ATC-705-uc52 want to upgrade graphics. How to find information on what the motherboard will take

Kritter
Kritter Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

I bought this computer and the on-board graphics will not handle any semi-serious gaming.  So I want to put another graphics card in.  I can't find any information on the motherboard other than ATC ATC-705.  How do I find or get the correct specs to know what I can look for?  I don't want to just take a guess and end up taking the card back to the store.  I want to put in a Nvidia graphics card (Brand does not matter) 

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Hello, I would say your best bet would be to take the side off your machine. This will tell you what you need to know about size and what not. Your main issue is that your i7 machine only has a 300watt psu. Your machine has 12 gig of ram upgradeable to 16 if your case is like I think it is there is loads of room inside.

James
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

Your TC-705 should have an available PCI-e x16 slot.  I think when they designed the TC-705, they anticipated someone might install a single width, UEFI card that requires 300 watts or less power supply.  That narrows things down quite a bit. 

The power supply is standard ATX and upgradable, but a double width card may, in some cases, require a cable mod(s) as the USB 3.0 cable is too stiff for some cards to fit.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • robort
    robort Member Posts: 3 New User

I have the same machine. I joined up with tom'shardware and received replies to some of my questions within 10 or 15 minutes. I selected and installed an Nvidia (EVGA) GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SC Gaming. Other brands per your choice - same or similar model number- with same specs. Fits nicely with a bit of room to spare.

I bought a bayite AC 80-260V 100A BAYITE-PZEM-061 Multimeter on amzon for $16.98 to measure wattage just to get an idea how how much used/ available power for my system. To use it I will incorporate a short extention cord, separate hot from neutral in middle of cord; cut the hot and crimp on male/ female connectors. The multimeter comes with a round ring, one wire from the extention cord goes through the round ring.

I'm not a gamer, just wanted upgrade for streaming videos and the like. The card I refered to uses no separate power connector. Its rated full load usage is 75 watts. Suggested minimum power supply is 300W. There are several related (single fan) models with same rating. Cost about $110 to $150 depending which model. Double fan models are quite large and I'm almost certain you won't have anywhere near enough clearance available to install them.

Your core i7 cpu full load uses up to 75W (or so the rating I read specified).

I installed a Sound Blaster audigy rx (pcie x1) fits/ works great. Just under $60 amazon.

That's all I got fur ya...

• robort
    robort Member Posts: 3 New User

Your right.

I began by looking at these plug-in models however I misinterpreted the rating information.

Stupid mistake.

15 amps maximum and 1,800 watts.

More than enough.

Thanks for making the correction.

Assuming it's accurate (and it probably is) the plugin would work nicely for this purpose at $18.38.

Regards