partition without losing any of my data and then boot from that partition? 

I am really getting frustrated with this problem.  I have talked to Microsoft so many times and no matter what you tell them they always have you download the Media Creation Tool, (which of course I have done before every speaking to them!) and then they maybe be really trying but they are of no help so far.